FIU vs #12 Miami

Advertisement
I just saw the boxscore, Miami shot the lights out from 3, 13/21 and FIU still kept it close. Would not have guessed that.

I just saw the boxscore, Miami shot the lights out from 3, 13/21 and FIU still kept it close. Would not have guessed that.

You can pretty much boil it down to this:

Offensive rebounds: 16 FIU, 7 UM (-9)
Turnovers: 10 FIU, 14 UM (-4)

Gave them 13 extra possessions. Shooting lights out is basically the only way to win when you do that.

Advertisement
He was draped by 7 footer and once he gets in foul trouble he really cant play defense, completely changes how aggressive he can be because we have NOTHING besides him inside..
And still had 11 rebounds. That is good night on boards for anyone

Advertisement
Offense wasn't the issue, not having Omier for stretches was. He has to avoid bad fouls, he has to find a way to stay on the floor because he is the one consistent big on the roster. Nwoko is young, he will come along as the season goes on, but it's obvious that he's adjusting to the college game. I think his ceiling this year will be to be an athletic dude that comes off the bench and gets dunks and second chance buckets. In other words, what Tonye Jekiri was as a true freshman. What kept FIU in the game was hustle points, you look at Miami offensively, it was an extremely efficient night, without those second chance points, FIU likely loses by 15+

Advertisement
Obviously the lack of a bench remains the big issue going forward, injuries/foul trouble/fatigue happen, we can't be counting on the starters playing 32-35 minutes a night going forward. We need at least 2 of the Casey/George/Watson/Nwoko group to be able to put in a solid 12-15 minutes a game. I know Coach L thinks he can work with Norchad to limit the foul trouble, but Norchad as an undersized center, is going to have to jump to contest and that naturally results in a high propensity for committing fouls. So I think we really have to hope Nwoko or Casey can do something as a back-up 5.

Also I agree with other's comments that Pack needs to go back to primarily being the off-ball guard (except when Bensley sits), I think being PG fatigues him a bit too much and impacts his shot and even his defense to some extent (although he just doesn't have the size and lateral quickness to ever be an above average defender).

We enter a stretch of the schedule for the next month or so where we will see what this team is really made of. I think 2 or less losses bodes really well, 3 losses is probably the O/U and more than 3 and we are in for a long season.

Advertisement
Omier has had foul trouble all throughout his UM career. I don't know what else L can do to solve the problem.
If you were the only "big" out there for UM (last season plus this year), how are you not getting in foul trouble?

IMO, Omier did a great job of avoiding it, as much as possible, last season.

Why we need Nwoko and I'll throw in Casey (even though not really an inside presence), to play critical minutes this year.

Last edited:

I was at the game and it was far from empty. Were you at the game? if not dont complain about the attendamce
I just did complain about the attendance. Would you like me to do it again? Your weak "argument from authority" doesn't refute what I posted. The cameras showed the stands multiple times. It was pathetic. Seats were selling on Seat Geek for a dollar. And all 5 games I went to last year were half full at best. Stop being the blind homer. A real basketball school packs the house no matter what night it is.

1699967476455.png
1699967456461.png

Advertisement
Back