First good game of the year

Advertisement
2 quick point regarding the offense.

They ran a ton of those “swing” type passes at or behind the line of scrimmage. Those passes are really tough for guys like Brown that don’t quite have that accuracy and touch. Like @DMoney said, those plays really rely on getting the receiver the ball with momentum so they don’t have to stop and adjust. I think it might be easier if they can get Brown a few more throws down field where he doesn’t need perfect touch. I don’t mean deep throws, just some more intermediate stuff. He had a couple of nice throws to Ladson on a slant and a mid range crosser that were on the money.

One particular play that stood out to me happened right after the long Brown run in the fourth quarter. The long run was great but they immediately hustled to the line with their regular 11 personnel but they had their field side receiver split super wide with the slot receiver set quite wide too. They proceeded to just run a simple inside zone run that gained like 9 yards. If they can continue to get teams out of position by going fast and then spreading the defense out, it’s going to really open up the running game between the tackles.

Advertisement

They ran a ton of those “swing” type passes at or behind the line of scrimmage. Those passes are really tough for guys like Brown that don’t quite have that accuracy and touch. Like @DMoney said, those plays really rely on getting the receiver the ball with momentum so they don’t have to stop and adjust. I think it might be easier if they can get Brown a few more throws down field where he doesn’t need perfect touch. I don’t mean deep throws, just some more intermediate stuff. He had a couple of nice throws to Ladson on a slant and a mid range crosser that were on the money.

One particular play that stood out to me happened right after the long Brown run in the fourth quarter. The long run was great but they immediately hustled to the line with their regular 11 personnel but they had their field side receiver split super wide with the slot receiver set quite wide too. They proceeded to just run a simple inside zone run that gained like 9 yards. If they can continue to get teams out of position by going fast and then spreading the defense out, it’s going to really open up the running game between the tackles.
Half of the posters on this board have been calling for this since game 1. Not sure why it's so hard to figure out that if you spread things out it's easier for the QB to operate.

Half of the posters on this board have been calling for this since game 1. Not sure why it's so hard to figure out that if you spread things out it's easier for the QB to operate.
Especially with a running quarterback. If you spread the defense out, you can gain a numbers advantage pretty easily. You’re forcing the defense to defend 8 offensive players (5 linemen, 1 TE, 1RB and 1 QB) with only 7 defensive players. If the defense really wants to devote an extra DB to playing the run, you’re going to have a ton of 1 on 1 coverage on the outside with no safety help. Playing in a phone booth is probably the least effective way to gain yards and score points.

Especially with a running quarterback. If you spread the defense out, you can gain a numbers advantage pretty easily. You’re forcing the defense to defend 8 offensive players (5 linemen, 1 TE, 1RB and 1 QB) with only 7 defensive players. If the defense really wants to devote an extra DB to playing the run, you’re going to have a ton of 1 on 1 coverage on the outside with no safety help. Playing in a phone booth is probably the least effective way to gain yards and score points.
You've got teams like Ohio State, USC, etc. who make offense look so easy I just don't understand why some coaches need to make this so difficult. Open things up and put players in position to succeed. Why is it so hard? Make it make sense.

Advertisement
It wasn’t ‘01 Washington, but this was the first time all year Miami executed its game plan for four quarters. The smiles on the sidelines said it all. This team needed that performance.

- It would be foolish to judge Jacurri Brown after one start. His story has yet to be written. But there are certain physical things that we can see right away. The main thing is that he looks big and strong at the ACC level. He shrugged off defenders and always fell forward. When you have a physical runner at QB, it allows you to spread teams out and punish them between the tackles. It’s the Tebow/Jalen Hurts formula. Brown missed some easy throws, but he also creates a lot of easy throws with his running threat. The team ran for 217 yards, its highest total in two seasons. And that was with only two scholarship RBs. Jacurri did an excellent job of managing the game and keeping the ball out of harm’s way against a GT team that ranked Top 5 nationally in takeaways. He also made good decisions in scramble situations.

- One area where Jacurri can improve is his ball placement on horizontal throws. He was imprecise on a few, which forced the runner to lose momentum or miss the ball entirely. When Jacurri gets more consistent there, he can really stress the defense. The ball gets there fast. Overall, his passing growth will determine his ceiling. As we’ve seen with guys like Jordan Travis--- and in the pros with Lamar Jackson, Jalen Hurts and Josh Allen--talented athletes with twitchy arms can develop as passers. Jacurri's first TD was schemed wide open, but it was still an impressive flick with a defender right in his face.

- Kam Kinchens is an All-Conference talent. He is our best tackling safety since Jaquan Johnson and has been an INT machine since high school. He got burned on some bad guesses this year, but older fans will remember that even Ed Reed made similar mistakes at the same age. Kinchens is a film junkie and will only get better if he stays healthy.

- As we discussed on the Podcast, this was a huge game for Jaylan Knighton and he delivered. His style fits in the gun next to a running QB like Jacurri.

- It was hard to miss all of the Class of ’22 guys making plays. We already discussed Jacurri. Anez Cooper was tossing defenders. Wesley Bissainthe is a knockback tackler and should never leave the starting lineup. Jaleel Skinner caught his first touchdown. The guys that Mario brought in last year generally seem longer and more athletic. One guy who had an uneven performance was Nyjalik Kelly. He just turned 18 last week, so some growing pains are normal.

- Tyrique Stevenson is the best draft-eligible NFL prospect on the team. Physical, instinctive, big and fast. He profiles best inside at the next level in the role he played at Georgia.

- Mitchell Agude is starting to come on the past few games. He was everywhere today. Antonio Moultrie was active and made up for the absence of Elijah Roberts, Jake Lichtenstein and Jared Harrison-Hunte.

- This offense is still boring but will give Miami a chance to get bowl-eligible by slowing down games and controlling the ball.

Bottom line, it feels good to watch a win. Next week will be interesting given the no-show against FSU. How do they respond against an even better team?
Thanks for the awesome writeup D.

I actually think Mallory is the best pro prospect. He's really starting to put his game together. He will be very good in the NFL.

I think the type of offense we showed yesterday isn't sustainable without getting Jacurri hurt. With the right system and proper training with his passing he could be special.

Could Hedley be our best punter since Bosher? He's averaging 44.9 which is NFL level.

Today was something to certainly build on. With that said:

1) it was GT...a team where the forward pass wasn't a concept in their playbook a few years ago

2) Thread 'Perspective on Rock Bottom and We Byke' https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/perspective-on-rock-bottom-and-we-byke.181445/
Agreed.... I'm always happy for a win... it's good to get some good feelings going around....
But it is GT and they are terrible so I don't wanna go overboard about things....
Next week against Clemson will be a really tough game.... Believe me I would love nothing more than to see us play as well next week as we did today but Clemson is on another level compared to GT.....

It will be tougher to run against a faster D like Clemson.... Not saying the Canes can't do it but they'll have to incorporate various wrinkles to be effective which I'm not sold Mario and Gattis are capable of... but hopefully they figure it out.... As I said in another post I'm happy for the team to get the W...But as we know a lot more work is needed to go next level..

Advertisement
Nope. He wasn’t coming here if Manny was here. This was discussed at the time we got him. He even said it was Mario.
Correct... remember he committed like a day or two before Manny was let go officially.... Wasn't really a big secret that "Info" was relayed to him that Manny was a goner...

Call me crazy but Clemson isn't executing nearly as well on offense as FSU right now
You're right but watch DJ kill it with his running the ball. Better play a spy. Clemson uses their TE's really well also. And they run the ball hard like FSU.

Advertisement
1BB14622-A536-4645-8FE5-FE33B67B9ED5.jpeg

I LOVE that we won but temper expectations. GT is absolutely terrible. Defense did look solid but GT was not throwing the ball a lot. Did they try a counter? JB gives us another wrinkle for sure but Clemdump is not going to be so forgiving up front. Ease up, your just grinding metal.

Think Brown fits what Gattis is trying to do, which isn’t a good thing. Kid looks athletic af but he has miles to go before he is even adequate at passing. Great to win at least one more game, but GT sucks.

Advertisement
Back