For the “we don’t play anybody” crowd

When he was first hired, Al Golden said he noticed how Miami hadn't had a long term coach over 6 years in decades. He probably thought he was going to pull off a championship if we could just get over the hump. Thats likely why he wanted to delay. He refused to realize it Donofrio that was the primary anchor on his ***.

Andy Gustafson, who left after 1966, is the last Miami coach to last longer than 6 years. Really amazing.

Advertisement
It could be worse. You should see the University of Texas's out of conference schedule since 2000:

2000: Louisiana Lafayette, Stanford, Houston
2001: N Mexico State, UNC, Houston
2002: North Texas, UNC, Houston, Tulane
2003: N Mexico State, Arkansas, Rice, Tulane
2004: North Texas, Arkansas, Rice
2005: Louisiana Lafayette, Ohio State, Rice
2006: North Texas, Ohio State, Rice, Sam Houston State
2007: Arkansas State, TCU, UCF, Rice
2008: FAU, Texas El Paso, Rice, Arkansas
2009: Louisiana-Monroe, Wyoming, Texas El Paso, UCF
2010: Rice, Wyoming, UCLA, FAU
2011: Rice, BYU, UCLA
2012: Wyoming, New Mexico, Mississippi
2013: New Mexico State, BYU, Mississippi
2014: North Texas, BYU, UCLA
2015: Notre Dame, Rice, California
2016: Notre Dame, Texas El-Paso, California
2017: Maryland, San Jose State, USC
2018: Marlyand, Tulsa, USC
2019: Louisiana Tech, LSU, Rice

Only twice between 2000 and 2014 did Texas schedule a top-tier out of conference opponent.

Georgia’s over the last several years is far worse.

Your posts are bafflingly stupid in their absence of logic.

He did not say "GaTech's offense beat us". He basically said that even with GaTech's terrible offense, Miami still could not win the game.

Don't you understand that, at least on some level?

You just pick fights with people over the dumbest and thinnest verbal disputes.

Any poster: "I can't believe that Miami couldn't beat GaTech even with its antiquated and terrible offense."

GoCanes!!: "Oh, you are an idiot poster, Miami shut down GaTech's offense in the second half."

Everyone else: "What just happened here?"

He isn't going to like this at all.

😬

I don't blame the coaches, simply because I haven't seen us move too many games back, as Golden wanted to do.

The reason I brought up Paul Dee (vs. Hocvnt, Shermanator, and Blake) is because Dee had the juice to get games scheduled (and keep in mind, I can't stand Dee as an individual). But the last 3 ADs have not been aggressive and/or persistent, and have continued to fill our schedule with Florida directional schools and Division I-AA or Division II opponents.

Earlier, I cited Clemson's scheduling over the past 15 years, it has been incredibly strong. Keep in mind, the Clemson AD (Radakovich) started in 2012...but Blake started in 2013...so let's not allow Blake's inexperience to serve as an excuse.

By the way, Radakovich...is a UM alum (MBA)...and used to work for UM...

Not sure why we didn't try to hire him instead of Hocvnt or the Shermanator.

Al Golden outright admitted in his lawsuit that he demanded weaker OOC scheduling. Schedules are made years in advance, so his demands are part of the reason why we still have weak OOC schedules now.

Plus, once the OOC schedules are watered down, Golden's successors want to keep it that way.

I'm too lazy to find the link, but there was a study from Freakonomics that found that records matter in a CFB coach keeping his job but strength of schedule doesn't. Coaches want weak OOC schedules because it helps them keep their jobs.

Advertisement
Al Golden outright admitted in his lawsuit that he demanded weaker OOC scheduling. Schedules are made years in advance, so his demands are part of the reason why we still have weak OOC schedules now.

Plus, once the OOC schedules are watered down, Golden's successors want to keep it that way.

I'm too lazy to find the link, but there was a study from Freakonomics that found that records matter in a CFB coach keeping his job but strength of schedule doesn't. Coaches realize that weak OOC schedules help them keep their jobs.

Again, I'm not disagreeing with the premise, I'm just saying that Miami hasn't exactly had a lot of "long-tenured coaches" (particularly recently), and I haven't seen any COACH push back previously-scheduled games.

Now, was Golden constantly whining to the AD about playing Bethune-Cookman more frequently? I guess it's possible. I just think that we've seen 3 ADs in a row...NOT doing a very good job of scheduling. And I don't think Randy or Richt would have lobbied for creampuff schedules. Just my impression.

I'm too lazy to find the link, but there was a study from Freakonomics that found that records matter in a CFB coach keeping his job but strength of schedule doesn't. Coaches want weak OOC schedules because it helps them keep their jobs.

Exactly, look at the year we went 9-4 under Golden. the teams we beat had a collective record under .500 and we lost to the only decent teams on our schedule. Thats how they sell that theyre "trending up", and thats how they get their premature raises and extensions

Again, I'm not disagreeing with the premise, I'm just saying that Miami hasn't exactly had a lot of "long-tenured coaches" (particularly recently), and I haven't seen any COACH push back previously-scheduled games.

Now, was Golden constantly whining to the AD about playing Bethune-Cookman more frequently? I guess it's possible. I just think that we've seen 3 ADs in a row...NOT doing a very good job of scheduling. And I don't think Randy or Richt would have lobbied for creampuff schedules. Just my impression.

Randy said nothing about OOC schedules. Or if he did, apparently Dee didn't listen.

Richt's schedules were probably basically made when Golden was coach. While I don't think Richt was asking for easy OOC schedules, I think he was happy with the easy OOC schedules that had been created for him, and certainly didn't ask the AD to toughen it up at all.

Manny might be unhappy with the 2021 OOC schedule. Unfortunately for him, it's a bit late to change it.

James has the same mindset as the coaches he hires, he wants to give the impression of a winning program by inflating wins against bad teams. but our coaches arent here long enough to actually play the teams that get scheduled during their tenure so it doesnt really matter what the coahces think. we scheduled home and homes with FAU, App state and Arky State, that should tell you all about the bargaining power we have and the money we aren't willing to spend

Advertisement
Randy said nothing about OOC schedules. Or if he did, apparently Dee didn't listen.

Richt's schedules were probably basically made when Golden was coach. While I don't think Richt was asking for easy OOC schedules, I think he was happy with the easy OOC schedules that had been created for him, and certainly didn't ask the AD to toughen it up at all.

Manny might be unhappy with the 2021 OOC schedule. Unfortunately for him, it's a bit late to change it.

Yep, for all those that want a tougher schedule, we're about to see it starting next year...and the likelihood is that we will be thoroughly embarrassed by Bama and TAMU

who the **** cares? if we win out w our "poor" schedule once, wed end up in a playoff. we havent. just beat who you play and you likely wont be left out

Advertisement
who the **** cares? if we win out w our "poor" schedule once, wed end up in a playoff. we havent. just beat who you play and you likely wont be left out

It could prevent us from making the playoffs at 12-1.

Not that it seems very likely we'll go 12-1 any time soon.

"I see no point in hashing out the past". That's the attitude that allows Blake to sit back and do nothing.

As for comparing ourselves to others, in order to rationalize our weakness, that is a joke.

And your reliance on the MYTH of "Clemson playing only 1 P5 non-conference game", yeah, that is a lie. First of all, they play South Carolina every year, so that's already ONE, and then they schedule a SECOND game. In addition to playing South Carolina every year, Clemson has played:

2019 - Texas A&M
2018 - Texas A&M
2017 - Auburn
2016 - Auburn
2015 - Notre Dame
2014 - Georgia
2013 - Georgia
2012 - Auburn
2011 - Auburn
2010 - Auburn
2009 - TCU
2008 - Alabama
2007 - nobody (besides SC)
2006 - nobody (besides SC)
2005 - Texas A&M

So, uh, YEAH, Clemson, the team who "only plays 1 P5 OOC every year" has actually played 28 P5 OOC games in the past 15 years (compared to Miami's 20) and they've won 2 national championships and played for 2 others.

And even if you took away South Carolina, the rest of that list destroys Miami's P5 OOC schedule. Oh, but we played K-State.

The bottom line is simple, we have too many fans who rely on myths and lies to defend Miami's scheduling and to act like "we are just doing what everyone else is doing".

Stop it. It's a bad look. Clemson's OOC scheduling craps all over Miami's. As just ONE example of a "myth vs. reality" situation.
Ok. I stand corrected. Big deal.

Advertisement
Lol... did u really go into the last 15 seasons to prove your point? Now go ahead and look into the last 5. You might not like that...
I simply reposted a tweet buddy . You might not like this, but I didn’t “go into” anything

Last edited:
I simply reposted a tweet buddy . You might like this, but I didn’t “go into” anything

But you addressed your "repost" to the "we don't play anybody crowd" and then you said this "Just gonna sit this here if yal don’t mind" as if you had made some sort of thread-ending argument.

So let's not act as if it was some invitation to politely debate our OOC scheduling, as you and multiple other people have strongly argued that your "repost" is strong evidence that Miami plays a tough OOC schedule.

Advertisement
Back