Follow Up Note On TJ Jones

Matthew_Suero

Junior
Premium
Prior to Mark Richt's retirement I reported that TJ Jones would be taking an official visit to Miami the weekend of January 18th. Due to the offensive staff being let go, this is no longer the case. Jones has not ruled out taking an official visit to Miami, but he does not have one set up right now. The only official visit that Jones plans to take at this moment is one to Penn State. The good news is that members of Miami's staff have reached out to Jones over the past week so the opportunity will be there for the new offensive staff to make a push.

Advertisement
Advertisement
A lot of wide receivers for this class and the next were turned off with the firing of Dugans. Who ever comes next has his work cut out

Would be nice if we could hire a WR coach & get around to it, you know if they're not too busy or anything...
It's getting to the point where it's slightly worrying nobody is in place - but on the same notion they can't speak to them until Friday anyway (legally) and nobody is going to commit at the weekend.

Advertisement
Not surprised but Doherty/Cooney need to be in Jones DM's and get him to come for an OV.

It's not so easy as show up for your first day in the office on Friday and start immediately reaching out to kids. There is a lot of prep work that goes into this.

Has the OC evaluated the kids down here? What about the position coaches? Are they simply going to rely on the prior staff's evaluations? Do the position coaches know what the offensive philosophy looks like and the types of players best suited to run it? Are there certain types of player profiles the OC likes? Have any two coaches on the offense ever sat down to actually discuss their evaluations of any of these recruits? Have they talked to the recruiting support staff about these recruits in any meaningful way? Is there a plan of prioritization and contact? Have they evaluated the current roster to determine areas of strength and weakness?

But then again, I am not certain the prior staff did much of the above, so how much worse can it get...

It's not so easy as show up for your first day in the office on Friday and start immediately reaching out to kids. There is a lot of prep work that goes into this.

Has the OC evaluated the kids down here? What about the position coaches? Are they simply going to rely on the prior staff's evaluations? Do the position coaches know what the offensive philosophy looks like and the types of players best suited to run it? Are there certain types of player profiles the OC likes? Have any two coaches on the offense ever sat down to actually discuss their evaluations of any of these recruits? Have they talked to the recruiting support staff about these recruits in any meaningful way? Is there a plan of prioritization and contact? Have they evaluated the current roster to determine areas of strength and weakness?

But then again, I am not certain the prior staff did much of the above, so how much worse can it get...
Diaz has reached out to kids on both sides. I just don’t get this stupid fan based. If it’s fast it’s lazy it is slow it’s a clown show. Stupid. It takes endless hours of research to try to find the right guy. You can’t ever take too long IMO. Tennessee took 2 months. We can’t afford that, but is a week really too much? Not at all. It’s a big decision for Diaz. He needs someone he can trust there.

Advertisement
A lot of wide receivers for this class and the next were turned off with the firing of Dugans. Who ever comes next has his work cut out
You mean the same WR coach who landed exactly 1 receiver this cycle and got played like a fiddle by Haselwood? The same WR coach that slow played Dunmore, even though we had his teammates committed? Quite the double standard you have thrown out there good sir.

Advertisement
Diaz has reached out to kids on both sides. I just don’t get this stupid fan based. If it’s fast it’s lazy it is slow it’s a clown show. Stupid. It takes endless hours of research to try to find the right guy. You can’t ever take too long IMO. Tennessee took 2 months. We can’t afford that, but is a week really too much? Not at all. It’s a big decision for Diaz. He needs someone he can trust there.

First, slow your roll with the stupid talk. Even the intellectual elite like yourself must know there are differences of opinion within one "fan based." Further, there is a difference between blasting an AD whose definition of a "nationwide" search lasts all of 10 hours before stroking a check for a $4mm buyout for a guy that was on the payroll about 2-3 weeks prior, and blasting a HC for failing to make an OC hire before the end of the dead period when there are all of 4 recruits on that side of the ball.

Second, take your cape off, open up your eyes, and understand the clown show aspects. Do you think Manny doesn't know who he'd prefer yet, and that's why there's this delay? You think he and the other coaches and Blake are making spreadsheets and comparing advanced metrics to determine which available coach is the best fit possible at UM? If you do, I have some beachfront property in Utah I think you may be interested in. The reality is Manny announced the morning of 1/2/2019 (a week ago) that he has his list of preferred candidates (3, with an "amazing" 4th). If he had his list of 3 (or 4) on 1/2/2019, why would it take more than a week to gauge interest, bring those guys in for an interview, and make a hire? In all likelihood, he's either waffling on the choice (clown show), getting rejected and looking at different options (clown show), fighting with the BOT/AD about the hire because there is internal disagreement about the choice (clown show), or there are salary issues/we're getting played for raises/jobs by the candidates because there names leaked too soon (clown show). Clown show, however you slice it.

Third, I would expect a scholar like you to recognize Manny Diaz, a brand new HC, is a former DC. He is known by recruits as a DC. His expertise is defense, and he has never been a HC. So while I have no doubt Manny has made calls on the offensive side of the ball because he is a passionate guy who wants to succeed, how meaningful do you believe those calls are to recruits on the offensive side of the football? Also, you may recall from your time as the wisest Hurricane's fan of all that Coach Diaz has never been considered a strong recruiter.

Fourth, while it's only been 11 days since Manny was hired as HC and he has made 1 hire (on the defensive side of the ball), he has had more time than that to consider his options. He was hired over two weeks prior to being hired here for the same position at Temple. Although I recognize the quality and type of candidate for a Temple OC and assistant coach hires is different than what I would expect at UM, one would think he'd already been looking around at who is available, who fits the style of offense he would ultimately like to pair with his defense, and what coaches on that side of the ball he would like to work with. So it isn't like he suddenly became a HC on 12/30 without strongly considering his hires. He has had considerably more time to think about these issues (which likely explain why he had a list of top 3/4 candidates within 3 days).

Want this kid as a cane. Him , Payton, KJ OSBORN, and a big wr ( Njoku) and im GUCCI!.
Those 3 savages as freshman to go with Osborn would be the perfect group. Osborn would be an upgrade from Cager, and the young guys could push the rest of the current group for PT. I’m just excited to see a lot of Njoku, Pope and Hightower next year, all should have played a lot more than Harley, Wiggins and Cager. Not a Harley fan, but I think Wiggins has a lot of potential, just needs to clean up the drops. Cager will be easily replaced

My guy the elites like rosemy we’re never coming here. Yeah they love the donk and yeah he almost committed on the spot but he’d have gone to bama Georgia Clemson when they unloaded the bags don’t kid yourself. There’s still plenty of talent left tho. Fleming and Robinson are great looking prospects. Palmetto receiver portier looks good too. Let the chips fall we will land a good receiver class if the offense is even half decent

Advertisement
Back