Football facility is official

Advertisement
"But the indoor field is only 80 yards" - some fan base somewhere
76B6C898-AA08-40F5-AF27-BF062F17B701.jpeg

Advertisement
$100m is insane. 5 years ago, we were so broke that Mark Richt had to donate 1 million of his own money to get the IPF. This program will be completely different if, god forbid, Ruiz stops bankrolling everything.

It's not just Ruiz.

Was told by the guy who should know, Miami already has several "among the largest single gifts ever" lined up. Sofer-sized.

1672855687625.png

Last edited:
Isnt it going to be great when LSU beats them game 1 and the NC talk is put to rest before conference play even starts.
He’s not the only one. I saw it a few minutes after the initial post and opposing fans basically flocked to the post screaming about 80 yards and no stadium.

Reality is that most fan bases are very heavily weighted to non-alums. Look at ND, Bama. Especially true in the case of a small private university. It you were relying on alums to fill the stadium there wouldn't be 25,000 at Hard Rock.

I have no problems with alum fans, and I have no problems with non-alum fans (Paul DiMare). All are welcome.

The only real difference is that if the football team goes 0-12 for the next 10 years in a row, I'm still a UM alum and I'm still stuck rooting for my alma mater. The non-alum fans can stop writing checks and walk away.

Other than that, we all love our Hurricanes.

Advertisement
This is a broader point than should be addressed on this thread (which is great news, the facility looks amazing), but I do wonder about it. My sense of things was this: while Ruiz has for whatever reason made himself the very public face/funder/lightening rod for Miami's new NIL regime and increased financial commitment to the football program, the program's more traditional and less public donors have also stepped up considerably. Those other donors, combined with UM Health's infusion of revenue, represent the lion's share of the money for all of this expansion. Thus, Ruiz is very visible and certainly important, but he's not the end all be all of this new regime.

Maybe someone with knowledge behind the scenes can say whether this is a correct impression or whether Ruiz really is the key to the whole thing. If I was UM I'd certainly want to have a very diversified funding base. We saw how well having a single (albeit billionaire) benefactor worked out for FSU when that guy passed away.

I addressed this in another one of my responses.

Ruiz is a great instigator and thought-leader, but he is BY NO MEANS the sole $$$ contributor.

"Not for long" - some fans who have seen the entire plan
I figured this was part of the plan. It looks awesome. Great selling point and another thing checked off that ignorant fan bases cant use. Especially since that price tag likely puts us in the top tier of facilities....on top of recruiting and coaching staff.

The last piece which may or may not happen is the stadium. But since we dont have the huge local fan bases that will always be a knock for some schools. But our great teams never played in front of huge crowds when Rutgers and Temple rolled into town. Win games, develop NFL talent, and the rest will sort itself out.

Advertisement
If you haven't watched the interview with Radakovich, I highly recommend listening. I don't think we realize how lucky we are to have this guy. Also, do we know when construction will begin?

If you haven't watched the interview with Radakovich, I highly recommend listening. I don't think we realize how lucky we are to have this guy. Also, do we know when construction will begin?

Soon.

It's a parking lot. I was just there 8 weeks ago, and they are already...doing things...which will be the first things they have to do...

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back