Fishing Question

Advertisement
I commissioned my daughter's ex-boyfriend last year to sketch an old 1974 photo that I took of my buddy (not shirtless) getting shrimp at Alabama Jacks from a dock hand. We had rented a wood skiff with I believe a 10hp motor to fish the finger channels for snapper and Card Sound for seatrout.
@SSCane @huracan17 @423Hurricane @Turnoverchaincane @RVACane @1LuvCane

AlabamaJ2.JPG

Last edited:
I commissioned my daughter's ex-boyfriend last year to sketch an old 1974 photo that I took of my buddy (not shirtless) getting shrimp at Alabama Jacks from a dock hand. We had rented a wood skiff with I believe a 10hp motor to fish the finger channels and Card Sound for seatrout.
@SSCane @huracan17 @423Hurricane @Turnoverchaincane @RVACane @1LuvCane

View attachment 102218
Not sure I should compliment your daughters ex but he's very talented. That's an awesome sketch!

Advertisement
There was a place on Ram Rod Key about 30 miles or so north of Key West called the A & B Lobster House. Sat right on the water. They had awesome conch fritters as well. That was back in the '70's.
Been there from what I recall. Are you from the Keys?

Advertisement
It was a good time. I live there December- April now
Awesome! It's changed drastically from when I was a kid going down there in the late 60' and 70's. Weren't many places to get groceries or gas. Last time I was there was in '92 and I was blown away by all the new stores.

Advertisement
Awesome! It's changed drastically from when I was a kid going down there in the late 60' and 70's. Weren't many places to get groceries or gas. Last time I was there was in '92 and I was blown away by all the new stores.
The " powers to be" are trying to make it KW again. It was losing its character, getting too commercial.

Last edited:
Used to stand on dock behind my house in key west at night and catch enough shrimp in about 15 minutes with a dip net to make a nice meal. All the conch and spiny lobster I could eat in the water right behind my house. Spent 3 years there late 70,s.
Same here! The Conchs are everywhere, endangered species my ***. You can't even walk on the flats without seeing 100's of them

Advertisement
Same here! The Conchs are everywhere, endangered species my ***. You can't even walk on the flats without seeing 100's of them
So you're walking the flats and seeing hundreds of conch shells in 2019? Man you got the mother of all secret spots. I grew up in Key Largo in the 70's and 80's and still visit frequently. I still enjoy the place and still consider it my slice of paradise. But by no means are the fruits of the ocean as plentiful as it once was down there. I lived at MM99 On the bayside and my grandmother would send me down to the water with my gig and tell me to bring home some lobster. It was that easy. We would also head offshore and free dive in 20 foot of water and grab as much conch as we wanted. Those days are long gone my friend. They Keys are over fished and the reefs are not doing very well either. The Keys fishery has seen better days. Way to much pressure on the eco system these days.

Go Canes!!!!!!

I'm not saying that they didn't get wiped out in the early to mid 80's. I think I was about 7,8,9 year old range when the ban went in to effect. I remember being on the sandbars as my dad and his friends were cleaning the Conch, we had to get out the water every couple minutes while the Bull Sharks rolled thru to get theirs. For instance, my girlfriend and I were kayaking along Smathers Beach this winter and we started walking and she must've picked up 10 Queen Conch in 5 minutes, in that area alone

Advertisement
Back