Football Banquet

View as article

SpikeUM

Head Meshuggah
Premium
Was really good. Some random info:

Ir really does appear that Golden has a great relationship with the players. He had all seniors named as MVP's, and spoke about each one individually. He paid a lot of attention to some players who are not "stars", but who competed and helped the team out in any way they could.

Said that Streeter and Forston had thrown him a curve ball recently and they had not had time to honor them. Did not make that comment about any other player (Lamar, RR, etc).

He literally thanked everyone on the staff, including non sports personnel, with a special shout out to Swasey. I know a few of you will go insane at that.

He appeared to take a dig at Kehoe, but it could have been a rib.

Over 20 of the players were singled out for volunteering in the community and mentoring at risk kids.

Don Bailey was tolerable for a change.

Said that Blake Ayles, Tyler Horn and Spencer Whipple had futures in coaching.

Golden gave a special shout out to D$ and Lu for hosting the best Canes site!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
JoJo was also singled out for what he had to overcome this year, and for becoming a leader.

Andrew Smith was ribbed for never smiling, and even then he didnt smile.

John Calhoun is known as "Juice", because he is always asking in the huddle who has the juice.

Golden said Ayles could have been a big contributor if he had stated healthy.

Lee Chambers did not attend.

Was nice to meet some of the parents and players.

Golden kidded Figueroa as being as old as his wife, but complimented him on the extensive community service he does.

Sorry for the piecemeal, its tough on the memory when you get older.

It seems like Golden is the type of manager you don't want to let down and not the fear me type. Thats a good thing.

Advertisement
What was the dig/rib on Kehoe?

Golden introduced his secretary, who has been the head coaches' assistant for decades, and told her something like "you need to remind Art that you also have 5 MNC's". The tone of voice made it sound to me and others at the table like a dig.

Thanks so much for posting this info man! It is much appreciated! Love hearing about the program from the inside, when Golden has the opportunity to speak candidly and openly.

+ rep with the quickness

Advertisement
It seems like Golden is the type of manager you don't want to let down and not the fear me type. Thats a good thing.

That is impossible to answer unless you actually play for him, but as a spectator, I would say its BOTH. You WANT to play well for him because you dont want to let him down, but there is also a little fear thrown in there.

BTW, forgot to mention that there were roughly 400 in attendance....not too shabby.

Was really good. Some random info:

Ir really does appear that Golden has a great relationship with the players. He had all seniors named as MVP's, and spoke about each one individually. He paid a lot of attention to some players who are not "stars", but who competed and helped the team out in any way they could.

Said that Streeter and Forston had thrown him a curve ball recently and they had not had time to honor them. Did not make that comment about any other player (Lamar, RR, etc).

He literally thanked everyone on the staff, including non sports personnel, with a special shout out to Swasey. I know a few of you will go insane at that.

He appeared to take a dig at Kehoe, but it could have been a rib.

Over 20 of the players were singled out for volunteering in the community and mentoring at risk kids.

Don Bailey was tolerable for a change.

Said that Blake Ayles, Tyler Horn and Spencer Whipple had futures in coaching.

Golden gave a special shout out to D$ and Lu for hosting the best Canes site!

Also the special shout out to the MODS for keeping the football boards clean! :)

Advertisement
Back