Flag football question

Babscanes

Freshman
Hey guys looking for a little help here. I’m coaching 10-11 this year after coaching 9-10 last year.

Anyone have experience with these age groups? I got the feeling running the ball won’t be so easy now. Any tips? I got a kid whose a threat to house it every time so I don’t want to go all pass.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. And he’s my son so he’s a cane fan!!

Advertisement
Hey guys looking for a little help here. I’m coaching 10-11 this year after coaching 9-10 last year.

Anyone have experience with these age groups? I got the feeling running the ball won’t be so easy now. Any tips? I got a kid whose a threat to house it every time so I don’t want to go all pass.

I coached back in the day in Texas - my advice, keep it fun and pass as much as possible. They need to learn to catch the ball asap. If you don’t have a strong qb or your team can’t catch, include some misdirection plays that will give them wide open looks to build confidence.

oAijCGj.gif

You have to move them onto their next evolution and push them with the passing game.

There a bunch of good training videos for kids in that age group for skills that will develop speed, hand-eye coordination/footwork/ hands.

Be open and fluid with any evaluations at that age. Don’t try and peg kids based on height/weight/speed immediately. If you absolutely can’t find an arm, they’re are some creative ways to also motion and do a lot of misdirection on pitches/short passes.

Push them. It’s a disservice to not test and nourish there skills.

Advertisement

I coach 13u, pads, so i get it. Started off with flag babies won a ship. And moved on.

As @rascon Stated, misdirection is your friend. Its really hard to answer this question without knowing your leagues rules and the talent you have at your disposal. Also need to know if its 5v5, 7v7, or 11v11. We used a lot of misdirection and we had two really shifty kids that were a little more advanced than the others their age and, im not gonna lie, it was a cake walk. We barely passed at all.

We just isolated their slowest contain players in the open field, and it was too easy. Mind you, these were 5 to 6 years old we dont have flag leagues for the older kids, here.

A fast scrambling quarterback is the ultimate weapon in flag football. Having unusually tall wide receivers to pair is a bonus. Years ago my son was on a flag football team that won a massive Central Texas tournament in the 11 year old bracket that featured both factors.

Put your kid that can house it at QB if you can. Let him make plays.

*1994, 1995 Oceanside, CA Flag Football Champion*

Advertisement

Bunch your receivers close to the center on every play. Because it opens up the entire field and allows time for the QB to get set before launching a quick pass. Playing receivers out wide (ex. 4-wide), almost takes them out of the play at that age.

5 & 10 yard ins/outs.
Crossing routes from both sides (mesh concept).
1-3 yard outs are deadly.

Having a QB that can move and distribute the ball will give you the most returns on the above offense.

Draft your QB who is willing to work with you on a one on one basis prior to the season. Than one or more receivers with the emphasis on teaching mechanics and footwork. It's so much easier and beneficial to teach in these sessions, then when the team practices.
With 9-10 year olds we ran hurry up stuff with me yelling out the plays on different snap counts to slow down the opponents rusher....
Lots of really good videos to help teach your young QB's.
Great memories ......

Advertisement
Some really good stuff in here as you transition from run plays in flag to passing. But again, the goal should be getting them to pass more often than not.

Drills, wrist bands and hurry up will help you implement somewhat complex but simple pass plays that create confusion on defense. You don’t need a lot of plays - just rotate the players to different positions. We did that when my kids were in 4th grade and part way into 5th grade. Then we got to the point we were a crazy aerial show, throwing either precision slants or throwing 25-30 yard air bombs on every play. What you’ll find is that most teams can’t defend good passing attacks at that age. We moved on to 7v7 in 6th grade and played into high school.

Good luck!

Bunch your receivers close to the center on every play. Because it opens up the entire field and allows time for the QB to get set before launching a quick pass. Playing receivers out wide (ex. 4-wide), almost takes them out of the play at that age.

5 & 10 yard ins/outs.
Crossing routes from both sides (mesh concept).
1-3 yard outs are deadly.

Having a QB that can move and distribute the ball will give you the most returns on the above offense.
This is exactly what I’m planning. A lot of bunch sets with crossing routes. Hopefully I get a good qb. Doesn’t matter what level of football you play. No qb your screwed.

Some really good stuff in here as you transition from run plays in flag to passing. But again, the goal should be getting them to pass more often than not.

Drills, wrist bands and hurry up will help you implement somewhat complex but simple pass plays that create confusion on defense. You don’t need a lot of plays - just rotate the players to different positions. We did that when my kids were in 4th grade and part way into 5th grade. Then we got to the point we were a crazy aerial show, throwing either precision slants or throwing 25-30 yard air bombs on every play. What you’ll find is that most teams can’t defend good passing attacks at that age. We moved on to 7v7 in 6th grade and played into high school.

Good luck!
Thanks. We used wrist bands last year Huge advantage to going fast. Maybe I’ll try rotating the dynamic kids more based on formation to feed them the ball.

Advertisement
Incorporate the chop block.

Also, no kneeling.

Seriously, it's a "get them in-space" game.

Get your motion mismatches.

Advertisement
Back