Football over let move on

canesfan4508

Recruit
Thank god football is over and maybe we can focus on the diamond.

I know most of the forecast on here is dark but anything other than that football team is gonna be a breath of fresh air

Advertisement

I know most of the forecast on here is dark but anything other than that football team is gonna be a breath of fresh air
I suggest you focus on the basketball team. The J.D. hire is the same as the Corchabal hire.

I suggest you focus on the basketball team. The J.D. hire is the same as the Corchabal hire.
While I agree, I am willing to give him a chance. But, how many times have we said that the last two decades wrt Canes athletics. So, I hear ya.

If they would just listen to some of us, we could dominate baseball and roundball. That's 8 months out of the year we'd be happy Canes fans. Wouldn't we rather be a big fish in a small pond, than an irrelevant fish in a gargantuan pond?

While I agree, I am willing to give him a chance. But, how many times have we said that the last two decades wrt Canes athletics. So, I hear ya.

If they would just listen to some of us, we could dominate baseball and roundball. That's 8 months out of the year we'd be happy Canes fans. Wouldn't we rather be a big fish in a small pond, than an irrelevant fish in a gargantuan pond?
He hasn’t done anything that’s actively annoyed me since he got the job, so there’s that. I guess we’ll find out soon enough.

Advertisement
He hasn’t done anything that’s actively annoyed me since he got the job, so there’s that. I guess we’ll find out soon enough.
Ha - we've resorted to backhanded compliments. But as a former boss I respected once said, .. "Just ***** up less than your competition, and you'll do well". So, you may be on to something.

Ha - we've resorted to backhanded compliments. But as a former boss I respected once said, .. "Just ***** up less than your competition, and you'll do well". So, you may be on to something.
Baby steps

He’s surrounded himself with some knowledgeable guys.

Talent wise we are not top 20. But maybe we get a chip on our shoulder and play hard nose scrappy ball. Not relying on 3 run homeruns, clean Defense, pitching to a bit more contact. Play to our talents strengths.

Advertisement

Likening to UM baseball to a "breath of fresh air" is likening my experience at the hospital where I
"coded" for 39 minutes as a Cardio exercise.

He’s surrounded himself with some knowledgeable guys.

Talent wise we are not top 20. But maybe we get a chip on our shoulder and play hard nose scrappy ball. Not relying on 3 run homeruns, clean Defense, pitching to a bit more contact. Play to our talents strengths.
Your optimism is noted and respected, and I've been wanting us to play like that for years...you combine that with talent you're tough to beat. While we've shown flashes of that mentality some seasons...we just aren't that kind of team/program anymore. We're going to be a team who thinks we're talented because we are wearing The U and Miami on our shirts, but we won't outwork anyone and do the small things right like less talented teams that have success do.

Your optimism is noted and respected, and I've been wanting us to play like that for years...you combine that with talent you're tough to beat. While we've shown flashes of that mentality some seasons...we just aren't that kind of team/program anymore. We're going to be a team who thinks we're talented because we are wearing The U and Miami on our shirts, but we won't outwork anyone and do the small things right like less talented teams that have success do.
Sadly this was going through my head as I typed this. I also think the majority of our Fla recruits specifically are almost maxed out talent wise. So it’s even more important we make them better baseball players…weight room, IQ, etc. so we squeeze every last bit out of them.

Hopefully they prove us wrong.

Sadly this was going through my head as I typed this. I also think the majority of our Fla recruits specifically are almost maxed out talent wise. So it’s even more important we make them better baseball players…weight room, IQ, etc. so we squeeze every last bit out of them.

Hopefully they prove us wrong.
curious as to why you single out Florida recruits as maxed out compared to the rest of the country? genuinely asking?

Advertisement
curious as to why you single out Florida recruits as maxed out compared to the rest of the country? genuinely asking?
Well i was focusing more on our recruits. But to some degree it’s everywhere. But it seems like Miami goes after Florida kids who are Training 12 months a year from a Young age that show well at Pg events and physically look much more advanced from a young age. Then you put them on a field once they get to college and they don’t seem to have any concept of how to play the game. Then 2 years later they aren’t much better and/or they regress.

So they tend to shine at a young age compared to other areas.

But I will say each year I get a little further away from knowing certain kids since I havent coached college in 5 years now. But we have some 2024’s that are not in that mold. They are big framed but still a lot of room to grow. Some potential for good weight…and I’m from the school that if you struggle to change a kids swing or mechanics adding 10-15lbs of muscle can clean things up without them even realizing it as the body becomes more efficient.

We also have some kids coming in from the Northeast this year and next that can play. I just hope they don’t try to turn everyone into a 3 run homerun in waiting. Let’s have a few kids who maybe only hit 3-4 home runs but are a nightmare to get out and always on base. What I would do to have an Enrique Bradfield leading off for us.

I am going to be optimistic based on the staff and the player types we brought in….until given a reason not it be. But the ACC as a whole is tough. So we need some young guys to grow up quick this year or we are a 30-20 type team potentially.

i think if you a D1 power 5 program your gonna have alot of kids that show out at PG showcases.... that's where all the HS talent is. I know our staff gets alot of crap on this board for "lazy" recruiting but i cannot imagine other programs fishing for players in any different pool. PG has dominated the prep landscape for decades. I just dont know where else you would want these guys to hunt for talent.

i think if you a D1 power 5 program your gonna have alot of kids that show out at PG showcases.... that's where all the HS talent is. I know our staff gets alot of crap on this board for "lazy" recruiting but i cannot imagine other programs fishing for players in any different pool. PG has dominated the prep landscape for decades. I just dont know where else you would want these guys to hunt for talent.
Absolutely but our issue is the south Florida PG showcases was our only former of recruiting until recently where we have started to poach the north east. The South Florida PG showcases are littered with talent but it seems for every 1 Yoyo morales you get about 20 Raymond Gil’s and it has shown its ugly head for last 15 years mixed with our horrific development

Last edited:
Advertisement

It's not that we need to look at a different pool of players, it's that we need to identify baseball players and not just take South Florida Perfect Game heroes. There tends to be a swag showcase mindset in South Florida. Drop bombs, throw hard. But as we see in our games, the baseball knowledge is severely lacking, and the game is a lot tougher when the other guy is trying to beat you and isn't just tossing BP to you at a showcase.

This is what got us in trouble in the 2000's when the downfall began. If you played for the Florida Bombers, you had UM's attention.

Wake Forest's leading hitter was the 20th best player in.....Maryland.....according to Perfect Game. But they saw something in him. Some kind of athleticism or competitiveness or something. But it sure wasn't because of his measurables at showcases.

Advertisement
Back