Ford weighing 295 and transfer DT Tito Odenigbo with 2nd team

This staff places way more emphasis on stamina and being able to move for 4 quarters than the last staff. Last staff kids were gaining too much weight and didn't have enough juice to get it done when it mattered. They understand our league is fast pace and a lot of up-tempo east and west passes. You must be able to move if you are going to play defense in the ACC

Advertisement
Nothing would make me happier then if Tito took Bethels starting spot and Bethel backed up Willis. I just don't know how Bethel will hold up against the run. Give me the kid who has been playing in the Big 10 the last 3-4 years and is use to having to hold his own in the run game against some men-folk in the trenches. Of course let the best man win but I like that Tito is pushing Bethel.

Agreed. I like Bethel, but I like him backing up Willis at the 3T spot. Just don't see him being effective at 1T unless they plan to role with two 3Ts as the starting unit. I think Tito is much better suited to stop the run than Bethel.

I like Willis and Tito starting with Bethel and Ford backing them up.

You talking about atkins? That dude was around 320.
No he wasn’t Barton Simmons had an article recently on it.

Smart’s lecture began with a chart of Alabama’s starting lineup during the 2009 national championship game. Featured prominently were nose tackle Terrence Cody (365 pounds) and inside linebacker Dont'a Hightower (260 pounds). Smart flashed to another slide displaying his 2017 equivalents to that All-American pair, John Atkins (305 pounds) and Roquan Smith (225 pounds).
How Kirby Smart's defenses have evolved since the 'dinosaur' age

Advertisement
No he wasn’t Barton Simmons had an article recently on it.

Smart’s lecture began with a chart of Alabama’s starting lineup during the 2009 national championship game. Featured prominently were nose tackle Terrence Cody (365 pounds) and inside linebacker Dont'a Hightower (260 pounds). Smart flashed to another slide displaying his 2017 equivalents to that All-American pair, John Atkins (305 pounds) and Roquan Smith (225 pounds).
How Kirby Smart's defenses have evolved since the 'dinosaur' age
Its wrong. Those articles have wrong weights all the time. He was picked up by the patriots and he is 320.

That was actually an interesting article. Golden was desperately trying to turn us into a Bama D instead of keeping with our traditional style. I remember Golden saying, “It’s no longer okay to come into UM and be a 200lb at LB.”..smh.

Jeremiah Ratliff played NT in the Cowboys 3-4 at 6’4” 290 and he was a stud
Back in 2015 these guys were playing NT in the NFL and were not 330-350 lbs.--remember Ford has a ways to go before graduation so this 295 reduced weight will probably go up as he gains muscle with maturity and S&C.

Ian williams--49ers 302lbs.

Gunther-- Packers-- 304lbs

Logam-- Eagles --309lbs

Advertisement
The DL has promise but is short on experience. Career games played:

Tito 20
Willis 14
Djax 22
Jackson 23
Bethel 15
Garvin 13
Ford 7
Patchan 6 (1 at DE)

Obviously his natural position is the 3T, but I wonder if it will make some sense to play Willis at the 1T. He's 300 lbs so he's plenty big enough to do it in the modern game. This allows you to get your best 4 DL out there, so that you aren't forcing Tito or Ford in over Bethel simply because of position.

Obviously his natural position is the 3T, but I wonder if it will make some sense to play Willis at the 1T. He's 300 lbs so he's plenty big enough to do it in the modern game. This allows you to get your best 4 DL out there, so that you aren't forcing Tito or Ford in over Bethel simply because of position.

At some point people need to realize that Bethel is holding down that 1st team spot because he is playing well and is a quality player. Dude is known as one of the strongest players on our team. Steady and reliable. The DT version of Trent Harris.

Advertisement
At some point people need to realize that Bethel is holding down that 1st team spot because he is playing well and is a quality player. Dude is known as one of the strongest players on our team. Steady and reliable. The DT version of Trent Harris.

I don't disagree at all. The question becomes which of Bethel and Willis would we rather play out of position at the 1T. Willis is 300 and Bethel is 285 so just by virtue of that it seems like Willis at 1T could make some sense.

Our D tackles aren't the biggest but these kids are very athletic! We are built for our conference.

We'll see about this when the weather gets colder in Boston and Blacksburg. Speed and quickness is great but some good it did us against Pitt/Clemson/Wisconsin. We look stronger but we have to hope that smaller players like Bethel and Garvin hold up to the rigors of these late season cold weather contests. Tito's background will come in handy in these scenarios.

I don't disagree at all. The question becomes which of Bethel and Willis would we rather play out of position at the 1T. Willis is 300 and Bethel is 285 so just by virtue of that it seems like Willis at 1T could make some sense.

Are we sure Bethel is out of position at the 1T? Are we sure that we have one of the 2 DTs on the field designated as 1T exclusively and one designated as 3T exclusively? Is it possible that our versatile DTs play a side and shift in gap based on the offense's alignment (strong side), with both spending reps at each of 1T or 3T?

I don't know the answers to these questions and am genuinely curious if anyone has more insight.

I'm not completely ready to dismiss Bethel's ability to operate as a 1T just due to his weight. He's one of the strongest dudes on the team. If he has the core and functional strength to penetrate off the line in his desired trajectory without being moved off path by the OL, thus causing a jam, then his lack of ten pounds on paper won't matter.

Advertisement
We'll see about this when the weather gets colder in Boston and Blacksburg. Speed and quickness is great but some good it did us against Pitt/Clemson/Wisconsin. We look stronger but we have to hope that smaller players like Bethel and Garvin hold up to the rigors of these late season cold weather contests. Tito's background will come in handy in these scenarios.

Of course their are outliers but most offenses in this league are not Big rugged down hill running teams. Offenses are spread and sideline to sideline. Having depth and speed at all 3 levels is paramount.

Also Wisconsin is not in our conference. You have to win your conference before you can worry about bowl games.

295 is decent for the middle with our scheme. On average, Diaz prioritizes penetration over soaking up blockers. For comparison, RJ McIntosh was listed at 286 lbs at combine.

Are we sure Bethel is out of position at the 1T? Are we sure that we have one of the 2 DTs on the field designated as 1T exclusively and one designated as 3T exclusively? Is it possible that our versatile DTs play a side and shift in gap based on the offense's alignment (strong side), with both spending reps at each of 1T or 3T?

I don't know the answers to these questions and am genuinely curious if anyone has more insight.

I'm not completely ready to dismiss Bethel's ability to operate as a 1T just due to his weight. He's one of the strongest dudes on the team. If he has the core and functional strength to penetrate off the line in his desired trajectory without being moved off path by the OL, thus causing a jam, then his lack of ten pounds on paper won't matter.

No not sure Bethel is out of position at 1T. Obviously if that is his natural position then that would be ideal.

I'm fairly certain we have one DT designated each as 3T and 1T. I remember on signing day Kul and Richt both said we got the best 1T and 3T in Florida. I feel like Diaz has referenced it several times as well.

Advertisement
Back