Florida is the best school... lol (worth reading)

Advertisement
I wouldn't consider J Mac a bust at all. He was really good b4 a tragic incident took away his playing ability too soon.
Rumph was a bust, imo....didn't play at the same level in the NFL as he did in college. Teams targeted him.
K Phillips....man, that's tough too. He was playing at a high level b4 the injuries.
K Jennings...I can put him in the bust category as well.

Bust is such a fluid description; personally, based upon what was shown in college vs the NFL, I think OSU and USCw should be higher on the bust list. Some ppl don't consider Reggie Bush a bust; I do. Yeah he's been in the league for a while, and he made one pro bowl, but based upon what he did in college, dude was supposed to be the "next."

I agree with this list, but to a certain extent.

Surprised USC, 'Bama, and OSU are on the not bust list. At least during Saban's tenure at 'Bama, I can only think of C.J. Mosley, Julio Jones, and Marcell Dareus as the only superior players. Andre Smith was a bust at LT. Played well for a little at RT. Eddie Lacy has been ok, but wasn't very good last year. I guess Rolando McClain (when he played) and Kareem Jackson have been alright.

Advertisement
Kenny Phillips:

Met him fairly recently in dubious circumstances. Couldn't believe it was him until I remembered he was in The U Part 2. We talked at length about Nevin Shapiro.

if i had to guess id say the busts are kelly jennings, mike rumph, phil buchanon and for the fourth its gotta be william joseph. both phillips and mcdougle shined before injuries

Surprised USC, 'Bama, and OSU are on the not bust list. At least during Saban's tenure at 'Bama, I can only think of C.J. Mosley, Julio Jones, and Marcell Dareus as the only superior players. Andre Smith was a bust at LT. Played well for a little at RT. Eddie Lacy has been ok, but wasn't very good last year. I guess Rolando McClain (when he played) and Kareem Jackson have been alright.

Eddie Lacey is far from a bust. Dude was a late 2nd rnd pick and has been good for the packers

Advertisement
Florida is an establishment school that has a sense of entitlement and grandeur. Those are traits admirable by many young athletes and their primary attribute along with being a member of the sec, in recruiting. Unfortunately for many of them, those are not the attributes you need when competing against the best football players at the NFL level.

Eddie Lacey is far from a bust. Dude was a late 2nd rnd pick and has been good for the packers
This ^ not to defend bama or anything but Eddie made a pro bowl his first season and was just as good in his 2nd season even though he's had his issues in the 3rd one. Andre Smith is one of the best RT's in football( started 73 of 82 games)and he's never played LT in the NFL, he should've been a guard...probably would be a pro bowler. Dont'a Hightower means the world to the pats defense, Mark Ingram is a top 15 back in the NFL and Dre Kirkpatrick has been a very serviceable corner for the Bengals so I'm not actually surprised to see them on the list for fewest busts.

Last edited:
Florida is an establishment school that has a sense of entitlement and grandeur. Those are traits admirable by many young athletes and their primary attribute along with being a member of the sec, in recruiting. Unfortunately for many of them, those are not the attributes you need when competing against the best football players at the NFL level.

"Sense of grandeur" in hogtowm. Never been on the campus or in the town, have you?

"Sense of grandeur" in hogtowm. Never been on the campus or in the town, have you?
I know people that went there, and yes, it's true. You would think a UF degree equates to a Harvard degree by how highly they think about themselves....well at least from my generation

Last edited:
Advertisement

I know people that went there, and yes, it's true. You would think a UF degree equates to a Harvard degree by how highly they think about themselves....well at least from my generation

I agree. Many of their graduates are delusional enough to think that. But in reality, there is nothing grandeur-like about that cesspool, and knowing many graduates from there, while I concede their entrance requirements are higher than they've ever been, the actual product, the 4-year undergraduate experience and degree, is sub-standard. They spend the first years going to either overcrowded cattle-call classes or actually taking many classes online. A 4-year graduate of UF has no better education than many, if not most, state school graduate in Florida. Plus the town and actual campus are actual ****holes full backwards mouthbreathers

But we're here to talk football, and since Urban left, the on-field product has been a mess. I look forward to more failure from the bucktooth swamp donkey.

I agree. Many of their graduates are delusional enough to think that. But in reality, there is nothing grandeur-like about that cesspool, and knowing many graduates from there, while I concede their entrance requirements are higher than they've ever been, the actual product, the 4-year undergraduate experience and degree, is sub-standard. They spend the first years going to either overcrowded cattle-call classes or actually taking many classes online. A 4-year graduate of UF has no better education than many, if not most, state school graduate in Florida. Plus the town and actual campus are actual ****holes full backwards mouthbreathers

But we're here to talk football, and since Urban left, the on-field product has been a mess. I look forward to more failure from the bucktooth swamp donkey.
lol...I know, Meyer was the best thing to happen to that place lol.

It all depends on what you consider a "bust". Someone earlier mentioned Reggie Bush. Yeah, he's had a long career. He's been a good but not great player. Should he be considered a bust because he never lived up to potential? I remember it being a huge deal when Houston drafted Mario Williams first overall and not Reggie. If you consider Reggie Bush a bust, then guys like Phillip Buchanon, Kelly Jennings and even Antrell Rolle can get grouped in there. Rolle has been pretty good as a safety but he struggled at corner when he first came in the league. He's managed to carve out a nice career but he was certainly never a first round talent at CB.

Advertisement
It all depends on what you consider a "bust". Someone earlier mentioned Reggie Bush. Yeah, he's had a long career. He's been a good but not great player. Should he be considered a bust because he never lived up to potential? I remember it being a huge deal when Houston drafted Mario Williams first overall and not Reggie. If you consider Reggie Bush a bust, then guys like Phillip Buchanon, Kelly Jennings and even Antrell Rolle can get grouped in there. Rolle has been pretty good as a safety but he struggled at corner when he first came in the league. He's managed to carve out a nice career but he was certainly never a first round talent at CB.
Antrel Rolle is a 3 time pro bowler at Safety...sure he wasn't a great corner but he was above average would consider Justin Smith a bust even though he was an above average 4-3 end but is a 5 time pro bowler at 3-4 end. If you don't then you gotta apply the same logic to Antrel

Last edited:

I was blown away when I made my first visit to UF

I was expecting gainesville to be this lively incredibly active fun town to be in.. and it was the exact opposite

you take the actual campus out of gainesville and it's nothing but a big town with cow fields around it

Who were our four- 1st round busts in the last 15 years?

William Joseph, Kelly Jennings, Kenny Phillips and Jerome McDougle but he doesn't really count because he was shot and never really recovered...at least all of them played a minimum 5 years in the league

Joseph was a bust.

McDougle was an injury casualty - still a bust but a different category.

Jennings was near the bottom of the 1st round. You could call him a bust but not to the same degree as a player drafted in the Top 10-15.

Didn't Phillips start 36 of 49 games for the Giants, including one of their Super Bowl teams? He wasn't a star like Ed Reed, but that doesn't mean he was a bust.

JMO.

Maybe it isn't fair to imply that some of these guys should be considered "busts", butf you're an NFL team, it doesn't really matter WHY your first round pick isn't producing. Even if it's not his fault, you're out a bunch of cash.

Advertisement
Back