Flash reactions

Trav

Redshirt Freshman
We got some dudes. No shortage of talent here, even with all the guys injured today.

Rambo is gonna eat in this offense. He looks like an NFL WR

OK I know everyone hates that Restrepo/Berrios comparisons but tell me you didn't see #8 there on that corner of the end zone toe tap TD? He lived up to the hype.

Knighton has a gear I'm not sure Cam does.

#88 Dante Johnson. Looked a lot better than a lot of scholarship WRs we've had in recent years. Big dude with hands. From GA. That's all I know.

Dee and Pope.. Sigh. I see why they want to make it work with these guys. They can run.. They get open. But if you can't be trusted to catch the **** ball, I don't see how you can put them at the top of the depth chart. At least Pope came back from his awful drop and made some plays. Dee had a long one late, but that's what he does. Drop, drop, big play.. I'm just not sure it's worth the trade off with the depth we have now. Pope can still help. Not sure on 8 anymore.

Starting OL loooked solid. But hard to gauge totally with so much passing.

Key Smith, you can see why the hype. Granted some of his plays were against walk ons but he's gonna be a problem.

Worsham has skills. Hopefully he can be patient.

Redding got hurt early when Jake hung him out to dry but he looks like a grown man.

GARCIA. I'm a believer. Tyler looked good but to me Garcia has it. He could very well be the #2 QB for Bama. And I think the way you saw Lashlee get on him for stuff is an indication of that.

On defense.. gonna be hard to keep Avante off the field. He's a dude.

Hard to gauge LBs with so few running plays but Flagg was active around the goal line. Still think we need help from the portal.

Chase Smith is gonna be a problem for offenses. Would like to see him maybe bulk up and become an OLB.

Keontra looks natural at LB. Early play to Knighton looked like it was gonna be a huge gainer and he kept it to a short one.

Younger Borregales looks fine. No long attempts but looks like he'll pick up right where Jose left off.

Didn't see a ton out of the DL. Again, too few running plays to truly gauge. Ends seemed active. McCloud was what I expected. He'll get a few snaps but stop sh*tting your pants thinking he's gonna get like 50 snaps a game.

Rique looked the part. Most physical CB we've had since Corn Elder, but in a 1st round body. I think he's a safety at the next level but he'll lock down a side here.

Ivey got hurt early so hard to say if the "improvement" hype is warranted.

Hall and Carter had some tackles early they might have whiffed on at the end of last year, so that was encouraging. But Hall still got beat over the top too much.

For the mopes:

Didn't see Carter get any snaps at safety. Think it was all striker.

Pope didn't field any PRs

Seems like Jennings is clearly a backup at this point. I don't think he got any snaps with the 1s.

Overall, it was good and didn't see any injuries that looked serious. Been watching spring games for near 30 years. I can tell when there's talent. We got talent. Let's see what we do with it.

Advertisement
We got some dudes. No shortage of talent here, even with all the guys injured today.

OK I know everyone hates that Restrepo/Berrios comparisons but tell me you didn't see #8 there on that corner of the end zone toe tap TD? He lived up to the hype.

#88 Dante Johnson. Looked a lot better than a lot of scholarship WRs we've had in recent years. Big dude with hands. From GA. That's all I know.

Dee and Pope.. Sigh. I see why they want to make it work with these guys. They can run.. They get open. But if you can't be trusted to catch the **** ball, I don't see how you can put them at the top of the depth chart. At least Pope came back from his awful drop and made some plays. Dee had a long one late, but that's what he does. Drop, drop, big play.. I'm just not sure it's worth the trade off with the depth we have now. Pope can still help. Not sure on 8 anymore.

Key Smith, you can see why the hype. Granted some of his plays were against walk ons but he's gonna be a problem.

Redding got hurt early when Jake hung him out to dry but he looks like a grown man.

GARCIA. I'm a believer. Tyler looked good but to me Garcia has it. He could very well be the #2 QB for Bama. And I think the way you saw Lashlee get on him for stuff is an indication of that.

Hard to gauge LBs with so few running plays but Flagg was active around the goal line. Still think we need help from the portal.

Chase Smith is gonna be a problem for offenses. Would like to see him maybe bulk up and become an OLB.

Keontra looks natural at LB. Early play to Knighton looked like it was gonna be a huge gainer and he kept it to a short one.

Younger Borregales looks fine. No long attempts but looks like he'll pick up right where Jose left off.

Didn't see a ton out of the DL. Again, too few running plays to truly gauge. Ends seemed active. McCloud was what I expected. He'll get a few snaps but stop sh*tting your pants thinking he's gonna get like 50 snaps a game.

Rique looked the part. Most physical CB we've had since Corn Elder, but in a 1st round body. I think he's a safety at the next level but he'll lock down a side here.

Hall and Carter had some tackles early they might have whiffed on at the end of last year, so that was encouraging. But Hall still got beat over the top too much.

For the mopes:

Seems like Jennings is clearly a backup at this point. I don't think he got any snaps with the 1s.

Overall, it was good and didn't see any injuries that looked serious. Been watching spring games for near 30 years. I can tell when there's talent. We got talent. Let's see what we do with it.
Carter isn’t a safety anymore

Last edited:
Advertisement
The early penalties were annoying & get Pope/Wiggins out of here already. Wanted to see us run a bit more but I think low numbers at rb affected that, Knighton looked solid though. TVD & Garcia both looked good but Garcia's footwork within the pocket & his deep ball were especially impressive. It was tough to gage the defensive front 7 but the secondary looked pretty good, TS & Avantae stood out to me. If they stay healthy it'll be criminal for X & Keyshawn not to see heavy PT this year. Can't wait to see Arroyo once he's healthy.

For the mopes:

I agree with everything u said but the cam Harris comment. Cam has a lot of speed and definitely has a second gear and out runs angles more times than not. The biggest difference is Rooster can stop and start without losing speed. On the other hand Cam is a downhill one cut and go type of guy without a whole bunch of wiggle. Cam is more of T.Homer while Rooster is more of a duke imo

For the mopes:

agree with most almost all of this- but besides the one tackle that flagg made, i do not think he was in on another single pass or run play the entire game- we need someone else to step up at MLB imo.

Avantae and iKinchens both looked really good.

As much as I want to root for him to turn it around, I think it’s best for everyone if Wiggins transfers. He’s taking snaps from younger talented guys at this point and he can probably put up numbers at an FCS school. Youngstown State has been good to Florida guys. Maybe living in some cold weather will toughen him up.

Advertisement
Here's the thing about #88. People get WAY too caught up in 40 times with WRs. If you can't catch the ball, you shouldn't play the position. It's actually in the position name. Receiver. If this dude can run routes and catch the ball consistently, I want him on the field over any WR that can fly but can't catch.

The early penalties were annoying & get Pope/Wiggins out of here already. Wanted to see us run a bit more but I think low numbers at rb affected that, Knighton looked solid though. TVD & Garcia both looked good but Garcia's footwork within the pocket & his deep ball were especially impressive. It was tough to gage the defensive front 7 but the secondary looked pretty good, TS & Avantae stood out to me. If they stay healthy it'll be criminal for X & Keyshawn not to see heavy PT this year. Can't wait to see Arroyo once he's healthy.
That (Only 2b scholarship RBs) and Lashlee has to see what he's got with these QBs

Here's the thing about #88. People get WAY too caught up in 40 times with WRs. If you can't catch the ball, you shouldn't play the position. It's actually in the position name. Receiver. If this dude can run routes and catch the ball consistently, I want him on the field over any WR that can fly but can't catch.
We got guys now that can do both. That's why I'm not sure we need to keep trying to make it work with 6 and 8. I get it last year. Lots of true freshmen. But now, unless there's a bunch of injuries, I don't see the necessity.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Carter isn’t a safety anymore
Carter indeed had reps at safety today. I think we will see him take most reps towards the LOS unless he’s on the field and we get caught in certain looks were he has to play a single high spot. But for the most parts from what I saw he’s gunna be near the LOS

we have a team, no doubt, a good one. Now, sprinkle in some very highly touted young freshman and there is some real depth for the first time in years.

But please, it's time for Pope and Wiggins to be relegated to nothing more than veteran depth
If Manny brings in a legit class for '22, we'll have more talent and depth than we've had in 15 years.

Carter indeed had reps at safety today. I think we will see him take most reps towards the LOS unless he’s on the field and we get caught in certain looks were he has to play a single high spot. But for the most parts from what I saw he’s gunna be near the LOS
He’s a striker , he might’ve played some plays there but that’s not his main spot. I didn’t watch the entire game. Im sure it was because of guys being out at safety

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back