Former Miami RB gets a fresh start with Louisville (article)

Advertisement
Wish Chaney would’ve stuck around. When he was feeling it, he really was a game changer. Got hurt too much and kept and it kept getting him pushed down the depth chart. Good luck to him.

Advertisement
Kids today ain’t sticking around and waiting for their turn.

It’s a two way street, especially when you factor in NIL and returns on those investments.

stay healthy and produce or you risk getting passed up.

The problem is that we don't have any running backs that stand out from the others. They were all slow until we got Chris Johnson and that kid Wheatley.
None of those guys are slow. Johnson and Wheatley have track speed. There are only a handful of RBs with elite track speed.

Advertisement
Chaney played in 11 games this season, the only games he didn't play was UVA & Rutgers. He was pretty healthy for most of the season.

He had 1 game over 100yds & only 2 games over 80.

He's average & has been average for the entirety of his career. That's why a TF RB with very little wiggle & 4.5/4.6 speed came in & took most of his carries.

People just decided they liked him so they've given him a pass, but he's hasn't shown anything to warrant the support he gets on here, except for the fact that our fans always fall in love with mediocre players.
Thought he played well against Bethune Cookman.

🤷‍♂️

That boy puss gone be hurting by week 2 good luck Flethcher came and took his job🤷‍♂️
Fletch is wheeling himself around campus on a knee scooter these days.

No idea of his injury but luckily the season begins in 7 months.

Poor kid. He got run into the ground by his High School coach at Belen. His body is so beat up Im surprised he didn’t transfer to Australia to join Ricky Williams.

Fletch is wheeling himself around campus on a knee scooter these days.

No idea of his injury but luckily the season begins in 7 months.
Hope he's good. Sucks how bad we get him with injury at RB been a while since we had a true rb1 what Homer 5 years ago. Would love to see Chris Johnson show out this year would be big to have a home run threat at RB with Cam this year. Also hope Citizen comes in ready to go finally 🙏

Advertisement
Chaney transferred to an ACC rival. I wish him no luck. Maybe he will visit Louisville's weight room because he sure didn't in his time at Miami.

It’s 2024. Not going to happen. We have 6 scholarship running backs. You’re gonna tell four of them “barring injury, none of you guys will play”? You’ll be down to three scholarship running backs as soon as the portal re-opens. Not to mention, mileage is a big deal for running back recruits. The average NFL career for a RB is short. Nobody wants to draft a running back who has a ton of carries in college because he’s already started to wear down before he even plays a pro game. The days of giving one guy 20+ carries a game are pretty much over. Fletcher will likely be our starter next year. He’ll get 15 carries and the other ~20 carries will get split between two or three different backs.
You saying Corum isn’t the first back taken in next year’s draft?

You saying Corum isn’t the first back taken in next year’s draft?
I don’t know but I’m not trying to model my offense after Michigan. They were average to below average in most categories offensively. The only thing I’d like to copy off them is not turning the ball over.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I don’t know but I’m it trying to model my offense after Michigan. They were average to below average in most categories offensively. The only thing I’d like to copy off them is not turning the ball over.
Lmao - everybody has been riding Harbaugh’s junk on this board saying he’s light years ahead Cristobal. Yet, the national championship team’s offense can kick rocks??? I thought the narrative for Cristobal was just win baby!

It’s 2024. Not going to happen. We have 6 scholarship running backs. You’re gonna tell four of them “barring injury, none of you guys will play”? You’ll be down to three scholarship running backs as soon as the portal re-opens. Not to mention, mileage is a big deal for running back recruits. The average NFL career for a RB is short. Nobody wants to draft a running back who has a ton of carries in college because he’s already started to wear down before he even plays a pro game. The days of giving one guy 20+ carries a game are pretty much over. Fletcher will likely be our starter next year. He’ll get 15 carries and the other ~20 carries will get split between two or three different backs.

In theory we keep a rotation to keep everyone fresh. But talent usually dictates rotation/workload.

The NFL isn't shying away from drafting 20+ carry RB's high - Bijan Robinson, Zach Charbonnet, Breece Hall, Kenneth Walker, etc. were college workhorse RB's.

If we had a RB last year with that type of talent Mario would happily be giving them 20 carries a game IMO.

What we currently have is a deep backfield with no special RB, and not a ton of talent separation between our top 4-5 RB's. So it makes sense to rotate them.

What we're hoping for is 1 RB separates themselves from the pack talent-wise and gets a majority of the carries. That didn't happen last year, but hopefully it does this year.

In theory we keep a rotation to keep everyone fresh. But talent usually dictates rotation/workload.

The NFL isn't shying away from drafting 20+ carry RB's high - Bijan Robinson, Zach Charbonnet, Breece Hall, Kenneth Walker, etc. were college workhorse RB's.

If we had a RB last year with that type of talent Mario would happily be giving them 20 carries a game IMO.

What we currently have is a deep backfield with no special RB, and not a ton of talent separation between our top 4-5 RB's. So it makes sense to rotate them.

What we're hoping for is 1 RB separates themselves from the pack talent-wise and gets a majority of the carries. That didn't happen last year, but hopefully it does this year.
I should have probably re phrased that. Running back recruits usually don't want to be half worn down before they enter the draft. NFL teams will draft heavy workload guys because they know they won't resign them once their cheap rookie contract expires. If a running back wants that lucrative second contract, the more tread left on the tires, the better.

I think Georgia is the baseplate for how Mario wants our offense to look. They split the workload between multiple backs every year. Usually their top guy gets 150-160 carries. Rember, Georgia often plays multiple post season games so 160 carries divided by 13-15 games isn't a ton of per game carries. And it's definitely not because they haven't had any premier back recently. It's because they have multiple guys they want to get on the field and keep their backs fresh.

Last edited:
Lmao - everybody has been riding Harbaugh’s junk on this board saying he’s light years ahead Cristobal. Yet, the national championship team’s offense can kick rocks??? I thought the narrative for Cristobal was just win baby!
IMO the Michigan & Georgia NC's were won based on having dominant defenses. They're offenses weren't good but not special, but a more grind it out ball control approach works well when paired with a great D. But they wouldn't be NC's without dominant D's.

Before them the LSU & Alabama teams were offensive juggernauts who won by crushing you with offensive talent.

It goes in waves and there's all different ways to win. There only common theme I see is get as much talent as you can on both sides of the ball.

Advertisement
Back