Football School: What’s the difference between Sam, Striker and Nickel?

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator

The strong-side linebacker position has been the source of endless debate on the CanesInSight forums. “Why is Zach McCloud lined up over a WR?” “What's a striker?” Coach Mike Zuckerman, a 10-year coaching vet who was at Miami when they began employing the “striker,” takes us to Football School to explain what these terms really mean.

On the strong side vs. the weak side: “There's either a tight end strength or a passing strength. When coaches talk about a ‘tight end...

Continue reading...

Advertisement
Season 6 Episode 3 GIF by Parks and Recreation

Sweating Heat Wave GIF

photograph GIF

I remember there was someone here who was really ****ed off about Manny incorporating a “striker” position and he blamed pretty much the entire failure of the team on that decision. His suggestion was to use a “star” instead.

Great moments in CIS history.

Advertisement
I remember there was someone here who was really ****ed off about Manny incorporating a “striker” position and he blamed pretty much the entire failure of the team on that decision. His suggestion was to use a “star” instead.

Great moments in CIS history.
Came here to make this point, the striker position has multiple names…Star / rover / box safety. Manny was actually ahead of the curve with that striker position.

For others who don’t know and don’t want to watch the full video. I was taught as a player and coach it to be the following in terms of personnel / body type your after. We implemented the Star during my second year of college.

SAM = traditional down hill LB - running situations set to the run strength.

Nickel = extra CB, guy who can cover in a small space against a slot receiver. Quick and physical. Passing situations. Set to the passing strength

Striker = hybrid, can go down hill and make a tackle and cover the slot / TE. Can set the front to the run strength or passing strength.

Btw, just listened to the Pod version, great stuff! Loving this series.

Would love to see an episode on blocking schemes.

Last edited:
Everybody has a different name for that position. Star, Striker, Nickel, Bandit, etc.
In today's football world, that guy has to be your best overall football player IMO, for multiple reasons.

1. He's almost always to the wide side of the field, so he has to be athletic in space. Has to be able to cover and tackle slot WR's and TE's.

2. Has to be smart. There's a lot of different elements/sets that he'll be presented with. Three WR sets. Two WR sets. Tight Ends. Wide spacing. Tight spacing. Motion. He has to know how to line-up versus all of that crap, in various coverages. On top of that, there's so many different route combos that he has to recognize.

3. He has to be strong enough to play at the point-of-attack. Not only will he be asked to defeat blocks on screens, but he may be asked to add-on to the LOS versus TE/condensed offensive sets. This is why you can't always use a traditional Nickel.

4. Depending on the coverage and front, he may be asked to show-up in the run fit. And it'll likely be from depth, so he's gotta be ready to run downhill and strike.

5. He may be asked to blitz. I send my Nickel/Star at least 5 times per game, maybe more depending on opponent. The element of surprise leads to a lot of sacks or TFL's. He can't be scared to come hard. (pause)

Ideally you'd like somebody in that spot who is a hybrid Linebacker/Safety type. Around 6'1"-6'3" and 210lbs-225lbs.
And then if the offense is in sure passing situations then you can slide him inside and put a true Nickel DB on the field.

Advertisement
I appreciate the nuance that Zuck provided regarding the difference between a “true” 4-2-5 and a 4-3 nickel. I didn’t know there was that much of a difference in responsibilities between a third safety and a nickel SAM.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Love this! For the perpetually ignorant of things FB, this is great! Hope there’s more stuff like this. I can then spar here with the FB Gods and come out on top…

Advertisement
Back