Florida will Allow Students to Voluntarily Repeat Grade

Paranos

All-ACC
The state of Florida will now allow kids to voluntarily repeat their current grades.

I am thinking some 2020 kids whom didn't qualify or get the D1 offer they wanted will take advantage of this opportunity for an additional year of development.

For instance players like Westley Neal and Willie Moise could benefit greatly from another year in high school. But the 2021 DT class is loaded so it will be a crowded class.

Go Canes

Advertisement
That is all well and good, I just dont like the fact all kids will be promoted to the next grade.

The state of Florida will now allow kids to voluntarily repeat their current grades.

I am thinking some 2020 kids whom didn't qualify or get the D1 offer they wanted will take advantage of this opportunity for an additional year of development.

For instance players like Westley Neal and Willie Moise could benefit greatly from another year in high school. But the 2021 DT class is loaded so it will be a crowded class.

Go Canes
Academic development?

Advertisement
Academic development?

Physical development mainly and improved academics would be a nice to have also.

The low 3 star 18yr old would get another year to work improving Technique, S&C, and even transfer to a better HS team.

Consider it a free year of prep school, thx to the state of Florida.

Go Canes

Last edited:
Advertisement
How does the age rule of 19 yrs and 6 months play into effect??

That is a hard rule, so a recruit considering repeating a year should also consider if they would age out before they would have enough quality 2020 season game footage.

Go Canes

Physical development mainly and improved academics would be a nice to have also.

The low 3 star 18yr old would get another year to work improving Technique, S&C, and even transfer to a better HS team.

Consider it a free year of prep school, thx to the state of Florida.

Go Canes
Just briefly read the article and didn't see athletes getting another year of high school football added.

Advertisement
Just briefly read the article and didn't see athletes getting another year of high school football added.

Their going to have make a 1 year exception there will be kids who grades drop or are not recorded due to school closings which will most likely be a problem for many university admissions offices.

Go Canes

Their going to have make a 1 year exception there will be kids who grades drop or are not recorded due to school closings which will most likely be a problem for many university admissions offices.

Go Canes

When DeSantis announced this I doubt he had athletes in mind. The details will have to be worked out.
I spoke to 2 HS HCs in SFL about this yesterday. The state could grant an extra year of eligibility only for spring sports. This is uncharted territory for everyone.....

Advertisement

Go Canes
They can go to school for grades, doesn't mean that they are going to get another year of football, especially if they are too old.

They can go to school for grades, doesn't mean that they are going to get another year of football, especially if they are too old.

Well all that will be decided in the next few weeks. I am saying the most likely and amicable solution is to allow for a full school year reset of both academics and athletics.
Because there will students who's academic progress will be retarded by this response to the unforeseen medical crisis.

Go Canes

When DeSantis announced this I doubt he had athletes in mind. The details will have to be worked out.
I spoke to 2 HS HCs in SFL about this yesterday. The state could grant an extra year of eligibility only for spring sports. This is uncharted territory for everyone.....

I don't see how this would apply to football. Maybe basketball/baseball. But football was not affected at all by this virus. I seriously doubt that HS athletics are taken into consideration, especially football.

Advertisement
Back