Flash reactions

If Manny brings in a legit class for '22, we'll have more talent and depth than we've had in 15 years.
Talent wise, I like what he's building. Now to just improve during the season. The reason I get so mad at him is not because of who he is recruiting, it's how he gets them prepped for games. Here's hoping we see a giant step forward this year in terms of game day readiness. We take that step, we will shock some people.

Advertisement
We got some dudes. No shortage of talent here, even with all the guys injured today.

Rambo is gonna eat in this offense. He looks like an NFL WR

OK I know everyone hates that Restrepo/Berrios comparisons but tell me you didn't see #8 there on that corner of the end zone toe tap TD? He lived up to the hype.

Knighton has a gear I'm not sure Cam does.

#88 Dante Johnson. Looked a lot better than a lot of scholarship WRs we've had in recent years. Big dude with hands. From GA. That's all I know.

Dee and Pope.. Sigh. I see why they want to make it work with these guys. They can run.. They get open. But if you can't be trusted to catch the **** ball, I don't see how you can put them at the top of the depth chart. At least Pope came back from his awful drop and made some plays. Dee had a long one late, but that's what he does. Drop, drop, big play.. I'm just not sure it's worth the trade off with the depth we have now. Pope can still help. Not sure on 8 anymore.

Starting OL loooked solid. But hard to gauge totally with so much passing.

Key Smith, you can see why the hype. Granted some of his plays were against walk ons but he's gonna be a problem.

Worsham has skills. Hopefully he can be patient.

Redding got hurt early when Jake hung him out to dry but he looks like a grown man.

GARCIA. I'm a believer. Tyler looked good but to me Garcia has it. He could very well be the #2 QB for Bama. And I think the way you saw Lashlee get on him for stuff is an indication of that.

On defense.. gonna be hard to keep Avante off the field. He's a dude.

Hard to gauge LBs with so few running plays but Flagg was active around the goal line. Still think we need help from the portal.

Chase Smith is gonna be a problem for offenses. Would like to see him maybe bulk up and become an OLB.

Keontra looks natural at LB. Early play to Knighton looked like it was gonna be a huge gainer and he kept it to a short one.

Younger Borregales looks fine. No long attempts but looks like he'll pick up right where Jose left off.

Didn't see a ton out of the DL. Again, too few running plays to truly gauge. Ends seemed active. McCloud was what I expected. He'll get a few snaps but stop sh*tting your pants thinking he's gonna get like 50 snaps a game.

Rique looked the part. Most physical CB we've had since Corn Elder, but in a 1st round body. I think he's a safety at the next level but he'll lock down a side here.

Ivey got hurt early so hard to say if the "improvement" hype is warranted.

Hall and Carter had some tackles early they might have whiffed on at the end of last year, so that was encouraging. But Hall still got beat over the top too much.

For the mopes:

Didn't see Carter get any snaps at safety. Think it was all striker.

Pope didn't field any PRs

Seems like Jennings is clearly a backup at this point. I don't think he got any snaps with the 1s.

Overall, it was good and didn't see any injuries that looked serious. Been watching spring games for near 30 years. I can tell when there's talent. We got talent. Let's see what we do with it.
Dante Johnson would be a nice TE. Not a fast WR, nice size and hands. Played basketball in HS. Look at his HS tape. He has a nice TE skillset, from the slot he finds the cushion and gives QB a nice target. Also very willing blocker.

Talent wise, I like what he's building. Now to just improve during the season. The reason I get so mad at him is not because of who he is recruiting, it's how he gets them prepped for games. Here's hoping we see a giant step forward this year in terms of game day readiness. We take that step, we will shock some people.
Facts. Hopefully shoop helps him with properly preparing the defense better in particular.

Advertisement
He needs to get better at both. We’re improving in talent but plenty of room to get better. OL, WR, DT, LB, CB all have room to impeove a lot but we’re headed in the right way. We haven’t stacked two good classes in a row since Butch left.

I’m just happy how much better of a football team we looked then FSU. Even with all the injuries and players out. It’s gonna be a fun season. Take spring with a grain of salt. Nobody wins a starting job in spring. But it should be encouraging the depth and talent all over the field for this team. Especially when everyone’s healthy and the other freshman get on campus.

We got some dudes. No shortage of talent here, even with all the guys injured today.

Rambo is gonna eat in this offense. He looks like an NFL WR

OK I know everyone hates that Restrepo/Berrios comparisons but tell me you didn't see #8 there on that corner of the end zone toe tap TD? He lived up to the hype.

Knighton has a gear I'm not sure Cam does.

#88 Dante Johnson. Looked a lot better than a lot of scholarship WRs we've had in recent years. Big dude with hands. From GA. That's all I know.

Dee and Pope.. Sigh. I see why they want to make it work with these guys. They can run.. They get open. But if you can't be trusted to catch the **** ball, I don't see how you can put them at the top of the depth chart. At least Pope came back from his awful drop and made some plays. Dee had a long one late, but that's what he does. Drop, drop, big play.. I'm just not sure it's worth the trade off with the depth we have now. Pope can still help. Not sure on 8 anymore.

Starting OL loooked solid. But hard to gauge totally with so much passing.

Key Smith, you can see why the hype. Granted some of his plays were against walk ons but he's gonna be a problem.

Worsham has skills. Hopefully he can be patient.

Redding got hurt early when Jake hung him out to dry but he looks like a grown man.

GARCIA. I'm a believer. Tyler looked good but to me Garcia has it. He could very well be the #2 QB for Bama. And I think the way you saw Lashlee get on him for stuff is an indication of that.

On defense.. gonna be hard to keep Avante off the field. He's a dude.

Hard to gauge LBs with so few running plays but Flagg was active around the goal line. Still think we need help from the portal.

Chase Smith is gonna be a problem for offenses. Would like to see him maybe bulk up and become an OLB.

Keontra looks natural at LB. Early play to Knighton looked like it was gonna be a huge gainer and he kept it to a short one.

Younger Borregales looks fine. No long attempts but looks like he'll pick up right where Jose left off.

Didn't see a ton out of the DL. Again, too few running plays to truly gauge. Ends seemed active. McCloud was what I expected. He'll get a few snaps but stop sh*tting your pants thinking he's gonna get like 50 snaps a game.

Rique looked the part. Most physical CB we've had since Corn Elder, but in a 1st round body. I think he's a safety at the next level but he'll lock down a side here.

Ivey got hurt early so hard to say if the "improvement" hype is warranted.

Hall and Carter had some tackles early they might have whiffed on at the end of last year, so that was encouraging. But Hall still got beat over the top too much.

For the mopes:

Didn't see Carter get any snaps at safety. Think it was all striker.

Pope didn't field any PRs

Seems like Jennings is clearly a backup at this point. I don't think he got any snaps with the 1s.

Overall, it was good and didn't see any injuries that looked serious. Been watching spring games for near 30 years. I can tell when there's talent. We got talent. Let's see what we do with it.
Good first reaction.

Advertisement
I got to watch the first three offensive series before I had to turn the game off. But from that and clips I’ve seen it seemed like the O Line was really good in blitz pickup. Did anyone else see that?

My takeaways:

Garcia looked the part. TVD made some nice throws, particularly the dime to Restrepo. I been wondering why coaches never mention Matocha, well...let's just say I wonder no more.

I was in disbelief when 6 and 8 dropped deep balls early in the game. At the very least, they did later make plays...however I think at least 1 of our incoming true freshmen takes about 1/3 of each of their snaps. They will not be benched but they will not have the same amount of rope they had to drop passes and not lose PT this year.

Keyshawn Smith is going to play huge minutes. He seemed to disappear but at the same time no need to feature him in a spring game, keep it vanilla. Same with Restrepo, he will force himself on the field. Harley and Rambo are 1A/1B. Redding almost got his back broken by Washington, both he and Daz....the hit on Daz was targeting 100%...noticed he eased up later in the game as coaches told him to save that for the Bama game lol..

95 Davis has a skill you can't teach, his motor he displayed in HS is REAL...can't teach effort and his run-down of the WR shows that he will be a relentless pass rusher once he learns and puts on a bit more weight. As noted by other posters, hard to get a feel for DL with us passing like 90% of the snaps.

Wasn't happy with the LBs not scraping on the Knighton TD run...also a bad angle taken by our safety, couldn't tell who that was. Chase Smith is a PLAYER...wouldn't be surprised if he didn't lead the Spring game in tackles....Keontra made a play or two and Carter as well. Not too much from LBs as they mostly were in pass protection, but one noteworthy item was that passes caught over the middle didn't result in huge gains from missed tackles, so that's a plus.

Tyrique showed us all how a DB is supposed to react with the ball in flight...adjust and make a play on the ball...hopefully that's infectious...Ivey seemed to look the part, hope him being dinged up was minor, we'll need him. DBs looked to be in position to make plays so to me it verifies the TRob impact. Kinchens didn't look out of place at all, he'll be super solid for us on the backend with a year or two in the strength program. Tae is going to be another big time PLAYER for us, his suddenness and closing speed when tackling immediately validates his #1 Safety ranking coming out of HS. Washington is a THUMPER, has to be under control though or else he'll be 2nd coming of Amari "Targeting" Carter.

Borregales looked good, although it's hard to simulate 50K people yelling on the road at UNC or FSU...he did his job today, didn't miss...about all he can do until the games begin in the fall. Hedley is the #1 punter in the nation..but we all knew that coming in.

He’s a striker , he might’ve played some plays there but that’s not his main spot. I didn’t watch the entire game. Im sure it was because of guys being out at safety
True. I still think he’s gonna get burn at SS. That’s where he was most of the scrimmage. I think Bubba, Hall, Tae got that FS rotation down...but I’ll tell y’all this, Tae is every bit a head hunter as Carter lol. He had 2 “targets” in the scrimmage..personally I love that. I don’t even give Carter **** for those. 5 problem is open field tackles..then that boy Keyshawn Washington is not to be slept on. We saw that clip earlier In the spring him laying the wood in rooster forcing a fumble..did it again today. Granted it would’ve been a targeting in a real game lol

Advertisement
Prep should no longer be an issue. We got some dudes coaching as well.

I will add the broadcasters talking up Miami as ready to take a real step was nice to hear.

Advertisement
Best Spring Game I've seen since before Randy Shannon.

+ QBs, Team S&C especially Ford and Donaldson, Keontra, Key, Knighton, Rambo, Stevenson, Tae, Borregales, Restrepo, our walkon WR/TE

- LBs very quiet, penalties (including Stevenson), Wiggins and to a lesser extent Pope.

Imagine this team with all the injured players back plus all the true freshman on campus!

Sorry about this question but reven do the 5 star Frosh we got arrive on campus? Taylor amd Williams?

Advertisement
Back