Florida is latest state with proposed legislation to pay student-athletes

As soon as this issue first popped up! The NCAA stopped using players ‘likeness.’ Lot of loopholes on both sides of the issue.
That first tax evasion case on a player will send reverberations throughout the college football landscape.

Advertisement

Earlier on Monday, California Governor Gavin Newsomsigned the Fair Pay to Play Act, which will guarantee student-athletes in the state of California will have the right to market their name, image, and likeness, thus dropping the gauntlet against the NCAA. Hours later, the state of Florida is following California’s lead.

House Bill 251 was officially filed by Kionne McGhee (D) in the Florida House of Representatives. Similar to its predecessor in California and other bills starting to go through various state governmental procedures, the Florida bill aims to prevent the NCAA and colleges from blocking student-athletes from receiving compensation for the use of their likeness or name.

Similar bills have recently been filed in South Carolina and New York, and more could very well be on the way now that the first domino has fallen in California. The bill filed in New York would also potentially allow a student-athlete to hir an agent and receive an even distribution directly from the school’s athletics revenue with every other student-athlete on campus. The South Carolina bill is more in line with the basics of the California law.

We’re not about to see college football implode or anything that drastic, but these are significant developments with the game and all collegiate athletics. The NCAA hates it, but the public opinion on the matter continues to shift away from the NCAA’s stance. Not everybody is on board (many coaches have voiced their concerns despite their million-dollar contracts), but there may not be a lot that can be done if state governments are stepping in and addressing this issue.

Tell me if im wrong but the only schools that benefit from this are STATE schools....
We will now have athletes going to BIG schools where they can sign endless amounts of autographs..

Looks like we are both partially right. Yes, booster payments are illegal today, but only because they are against NCAA rules. Under these new laws, which will force those NCAA rules to change, it will no longer be illegal.

Also, the crimes the people in the Adidas scandal are being charged with are not bribery. It’s mainly wire fraud and money laundering.
You've argued from both sides. Are booster payments legal or not?

Advertisement
You've argued from both sides. Are booster payments legal or not?

I said they aren’t today. That was wrong. I also said they will be legal under the new laws. That was correct.

Booster payments aren’t bribes though under today’s laws. They are illegal because they defraud the universities.

As an athlete, would you make more money being the big fish in a small pond or being one of the many in a big pond??? It will affect hoarders like Bama and their kin in the SEC

What I meant was the I rather have my face in Miami then up there. Also there are more international companies in Miami then AL or GA ( minus Car makers )
You think international companies care about American college football?

Advertisement
No it is not, it is the end of USC and Miami.

What is to stop Billy Bob's auto repair from paying an Alabama player $1,000,000 (funneled of course from boosters) for appearing on a billboard? You think Miami has businesses who care enough to do things like that?

The IRS asking where the $1M came from.

The IRS didn't have access to players, because they weren't paying taxes, because they weren't working. Bags could be dropped because there was/is no "paper trail". Now, players will be earning income and as a result they will be paying taxes and subject to the IRS.

Payments from boosters will still be illegal. So how will a player hide a large payment from a booster/ Billy Bob auto shop? There will now be a paper trail. Sources of income will have to be reported. And a large cash payment is highly unlikely.

The IRS will not allow players to get paid thousands of dollars without getting their cut.
How they gone prove it?? them gits ain't gone tell on themselves. pay them 15hr legit and give them stacks in cash under the table. done deal.

I said they aren’t today. That was wrong. I also said they will be legal under the new laws. That was correct.

Booster payments aren’t bribes though under today’s laws. They are illegal because they defraud the universities.

They can cause a student-athlete to lose their eligibility. This a felony in some states.

Advertisement
Looks like we are both partially right. Yes, booster payments are illegal today, but only because they are against NCAA rules. Under these new laws, which will force those NCAA rules to change, it will no longer be illegal.

Also, the crimes the people in the Adidas scandal are being charged with are not bribery. It’s mainly wire fraud and money laundering.

It is not illegal to openly pay players, just against the NCAA rules. Yes moving cash from person to person without reporting it to the IRS is illegal. it's illegal when coaches are paid to influence players. The case was also about wire fraud and money laundering, which had to be done to prevent the NCAA from finding out about the payments.

Advertisement
Again, this is about college players not high school recruits so your theory is nothing but fiction.

You don’t think high school players aren’t next? Why would these state legislatures protect college athletes and not HS athletes?

It is not illegal to openly pay players, just against the NCAA rules. Yes moving cash from person to person without reporting it to the IRS is illegal. it's illegal when coaches are paid to influence players. The case was also about wire fraud and money laundering, which had to be done to prevent the NCAA from finding out about the payments.
Is there illegality in paying them under the table because the scholarships they have, which may be tied to state and/or federal funding, are then being maintained/used under false pretenses? I don’t know, so I’m asking, as this is the only way I see illegality, which is different from NCAA rules, as the NCAA doesn’t make laws beyond the rules governing the constituents of their organization.

What I meant was the I rather have my face in Miami then up there. Also there are more international companies in Miami then AL or GA ( minus Car makers )

There are more customers in Miami.
It may be a different, more legitimate, payment system-based off sales.

No it is not, it is the end of USC and Miami.

What is to stop Billy Bob's auto repair from paying an Alabama player $1,000,000 (funneled of course from boosters) for appearing on a billboard? You think Miami has businesses who care enough to do things like that?
Free plantains?

Advertisement
Back