Follow Up Note On TJ Jones

First, slow your roll with the stupid talk. Even the intellectual elite like yourself must know there are differences of opinion within one "fan based." Further, there is a difference between blasting an AD whose definition of a "nationwide" search lasts all of 10 hours before stroking a check for a $4mm buyout for a guy that was on the payroll about 2-3 weeks prior, and blasting a HC for failing to make an OC hire before the end of the dead period when there are all of 4 recruits on that side of the ball.

Second, take your cape off, open up your eyes, and understand the clown show aspects. Do you think Manny doesn't know who he'd prefer yet, and that's why there's this delay? You think he and the other coaches and Blake are making spreadsheets and comparing advanced metrics to determine which available coach is the best fit possible at UM? If you do, I have some beachfront property in Utah I think you may be interested in. The reality is Manny announced the morning of 1/2/2019 (a week ago) that he has his list of preferred candidates (3, with an "amazing" 4th). If he had his list of 3 (or 4) on 1/2/2019, why would it take more than a week to gauge interest, bring those guys in for an interview, and make a hire? In all likelihood, he's either waffling on the choice (clown show), getting rejected and looking at different options (clown show), fighting with the BOT/AD about the hire because there is internal disagreement about the choice (clown show), or there are salary issues/we're getting played for raises/jobs by the candidates because there names leaked too soon (clown show). Clown show, however you slice it.

Third, I would expect a scholar like you to recognize Manny Diaz, a brand new HC, is a former DC. He is known by recruits as a DC. His expertise is defense, and he has never been a HC. So while I have no doubt Manny has made calls on the offensive side of the ball because he is a passionate guy who wants to succeed, how meaningful do you believe those calls are to recruits on the offensive side of the football? Also, you may recall from your time as the wisest Hurricane's fan of all that Coach Diaz has never been considered a strong recruiter.

Fourth, while it's only been 11 days since Manny was hired as HC and he has made 1 hire (on the defensive side of the ball), he has had more time than that to consider his options. He was hired over two weeks prior to being hired here for the same position at Temple. Although I recognize the quality and type of candidate for a Temple OC and assistant coach hires is different than what I would expect at UM, one would think he'd already been looking around at who is available, who fits the style of offense he would ultimately like to pair with his defense, and what coaches on that side of the ball he would like to work with. So it isn't like he suddenly became a HC on 12/30 without strongly considering his hires. He has had considerably more time to think about these issues (which likely explain why he had a list of top 3/4 candidates within 3 days).
or why it can't be what he said on the radio show this morning and they crossing t's and dotting I's? Sounded like he had to respect when some ofthe staff could make it official but the Plan WAS for the staff to be in place by friday and it lookEd like thats was still going to be the outcome from what Manny said

Advertisement
First, slow your roll with the stupid talk. Even the intellectual elite like yourself must know there are differences of opinion within one "fan based." Further, there is a difference between blasting an AD whose definition of a "nationwide" search lasts all of 10 hours before stroking a check for a $4mm buyout for a guy that was on the payroll about 2-3 weeks prior, and blasting a HC for failing to make an OC hire before the end of the dead period when there are all of 4 recruits on that side of the ball.

Second, take your cape off, open up your eyes, and understand the clown show aspects. Do you think Manny doesn't know who he'd prefer yet, and that's why there's this delay? You think he and the other coaches and Blake are making spreadsheets and comparing advanced metrics to determine which available coach is the best fit possible at UM? If you do, I have some beachfront property in Utah I think you may be interested in. The reality is Manny announced the morning of 1/2/2019 (a week ago) that he has his list of preferred candidates (3, with an "amazing" 4th). If he had his list of 3 (or 4) on 1/2/2019, why would it take more than a week to gauge interest, bring those guys in for an interview, and make a hire? In all likelihood, he's either waffling on the choice (clown show), getting rejected and looking at different options (clown show), fighting with the BOT/AD about the hire because there is internal disagreement about the choice (clown show), or there are salary issues/we're getting played for raises/jobs by the candidates because there names leaked too soon (clown show). Clown show, however you slice it.

Third, I would expect a scholar like you to recognize Manny Diaz, a brand new HC, is a former DC. He is known by recruits as a DC. His expertise is defense, and he has never been a HC. So while I have no doubt Manny has made calls on the offensive side of the ball because he is a passionate guy who wants to succeed, how meaningful do you believe those calls are to recruits on the offensive side of the football? Also, you may recall from your time as the wisest Hurricane's fan of all that Coach Diaz has never been considered a strong recruiter.

Fourth, while it's only been 11 days since Manny was hired as HC and he has made 1 hire (on the defensive side of the ball), he has had more time than that to consider his options. He was hired over two weeks prior to being hired here for the same position at Temple. Although I recognize the quality and type of candidate for a Temple OC and assistant coach hires is different than what I would expect at UM, one would think he'd already been looking around at who is available, who fits the style of offense he would ultimately like to pair with his defense, and what coaches on that side of the ball he would like to work with. So it isn't like he suddenly became a HC on 12/30 without strongly considering his hires. He has had considerably more time to think about these issues (which likely explain why he had a list of top 3/4 candidates within 3 days).
Early candidate for '19 POY

Not to be a pain in the *** or anything but
Bolded 1. Technically incorrect.
Bolded 2. Incorrect (DC and S&C)

Not that it makes anything better or worse.

Not to be a pain in the *** or anything but
Bolded 1. Technically incorrect.
Bolded 2. Incorrect (DC and S&C)

Not that it makes anything better or worse.
You should fact check for the NY Times my friend.

Advertisement
Haha, well it is an early nominee for post of the year, so I want to prevent anything that could be considered fake news.

Haha, that's fair. I'm dead in the water on No. 1, but I will make the semantic argument on No. 2. Patke was a promotion/re-assignment, not a hire!

Haha, that's fair. I'm dead in the water on No. 1, but I will make the semantic argument on No. 2. Patke was a promotion/re-assignment, not a hire!

Fly, here is what I have for #2. Two hires since he has been here.

DC- Baker
SC - Feeley

All in good fun though will we pass the time waiting for the O staff.

Fly, here is what I have for #2. Two hires since he has been here.

DC- Baker
SC - Feeley

All in good fun though will we pass the time waiting for the O staff.

You, sir, are good. Although he's not considered one of the ten assistant coaches, I wasn't specific and I can't discount the significance of the SC coach hire.

I tip my hat to you!

Not sure what happened here - but it looks like he signed with Penn State. PSU got Dunmore and Jones out from under us - yuck

Advertisement
Advertisement
Won is a stretch. Dunmore is a big get. I'd call it a push.

Not even close.. the game is won in the trenches. Hunte and Blisset were huge pulls for Miami and they will set the foundation for how truly successful we are. Dunmore is good and a nice player but DT are a top 3 position of importance in the game.

Ill repeat. WRs are a dime a dozen here... We have a very healthy WR room currently that actually had a quality WR leave because the depth chart is so unfavorable. We will snag 2 or 3 good ones in the 20 class as KJ and JT are leaving
After this season, we are paper thin at WR. I'd rather not rely on 3 freshman needing to come in/produce. Athletic big men are out there & the two positions aren't mutually exclusive. Get on Dunmore earlier & we have both.

Advertisement
JT4 and Osborn leaving make us paper thin at WR?
Let me guess: You think Harley, Njoku are slam dunks. I'll wait and see. I am high on Hightower, optimistic about Pope/Wiggins. (Payton as well) That's not deep. Look at the injuries at TE this season. Paper thin.

Advertisement
Back