First Half Offense

Richt would try to run the ball into a brick wall to try and establish the ground game. He did the same thing at UGA.

His game plan is to keep the ball on the ground and out of the QB's hands and let the defense take over the game. When the defense doesn't dominate we fall behind and he's forced to open up the offense and start throwing the ball (FSU game). The offense looks much more comfortable to me when the handcuffs are off. I don't know why we don't open games up more aggressively. I thought we were in the UNC game, but he fell back to being conservative and letting the D take over. Fortunately they did.

Advertisement
Richt would try to run the ball into a brick wall to try and establish the ground game. He did the same thing at UGA.

His game plan is to keep the ball on the ground and out of the QB's hands and let the defense take over the game. When the defense doesn't dominate we fall behind and he's forced to open up the offense and start throwing the ball (FSU game). The offense looks much more comfortable to me when the handcuffs are off. I don't know why we don't open games up more aggressively. I thought we were in the UNC game, but he fell back to being conservative and letting the D take over. Fortunately they did.

in that fsu game, the defense got the offense back into it with 20 yard fields off turnovers. we dont win that game and isnt even close (w perry or rosier) if the d doesn't bail us out. the unc game was an outlier bc the D scored 3 TDs and the run game was dominant that night. in the third quarter, when we tried running real offense, perry turned it over twice.

Going back to the GT game last year. We have had 16 first drives in games.

1 TD
1 FG
8 punts
3 TO Downs
2 Fumbles
1 INT

:pgdead::pgdead:

You can often tell how good an OC is by game planning for opposing defenses. Needless to say ours isn't up to par.

Fk me that is some really depressing statistical analysis right there. I bett he TD was against some scrub *** D2 team too.

FVCKMYLIFE!!!!!!! Time for my afternoon beer.:king-pour:

Last edited:
So what is the national average for scoring on the first drive of a game? Per Diego, we have scored twice the last 16 games, which is 12.5%. Need a standard to compare.

Edit: To try and answer my own question. I checked 10 Noon start games and of the 20 first drives ,6 resulted in scores, 30%. Small sample size but it gives you something to go by.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Reason first half offense is hard to talk about is because there has not been enough first half offense to talk about

Advertisement
Back