? For LuCane

Canespady

Recruit
Say we pull in the guys we have in our radar(Thomas,Williams,Bryant,Bostwick,etc). How do you feel this defense will produce next year?

I know some are split on Coach/Corch D, but we had a really solid defense in his first year. Then his second year was a disaster. How much of this do you contribute to having veteran player adjusted to college football vs Freshmen still growing into their bodies?

Or is it Coach/Corch D scheme? What changed in from the 1st year to 2nd year?

Thank You.

Advertisement
Say we pull in the guys we have in our radar(Thomas,Williams,Bryant,Bostwick,etc). How do you feel this defense will produce next year?

I know some are split on Coach/Corch D, but we had a really solid defense in his first year. Then his second year was a disaster. How much of this do you contribute to having veteran player adjusted to college football vs Freshmen still growing into their bodies?

Thank You.

his scheme wouldnt be an issue if we had junior and seniors at almost every position with 245 pound linebackers and 280 pound DE's. A 315 pound athletic nose tackle and pure cover corners. We are getting there... just taking time.

Advertisement
As far as the OP goes, I feel like he kept things simple this season and didn't do anything too complex because of the number of freshmen we were playing.

With another year of our players in the system, I feel like he'll be more comfortable to do complex things and give the players more responsibly.

Thank You.

his scheme wouldnt be an issue if we had junior and seniors at almost every position with 245 pound linebackers and 280 pound DE's. A 315 pound athletic nose tackle and pure cover corners.

Or an 18 wheeler at DT. Industrial sized bulldozers at DE. Cyborg robots at LB. Pterodactyls at Safety. Werewolves at CB.

Coach D and his secondary was awful his first year.

I think our D would have been a lot better and we would have won at least 9 games if Vernon Oliver & Marcus Forston had played their senior year. We just had no pass rush with out Oliver. On top of that Tommy Streeter had stayed for his senior year we would have moved the sticks more and scored more points keeping the D off the field. Even if Porter hadn't missed 3/4th of the season with appendicitis we would have been a lot better. I know it is excuses but we did have a lot of players hurt like Denzel Perryman and a few others forced us to keep patching holes on D all year throwing more freshmen on the field.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Not Lu, but if our defense can be respectable in the top 60 range we should get 10 wins with how good our offense should be. There won't be some top 30 jump, IMO. The defense is still young. We are going to go from garbage defensively this past season, to solid this upcoming season, to very good in 2014.

Why do people keep forgetting Forston played on skates his last season here. He was atrocious.

Whatever I tell you now is a lot more speculative than it's gonna be after spring/summer.

The reason is that here's what we need:

(1) Curtis Porter. Needs to actually be on the team.
(2) How much weight/strength does Tyriq Mccord gain?
(3) Does Eddie Johnson stay on the team?
(4) Does Kirby make a Pierre-like jump as a Sophomore MLB?
(5) Which young DB makes the jump? Bush, Jenkins, Howard or Crawford? If multiple players make a jump, things change quickly.
(6) Will there be an impact freshman that, maybe like AQM or Thomas, can be situational players? AQM could be a situational pass-rusher and Matthew Thomas could be a Nickel Backer who rushes or covers.
(7) The scary one is the uncontrollable one: how do injuries affect next year's defense?

What happens with all of those variables?

Assuming, pessimistically, that less than half of them work out well, I think we can still be a Top 50 defense. I know that's not amazing, but it's a big jump from what we saw last year. I don't think it matters as much what kind of defense we are statistically, but it matters what kind of defense we are in getting opponents off the field on 3rd down + what kind of scoring defense we are.

Here's why I think the jump will happen:

(1) The rotation will tighten up a lot. I think we saw a lot more guys playing when they shouldn't have been playing because the downside was limited and we needed to get guys on film.

(2) Instead of having DTs on sleds going backward, we'll have [hopefully] a 5th year senior in Porter and a 3rd year player in Pierre. I've written other posts about the big jump that usually happens with linemen in their 3rd years. They'll be backed up by a 4th year player and, instead of a bunch of True Freshmen, at least 2 guys who are in their 2nd year in College. Big deal there.

(3) I can't even guess what they're going to do with our LBs in pass coverage. They simply need to get better. They can't really be much worse. On talent alone, two of our better LBs could be two freshmen (Grace and Thomas).

(4) Our defensive backfield should be about a 7 on a scale of 10, up from a 4. We finally have Safeties with range. Even without range, they have enough athleticism to make up their bad angles.

Schematically

I don't think you'll see a lot of changes. What you will see, hopefully, is D'Onofrio trust his DBs more to mix in more man. I think you'll see *slightly* more blitzing. But, I don't expect the defensive sets to dramatically change from this year to next. We'll see.

Advertisement

Thank You.

his scheme wouldnt be an issue if we had junior and seniors at almost every position with 245 pound linebackers and 280 pound DE's. A 315 pound athletic nose tackle and pure cover corners. We are getting there... just taking time.

There would not be any D1 programs with a defensive problem with all of that.

Advertisement
Back