For those of you that lived through the glory years...

RiDLer80

All-American
Cherish that sh't. I posted this in the WEZ, but I didn't get to live through the 80s and early 90s. I was born in '89. I didn't start watching college football until 2005 or so. So I didn't get to appreciate the 2000-2002 teams live. I came in in 2005 and it's been pretty much all downhill since then.

I've seen lesser programs rise in the time that we've stayed down. Programs without the tradition, history, pedigree or local fertile recruiting grounds. Teams like Clemson, Oregon, Baylor, TCU etc. Watching the best players from SoFla flock to the SEC just shows how far the program has fallen. When players whose parents are Miami fans choose to get the fck outta state and play at some hillbilly school that should tell you where Miami stands as a program.

Reading about the money other schools spend on their football programs while we struggle to fund an IPF and go bargain bin shopping for coaching staffs, it shows how far behind we are. I'm not saying we'll never reach the pinnacle again, but we're being left further and further behind with each under-performing season and that light at the end of tunnel is getting dimmer.

Advertisement
we used to have an aura about us in those early 00 times

if a team get a lead on us, it was like they couldn't believe it

teams used to live in fear of playing us, they just wanted to make sure they didn't get destroyed and they were pretty much happy

It will happen again. I pointed out in another thread that the common denominator with our most successful coaches is that they were innovators in some way. Schnelly with recruiting in the hood. JJ invented the Miami 4-3. Erickson was a pioneer of the spread offense (getting player makers in space!) Butch is probably the best there ever was with identifying talent. Miami has to find a coach who is an innovator.

Advertisement
The common denominator for this trash is our AD. We need to get this dude fired. I can't believe there hasn't been any banners flown with "Fire Blake James!"

Cherish that sh't. I posted this in the WEZ, but I didn't get to live through the 80s and early 90s. I was born in '89. I didn't start watching college football until 2005 or so. So I didn't get to appreciate the 2000-2002 teams live. I came in in 2005 and it's been pretty much all downhill since then.

I've seen lesser programs rise in the time that we've stayed down. Programs without the tradition, history, pedigree or local fertile recruiting grounds. Teams like Clemson, Oregon, Baylor, TCU etc. Watching the best players from SoFla flock to the SEC just shows how far the program has fallen. When players whose parents are Miami fans choose to get the fck outta state and play at some hillbilly school that should tell you where Miami stands as a program.

Reading about the money other schools spend on their football programs while we struggle to fund an IPF and go bargain bin shopping for coaching staffs, it shows how far behind we are. I'm not saying we'll never reach the pinnacle again, but we're being left further and further behind with each under-performing season and that light at the end of tunnel is getting dimmer.
Good post! I feel sorry for you not witnessing what I have but I commend your knowledge and understanding of the history and what it takes.

Advertisement
The common denominator for this trash is our AD. We need to get this dude fired. I can't believe there hasn't been any banners flown with "Fire Blake James!"

I blame James for the extension, but I don't blame him for signing Rick. I honestly, truly thought that Rick would be all **** and vinegar after getting fired by UGA and this would be his revenge tour on the SEC. I think most fans did. But he fooled me. He built a mostly terrible staff and the team looks unprepared every week. Shame on me for ignoring 15 years of evidence.

I blame James for the extension, but I don't blame him for signing Rick. I honestly, truly thought that Rick would be all **** and vinegar after getting fired by UGA and this would be his revenge tour on the SEC. I think most fans did. But he fooled me. He built a mostly terrible staff and the team looks unprepared every week. Shame on me for ignoring 15 years of evidence.
Trust me I thought the same. I kind of had a bad feeling once this fool started hiring people he knew and hiring his son. A good coach is not afraid of firing his staff.

The University of Washington doesn't have a water slide in their football facilities but they are going to be in the playoff picture every year with Peterson. Peterson's salary is nearly identical to Rick's at 4.1 million. Orgeron at #4 LSU makes 500k less than Rick. So the "we will never win because we won't pay coaches enough " refrain is just rationalizing to cover up the fact that we made a big mistake when choosing a HC.

James has only been AD since 2013. So he is only responsible for Rick. Golden, Shannon, and Coker were hired by other ADs. So he's not really the common denominator with our bad hires.

Advertisement
Trust me I thought the same. I kind of had a bad feeling once this fool started hiring people he knew and hiring his son. A good coach is not afraid of firing his staff.

A good leader isnt afraid of confrontation! The staff hires have been lazy and uninspiring. QB recruiting has been lazy as well. This isnt how MIAMI has ever operated.

For those who didnt have a chance to witness the good ole days I ask you to head to youtube and watch full games of the old canes and enjoy the dominance from start to finish. It wasnt just that we won games. WE DOMINATED in every aspect and left no doubt who the better team was. As much as BAMA wants to gloat about their run, they havent had a team yet as dominate as the 00 canes! We ran when we wanted, we passed when we wanted and we scored fast and often. And watching Vilma and DJ Williams roam the field and hit everything was a thing of beauty. And then there was ST26.... those were the days mane!!!

In life there is no free lunch some how somewhere it’s paid for.

Lately if been feeling we’ve been paying our dues for all those NC’s I witnessed.

Boy those don’t come cheap!!!

Very upsetting, I don’t know what to post here anymore on this situation, I said alll I could say with my experience on the field and off.

My fellow Canes GOCANES05 is is is speechless.

Have to regroup myself, I’ll probably post short replies for awhile.

Anyway, ?????

GOCANES

James has only been AD since 2013. So he is only responsible for Rick. Golden, Shannon, and Coker were hired by other ADs. So he's not really the common denominator with our bad hires.
AD James best hire so far has been Coach L hands down, beyond that Coach Morris got that five year extension to pad his
retirement good for him, Then the rug got pulled out from under Butch D. and now stuck with Mork Rich til we
pad his retirement. Grave yard for washed out coaches.

Advertisement
It’s sad, but college football is way different then the glory days. Our admin has not made the change with times.

It’s about money . We have to pay the best staff and we have to pay for recruits there is no way around it. You have to keep the best players home.

So long ago now seems like a dream. Biggest mistake we made was joining the ACC. That was the biggest blow to our program. Thankfully us Geezers have that past to hold onto, they were glorious years, and it saddens me you young Canes will never witness anything like it. We had it good man, we had it good. RIP CANES

James identified Richt and Schiano as his two top targets. Amazing. Objectively there are reasons to think that Richt was a good hire but the main concern was drive, ambition and what type of head coach he wanted to be. Hiring his son, no bueno, that **** went south at FSU but Richt was already at Georgia. Calling his own plays? No bueno, Georgia fans main complaint was that other aspects of the game got missed and offense fell off a cliff. Well, what do you know, our offense is atrocious and special teams is literally the worst in P5.

Blake James has to take the fall for this. It’s his guy, his hire and Ok’d Everything Richt has done.

I was on that train also and still held out hope he could turn it around. Hey I bleed orange and green and hate to see them lose period and would love to see coach do da dam thing. When i saw the stories on how he still hasn't learned his lesson from uga and still recruiting o- line that is just average reality hit bout Mark. This **** might really set us back 3-5 years and that's crazy just think, we thought we were headed in da right direction @the beginning of the year. I hope we are all wrong and Lane becomes OC ,alot of the JR's returns next year and Richt becomes the best CEO to bring us a chip ride off and Lane matures to lead us.🙏🏾(I can dream😴)😁🙌🏾📙📗

Advertisement
Back