Football facility is official

Advertisement
Phenomenal facility that should really blow away recruits and families on visits ... and more importantly with the medical eval facilities + food and nutrition ... really provide some amazing services for the players. Tremendous addition to UM. Kudos to the administration for stepping up to the plate.

Advertisement
Reality is that most fan bases are very heavily weighted to non-alums. Look at ND, Bama. Especially true in the case of a small private university. It you were relying on alums to fill the stadium there wouldn't be 25,000 at Hard Rock.
Bama is way different, they have over 200,000 living alumni. Any large state school can fill a stadium with alumni easily.

$100m is insane. 5 years ago, we were so broke that Mark Richt had to donate 1 million of his own money to get the IPF. This program will be completely different if, god forbid, Ruiz stops bankrolling everything.

This is a broader point than should be addressed on this thread (which is great news, the facility looks amazing), but I do wonder about it. My sense of things was this: while Ruiz has for whatever reason made himself the very public face/funder/lightening rod for Miami's new NIL regime and increased financial commitment to the football program, the program's more traditional and less public donors have also stepped up considerably. Those other donors, combined with UM Health's infusion of revenue, represent the lion's share of the money for all of this expansion. Thus, Ruiz is very visible and certainly important, but he's not the end all be all of this new regime.

Maybe someone with knowledge behind the scenes can say whether this is a correct impression or whether Ruiz really is the key to the whole thing. If I was UM I'd certainly want to have a very diversified funding base. We saw how well having a single (albeit billionaire) benefactor worked out for FSU when that guy passed away.

Advertisement
Reality is that most fan bases are very heavily weighted to non-alums. Look at ND, Bama. Especially true in the case of a small private university. It you were relying on alums to fill the stadium there wouldn't be 25,000 at Hard Rock.
Dude, most are not season ticket holders or even have stepped into that stadium. Or if they have only occasionally. They contribute nothing for the betterment of the university, but they do constantly rip it every chance they get.

This is an exciting day for the University of Miami and the athletic department, but they are too busy throwing shade.

Advertisement
Advertisement
100 million dollar facility.

Most expensive in the state by far and one of the most expensive in the country but I'm sure the peanut gallery will be out in full force about something without the common sense of realizing that cost of construction in coral gables is 3x what it costs in random college town X.

Advertisement
Back