Florida will Allow Students to Voluntarily Repeat Grade

Advertisement
The state of Florida will now allow kids to voluntarily repeat their current grades.

I am thinking some 2020 kids whom didn't qualify or get the D1 offer they wanted will take advantage of this opportunity for an additional year of development.

For instance players like Westley Neal and Willie Moise could benefit greatly from another year in high school. But the 2021 DT class is loaded so it will be a crowded class.

Go Canes

benefit how? By being 19 going on 20 playing against mostly 16-17 year olds

& that’s going to prove what exactly?

they both can attend prep school

I don't see how this would apply to football. Maybe basketball/baseball. But football was not affected at all by this virus. I seriously doubt that HS athletics are taken into consideration, especially football.

kind of how I see it - kids who couldn’t play baseball in the spring are impacted, not having a chance to showcase their abilities to get a scholarship or even play, but football players had their full season.

Academics are being impacted by not having schools open for kids who are actually going to college for academics and will be behind, athletes included. So if kids want to go an extra year for academics it makes sense but I don’t think they should be granted another year of playing eligibility.

broad strokes don’t always work when an outlier issue like this arises. It’s not going to be fair to everyone but logic must be strong and fit the situation.

Advertisement
I don't see how this would apply to football. Maybe basketball/baseball. But football was not affected at all by this virus. I seriously doubt that HS athletics are taken into consideration, especially football.
benefit how? By being 19 going on 20 playing against mostly 16-17 year olds

& that’s going to prove what exactly?

they both can attend prep school

As I said earlier the 19 1/2 yrs old max age out limit will most likely stay. But if you have a kid who is 18 now and won't turn 19 until the start of fall then the extra year would benefit them.

Go Canes

Do you have the virus?

The 2019 football season completed without any stoppage.

no one is being given an extra year for that

It's not just about the football season, what about the myriad of players who may not progress academically that are going to universities that will require a certain GPA an if these kids needed the spring to raise their GPA's now they nada. It would make the most sense to just Reset both Academics and athletics for those wishing to repeat the year an leave the 19 1/2 yr age limit in place for athletics participation because passed that age it could become an unfair physical advantage .

You question regarding whether I have the virus or not as asinine.

Go Canes

It's not just about the football season, what about the myriad of players who may not progress academically that are going to universities that will require a certain GPA an if these kids needed the spring to raise their GPA's now they nada. It would make the most sense to just Reset both Academics and athletics for those wishing to repeat the year an leave the 19 1/2 yr age limit in place for athletics participation because passed that age it could become an unfair physical advantage .

Go Canes

I'm not the slightest bit sympathetic to any student athlete who was counting on his/her absolute last semester of HS to raise his/her GPA to a weighted 2.3 to qualify. IMO, the appropriate response to that should be some combination of "tough ****" and "this is what happens when you procrastinate." Life lessons.

In the case of football, I'm also not sure why it would "make the most sense" to allow these kids to come back and play a 5th season of HS football when COVID-19 did not impact the Florida HS football season at all. Why on Earth would we reward students who couldn't meet the fairly low Div1 academic qualifications in 7/8 semesters (not counting summers) with an extra year of eligibility? You want to give them another chance at graduation or upping their GPA, fine. But if the issue is academics, maybe these students can use the additional time a year without football will provide them to get the appropriate tutoring, study up, and hit the books hard.

I'm not the slightest bit sympathetic to any student athlete who was counting on his/her absolute last semester of HS to raise his/her GPA to a weighted 2.3 to qualify. IMO, the appropriate response to that should be some combination of "tough ****" and "this is what happens when you procrastinate." Life lessons.

In the case of football, I'm also not sure why it would "make the most sense" to allow these kids to come back and play a 5th season of HS football when COVID-19 did not impact the Florida HS football season at all. Why on Earth would we reward students who couldn't meet the fairly low Div1 academic qualifications in 7/8 semesters (not counting summers) with an extra year of eligibility? You want to give them another chance at graduation or upping their GPA, fine. But if the issue is academics, maybe these students can use the additional time a year without football will provide them to get the appropriate tutoring, study up, and hit the books hard.

You do know that 2020 Miami DT Commit Will Moise is one of those students trying to raise his GPA in the 7th hour of his senior year. He even relocated 200 miles to Edgewater HS in Orlando,Fl to a better academic school with more support for him to try an qualify for UM by August 2020.

But hey all those marginal kids should get the tough **** treatment. No Cane brethren we should not paint over those unforeseen tragedy with a broad stroke.

Go Canes

Advertisement
You do know that 2020 Miami DT Commit Will Moise is one of those students trying to raise his GPA in the 7th hour of his senior year. He even relocated 200 miles to Edgewater HS in Orlando,Fl to a better academic school with more support for him to try an qualify for UM by August 2020.

But hey all those marginal kids should get the tough **** treatment. No Cane brethren we should not paint over those unforeseen tragedy with a broad stroke.

Go Canes

I know Moise is in that boat, and it really sucks. Hopefully his test scores bail him out.
That said, it's a 2.3 weighted GPA, man. As a former educator, I just hate to see any reward associated with such low marks.
But I can respect our difference of opinion on that.

I know Moise is in that boat, and it really sucks. Hopefully his test scores bail him out.
That said, it's a 2.3 weighted GPA, man. As a former educator, I just hate to see any reward associated with such low marks.
But I can respect our difference of opinion on that.

Okay that compromise will fly!

Go Canes

09567fabb437e9d829bbca0aa21ac50f.jpg

Last edited:
Advertisement
As I said earlier the 19 1/2 yrs old max age out limit will most likely stay. But if you have a kid who is 18 now and won't turn 19 until the start of fall then the extra year would benefit them.

Go Canes

I mentioned nothing about the 19 1/2 year limit. This is related to the 4-year eligibility you get for sports. For football players, you're likely not going to get a 5th year as the HS football season was not impacted by COVID-19.

Go Canes

Why would you grant another year of football eligibility? Yes, allow them the opportunity to improve their GPA or take care of certain core credits they require for eligibility at the next level. But granting an opportunity of a 5th year for HS football makes zero sense whatsoever.

Advertisement

Go Canes

You're looking through this in the prism of a UM fan. In general, this shouldn't be allowed whether he was a Miami commit, USC commit, UF commit, etc...

You're looking through this in the prism of a UM fan. In general, this shouldn't be allowed whether he was a Miami commit, USC commit, UF commit, etc...

You **** right I always got my CaneShades On! Except for this one time in a Jacksonville strip club there was a tall plump stripper with a pair of big ole "42+EE's" mammary glands who was wearing a Canes themed outfit, so for champagne room safety reasons I removed my Caneshades.

An being that brave to rep the U in the UF belly of the Beast that Jacksonville is, I had to give her a big tip, especially with how talented she was.

Go Canes

Half of the people on here should use this retroactively.
I still have nightmares that I am back in high school, trying to convince everyone they need to get back to their jobs and families. I then realize I'm not wearing any clothing and the only place to pee is the water fountain.

**** YOU CORONAVIRUS!

Advertisement
Back