First depth chart out

Do these depth charts really serve as motivation if everyone knows what he is trying to do.

Tyrone Cornelius over Perryman? Yeah, ok

TC is very athletically gifted. Fast as he'll and should be bulked up. Wouldn't surprise me to see him okay a lot this year. His only problem was his size. Dude slimmed down to play safety while Randall was here.

Where is David Perry?

Advertisement
It's all based on how the kids performed in the weight room. And yes, subtle motivation for some of our high profile guys. What's wrong with that?

And though some people seem to mock the notion - I'm a firm believer that we're going to see a whole lot of 3-4 looks. We're going to have to do something to hide / work around our lack of quality DL depth. I'm sure Al and MDO are keenly aware of this.

Wasn't Spencer Whipple listed as the #1 QB on the first depth chart that Golden put out last year? Come on people. This depth chart isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Advertisement
It's more than just a motivational tool, it also tells the guys who are working hard that the coaches noticed. How many guys said that they felt under shannon, that if you weren't a starter, it was hard to get noticed? It's a good way to keep your whole team together and not to loss the focus of guys who might not see the field this year. It tells the returning starters and anybody else who is listed as a backup, that you got outworked. Someone else wants it more than you do. If you have guys with the character of Ray Lewis or Ed Reed on your team, they get ****ed off that someone is ahead of them and they pick it up. It's not a mind game or pointless if you really are putting out the order based on who worked hardest. Yes, what they do on the field matters more than the weight room, but in case anyone noticed the last couple years, the weight room and offseason program is vital to your success or failure on the field.

While I don't put much stock in this depth chart, it does give everyone a chance to see who's working hard and who's slacking. It's also interesting to compare this depth chart to the performances on the field during the season. If guys who are low on this chart get pushed around come fall or have a hard time staying strong in the fourth quarter, we know exactly why.

Do these depth charts really serve as motivation if everyone knows what he is trying to do.

Still, I would like to see "the best players" dominate from start to finish and everyday in between. Take 3G for example. It's a CANE thing!

A Great Hurricane screamed to his team: "I put my heart in this **** dog!"

These "5-stars" ain't on this level. Until they get there, we can expect much of the same.

If MIAMI is going to win a championship, the best players will have to be the hardest workers.

Advertisement
Williams and Hoilett have yet to play a snap how do they suk lol. Talk about overeacting.
We better go to a 3-4. Williams, Hoilett and Green just flat out suck.

We need to play a three-four alignment and use some of our small defensive tackles as 34 defensive ends. I really believe Golden is going this way. He has his nose in Darius Smith, ran a 34 at Temple, etc.

We better go to a 3-4. Williams, Hoilett and Green just flat out suck.

We need to play a three-four alignment and use some of our small defensive tackles as 34 defensive ends. I really believe Golden is going this way. He has his nose in Darius Smith, ran a 34 at Temple, etc.

Lulz go to a 3-4 when we don't have the players for that scheme? Come on now.

Plus I think Green can ball up. He was physically a beast, I think he can have an m-rob type of effect if he's quick enough, but don't see him as an every-down type guy.

My boy Hope will surprise a lot of you guys. His high school coach said some pretty good things about him.

Still, I would like to see "the best players" dominate from start to finish and everyday in between. Take 3G for example. It's a CANE thing!

These "5-stars" ain't on this level. Until they get there, we can expect much of the same.

If MIAMI is going to win a championship, the best players will have to be the hardest workers.

Well, hopefully Johnson, Howard, Lewis, McCord, Lockhart, Jean-Louis will be the start of that. I don't by that Perryman isn't working hard enough to be a pre-Spring 1st teamer. I like to believe these aren't easy decisions for the staff. Jimmy Gaines seems to be working hard if he's beating out Paul who I heard is a gym rat.

Whatever. I'm excited to see the Spring Game, I expect to see improved play from a bunch of key guys, Gaines, Armstrong, Finnie just a few examples.

Advertisement
It's more than just a motivational tool, it also tells the guys who are working hard that the coaches noticed. How many guys said that they felt under shannon, that if you weren't a starter, it was hard to get noticed? It's a good way to keep your whole team together and not to loss the focus of guys who might not see the field this year. It tells the returning starters and anybody else who is listed as a backup, that you got outworked. Someone else wants it more than you do. If you have guys with the character of Ray Lewis or Ed Reed on your team, they get ****ed off that someone is ahead of them and they pick it up. It's not a mind game or pointless if you really are putting out the order based on who worked hardest. Yes, what they do on the field matters more than the weight room, but in case anyone noticed the last couple years, the weight room and offseason program is vital to your success or failure on the field.

While I don't put much stock in this depth chart, it does give everyone a chance to see who's working hard and who's slacking. It's also interesting to compare this depth chart to the performances on the field during the season. If guys who are low on this chart get pushed around come fall or have a hard time staying strong in the fourth quarter, we know exactly why.

This^^^

Lamar Miller wasn't on top of the depth chart last year at this point either.

Well, hopefully Johnson, Howard, Lewis, McCord, Lockhart, Jean-Louis will be the start of that. I don't by that Perryman isn't working hard enough to be a pre-Spring 1st teamer. I like to believe these aren't easy decisions for the staff. Jimmy Gaines seems to be working hard if he's beating out Paul who I heard is a gym rat.

Whatever. I'm excited to see the Spring Game, I expect to see improved play from a bunch of key guys, Gaines, Armstrong, Finnie just a few examples.

If we're to take Al Golden's word then "the hardest workers will start. . . . and it all begins in the weight room." Unless there's an injury, which is most likely to be undisclosed, (and from what I've read Paul is injured) then the "best" players have no excuse. Who ever heard of anyone outworking Ed Reed for his spot in the spring? Sean Taylor couldn't do it. Andre Johnson couldn't outwork Reggie Wayne for his spot.

All I'm saying is we're a long way from championship contention, and if we're expecting freshmen to be that guy, we have a much longer wait.

don't look much into this. but you can tell golden is playing his little mind games with henderson, perryman, and vt.

also this isn't including all of the other talented freshman we got coming in after the spring

cant wait!

Agreed but how about McGee??

My biggest issue is that Golden feels the need to do something like this to motivate these guys. That doesn't bode well for us. Perryman is our best linebacker (with Buchanan out at least), VT our best safety and McGee our best corner (not saying much, I know). These dudes shouldn't need motivation. The fact that Golden clearly thinks they do scares the **** outta me.

Advertisement
I don't know if the motivation stuff works, but AG is definitely trying.

This absolutely works. At no time, in any sport that I played did I ever want to see someone else's name in front of mine. Not on a depth chart, not in a line-up, not in film grades. If someone was ahead of me it meant I could do better. If you are an athlete/competitor in it doesn't bother you to be listed second, I don't want you on my team.

+1

McGee for me is th biggest question mark. He is suppossed to be everything you want in a CB, big, fast, good hips, but he was downright awful last year. I'm really hoping he has a Marcus Maxey type senior season, because we are not going to go far if the CB play doesn't improve this year.

Advertisement
Back