First Post: One Reason I Remain (Sort Of) Hopeful

I've had an unused account for more than a year, but that deflating performance yesterday was enough to drive me to sit down and make my first post on here (instead of doing my job). I apologize in advance if it seems like I don't know what I am doing on here.

I am not going to wildly overreact to a glorified exhibition game where we were missing a number of defensive starters and where we started a third-string quarterback who clearly wasn't ready for primetime. But like most of you, I came away from that game yesterday with LOTS of questions about Mario's acumen as a gameday coach and this staff's ability to make important in-game adjustments. I will also admit that when we fired Manny Diaz, I badly wanted Lane Kiffin so that we could finally enjoy a competent, innovative, and new-age offense.

But with all of that said, here is why I remain (sort of) hopeful:

The Trenches:

For all of Mario's faults this season, one thing he deserves credit for is the improvement of the OL. Miami hasn't fielded an above-average OL since the Romberg, McKinnie and Gonzalez days (apologies to my guy Jon Feliciano, but he is only one man). The big reason for is that we were always physically overmatched. I am not a football expert, especially when it comes to the offensive and defensive line, but size matters more than athleticism and skill. One thing that has become clear from watching Bama and Georgia is that if your line doesn't average 300 lbs., you aren't going to be pushing anyone around.

Mario recognized this and immediately went out and flipped that unit, making it way larger and way more physical. He went out and snagged Cohen (305 lbs), Mauigoa (315 lbs) and Lee (295 lbs) and what happened? Miami had the best offensive line we've seen in at least a decade. The result was a much better offense both on the ground and through the air. If you takeaway the turnovers (and yes, I realize that's a ridiculous hypothetical), this was a Top 20 offense even without top end talent at wide receiver (X and Colbie Young excluded).

Fast-forward to last night and I think we can all agree that the defensive line got absolutely abused yesterday. They got pushed around on the line of scrimmage from the jump and even though the coaching staff made absolutely zero adjustments to stop a team that clearly couldn't throw, there is only so much the staff can do when all the interior lineman are sub-300 pounds.

Again, look at Georgia or Alabama. Those teams average 320 pounds across the interior. Meanwhile, Miami is starting Deen (285 lbs), Harrison-Hunte (285 lbs) and subbing in Gore (275 lbs), and Lich (who cares, see ya later). The Rutgers OL was MUCH larger and with all due respect to our guys, it is impossible to compete at the highest level of college football without more physicality, especially since we are still turning over the linebacker room as well.

The good news is that I think Mario knows that.

He put a huge emphasis on defensive line recruiting this year and look what we got. Justin Scott is already over 300 lbs, Artavius Jones can easily get there, CJ Clark is over 300 lbs and Marley Cook is close. I'd love another road-grading defensive tackle from the portal, even if he just eats space. But I think Mario is finally building an OL and DL room that can at least look the part, but you can't flip those rooms overnight.

Yes, of course Miami needs better quarterback play and a few more difference-makers on the outside. But Rutgers literally just proved last night that if you can own the opponent at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, you don't really need a star QB or wide receivers to win football games, especially in college.

One of the main reasons Miami has always played down to its competition over the past 6-7 years has been that physically, they have never really set themselves apart from the Dukes and NC States and Georgia Techs.

Change that and Miami at least will have a foundation to build around. Adding impact skill players is easier than adding impact offensive lineman and defensive lineman, especially with the speed and skill in South Florida.

How'd I do?

Advertisement
Celebrate Happy Birthday GIF by Gerbert!

Advertisement
I've had an unused account for more than a year, but that deflating performance yesterday was enough to drive me to sit down and make my first post on here (instead of doing my job). I apologize in advance if it seems like I don't know what I am doing on here.

I am not going to wildly overreact to a glorified exhibition game where we were missing a number of defensive starters and where we started a third-string quarterback who clearly wasn't ready for primetime. But like most of you, I came away from that game yesterday with LOTS of questions about Mario's acumen as a gameday coach and this staff's ability to make important in-game adjustments. I will also admit that when we fired Manny Diaz, I badly wanted Lane Kiffin so that we could finally enjoy a competent, innovative, and new-age offense.

The Trenches:

For all of Mario's faults this season, one thing he deserves credit for is the improvement of the OL. Miami hasn't fielded an above-average OL since the Romberg, McKinnie and Gonzalez days (apologies to my guy Jon Feliciano, but he is only one man). The big reason for is that we were always physically overmatched. I am not a football expert, especially when it comes to the offensive and defensive line, but size matters more than athleticism and skill. One thing that has become clear from watching Bama and Georgia is that if your line doesn't average 300 lbs., you aren't going to be pushing anyone around.

Mario recognized this and immediately went out and flipped that unit, making it way larger and way more physical. He went out and snagged Cohen (305 lbs), Mauigoa (315 lbs) and Lee (295 lbs) and what happened? Miami had the best offensive line we've seen in at least a decade. The result was a much better offense both on the ground and through the air. If you takeaway the turnovers (and yes, I realize that's a ridiculous hypothetical), this was a Top 20 offense even without top end talent at wide receiver (X and Colbie Young excluded).

Fast-forward to last night and I think we can all agree that the defensive line got absolutely abused yesterday. They got pushed around on the line of scrimmage from the jump and even though the coaching staff made absolutely zero adjustments to stop a team that clearly couldn't throw, there is only so much the staff can do when all the interior lineman are sub-300 pounds.

Again, look at Georgia or Alabama. Those teams average 320 pounds across the interior. Meanwhile, Miami is starting Deen (285 lbs), Harrison-Hunte (285 lbs) and subbing in Gore (275 lbs), and Lich (who cares, see ya later). The Rutgers OL was MUCH larger and with all due respect to our guys, it is impossible to compete at the highest level of college football without more physicality, especially since we are still turning over the linebacker room as well.

He put a huge emphasis on defensive line recruiting this year and look what we got. Justin Scott is already over 300 lbs, Artavius Jones can easily get there, CJ Clark is over 300 lbs and Marley Cook is close. I'd love another road-grading defensive tackle from the portal, even if he just eats space. But I think Mario is finally building an OL and DL room that can at least look the part, but you can't flip those rooms overnight.

Yes, of course Miami needs better quarterback play and a few more difference-makers on the outside. But Rutgers literally just proved last night that if you can own the opponent at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, you don't really need a star QB or wide receivers to win football games, especially in college.

One of the main reasons Miami has always played down to its competition over the past 6-7 years has been that physically, they have never really set themselves apart from the Dukes and NC States and Georgia Techs.

Change that and Miami at least will have a foundation to build around. Adding impact skill players is easier than adding impact offensive lineman and defensive lineman, especially with the speed and skill in South Florida.

How'd I do?

Great post.

We're just wrapped year two of an overdue rebuild and a broke program that was kicking water up hill for over 15 years with Donna Shalala at the helm—and Miami just became a money-spending program in December 2021.

Yes, it starts with the trenches and Miami hasn't had a legit o-line in two decades—and massive upgrades just made to the d-line with this last recruiting cycle.

As the Playoffs are proving—as well as FSU's success the past two years—teams go as far as their quarterback takes them and Tyler Van Dyke has been a total bust outside of a few air-it-out games in 2021.

To start 4-0 this year and to ring up aTm for 374 yards and five touchdowns—11 touchdowns and one pick his first four games this season—to regress as he did; unable to read a zone defense and coughing up 11 picks and two fumbles against GT, UNC, UVA, NC State and FSU.... Jesus. It was an abysmal second-third of the year for him and that 7-5 regular season is easily 10-2 if the kid just plays decent (GT, UNC, NC State all winnable games with good quarterback play.)

McCarthy at Michigan... Milroe at Alabama... Ewers at Texas... Penix at Washington.... even Travis at FSU; kid was 0-4 to start 2021 and 5-7 that year and then goes 21-3 over the next two seasons and was riding a 16-game win-streak before he broke his leg against North Alabama.

Get Miami a capable f**king quarterback already and let's see what this thing looks like; Miami looking for their next great hope since we felt Brock Berlin was a step down after a 20-5 run and 5-0 record against FSU and UF over his two years.

Advertisement
Mario said this was going to take some time. Look at Oregon, the years of recruiting he did there is bearing fruit now. It is gonna take a few years. We have to be patient.

Beyond that, his detractors refuse to admit that Dan Lanning walked into a goldmine based on what Mario left behind—and kids like Bo Nix and others aren't transferring to Oregon if that program wasn't on the brink of greatness when Cristobal bailed out; 35-12 over his four years, two Pac-12 titles, Rose Bowl win, road upset of #3 Ohio State in 2021, loaded roster, recruiting humming—it's a transfer portal destination because of what he built, not because of an unknown defensive coordinator / first time head coach taking over in 2022.

The Trenches:

How'd I do?
Geee wiz ,

You came out of the tunnel primed ready to go nice , we got a lot of super smart people here that post some good stuff me I'm just lucky to be here .

The management that run this joint are very good people top flight slow to anger they let you play ,Maudes have helped me many times.

Just don’t TROLL please , I quote Buford T Justice: you can think about it but oh just DON’T DO IT @RVACane

WELCOME

GOCANES

Advertisement
Mario is Mario. He ain’t changing his plan for anyone. That’s obvious. You can build the greatest line in history but without a great leader QB with skills behind them Miami will never even win the ACC.

what did TVD gain by leaving and why? he surely would have been QB1 going in to next season. Was he afraid of competition from the portal? Our offense this year was pathetic. I think TVD told the program , coaches and fans f€ck you.

Advertisement
Next year will tell me all I need to know about Mario. I don't care who he gets at QB need 10 or 11 wins minimum in the reg season with that trash schedule.
We have been saying this annually since 2005.

I’m paraphrasing here but Mario’s hire reminded me of last of the mohecians:

The Cuban man came and night entered our future with him. Our council has asked the question since I was a boy: What are the Canes to do?

Beyond that, his detractors refuse to admit that Dan Lanning walked into a goldmine based on what Mario left behind—and kids like Bo Nix and others aren't transferring to Oregon if that program wasn't on the brink of greatness when Cristobal bailed out; 35-12 over his four years, two Pac-12 titles, Rose Bowl win, road upset of #3 Ohio State in 2021, loaded roster, recruiting humming—it's a transfer portal destination because of what he built, not because of an unknown defensive coordinator / first time head coach taking over in 2022.
7ecb1f75-cad4-42d3-99f6-2b91d4750dfd_text.gif

Next year will tell me all I need to know about Mario. I don't care who he gets at QB need 10 wins minimum in the reg season with that trash schedule.
This.

I'd be okay with 9 wins so long as we don't look lost offensively for most of the season.

You ignore a ton of data provided by solid posters here...

Advertisement
Back