Fireside Chat with your Dear Legend

I'm talking about Pickett this year, not last year. And he did a pretty good job beating us in 2017 as a freshmans playing his first game.

You can be a wise guy, but if you watch and follow college football, you would know that Pickett was having an excellent year and is infinitely better than Yellen is right now. So, yeah, we were absolutely lucky he didn't play. I don't get why that's such a hard concept for you guys to swallow. He is their leader and is a very good college QB with a ton of experience unlike Yellen. He would have picked up a lot of yards with his feet that Yellen left out there and extended drives. He's also a much better passer right now.

You’re making assumptions instead of relying on real life results. Thats up to you. I’ll let this go with this question.

If the situation was the reversed and King was out would you have assumed he’d have had a great game against Pitt? Or would you have assumed Pitt’s D was going to give him a tough day
and he’d struggle.

Advertisement
Disagree with you defensively on this one my brotha. While offensively we were dog **** we got after that Pitt line. We sacked them 3 times and got TFLs. Jaelen was credited with a sack as well. Jaelen is a 2 way guy and is usually the first guy there. It’s just hard to notice because Roche and JHH aren’t too far behind and clean it up or the ball is out for an incomplete pass. Nesta is becoming more disruptive and I felt our LB play improved tremendously as well which PS is still not much but that’s because Flagg/Brooks are young. Our CB room is our cb room, Al blades or nothing. Can’t change that this year but I loved the reps that Te’Cory got and thought he was better than Ivey. It doesn’t feel that way because the offense stunk so much that at one point in the 4th they practically doubled our possession time.

I don’t know how you feel offensively but Nelson mauled Jones/Weaver. The only time they were in action when they were his assignment was either the pocket collapsed because of Campbell or the play imploded. They literally moved Jones to the other side and started moving around Weaver to get pressure. He needs to be the LT and we should be starting Keyshawn Smith and Mike Redding. Smith and Redding are always open. I don’t care if they are freshmen Redding and Smith need to start on the outside.
Sorry but Ivey has been ballin after his game 1 embarrassment. CB's have been good, Blades, Ivey, and Couch!

If Miami is average and UNC is average, who is above-average?

Everybody knows about the Clemson, Alabama and Georgia tier. Who currently belongs in the next tier?

Thats the thing about the “offense with a pulse” and the “real head coach” crowd.

You ask them for examples of who’s stopping solid offenses or a recent hire who’s tearing it up and you get crickets.

10 pts came off picks tan back within 10 yard line. I dont like our bend but don't break secondary sometimes, but that was the best run D we've had all year.

We didn't play great, but we played well enough to be a top 3 acc team (average).

Less not forger we were 6-7 last year. Everyone always things we are some god squad or some ****. Give me a 9-2 season and I'll be happy.

I really want to beat VT and UNC though.

Im sure it was mentioned at some point in this thread, but the LB play is just putrid at this point. We might as well let Brooks, Flagg, and whoever else start getting some experience in hopes they can put it together.

A couple times on replays they show the snap and McCloud and Jennings dont even move when the ball is snapped. They stand there like statues and wait 1-2 seconds before making a decision. I get when they are in zone and covering an area the guy might not come right to them but they should know their keys and reads pre-snap and get in a position to make a play instead of standing there and hoping it comes to them.

I agree in that we are probably a slightly above average team who has beaten two pretty bad teams in UL and fspoo and gotten pretty lucky for Pitt QB to be out. And those drops by the Pitt WR's were lucky as well. Im not sure we win that game if Pickett was playing, and definitely think its a nail biter if they dont drop all those passes

Advertisement
I agree in that we are probably a slightly above average team who has beaten two pretty bad teams in UL and fspoo and gotten pretty lucky for Pitt QB to be out. And those drops by the Pitt WR's were lucky as well. Im not sure we win that game if Pickett was playing, and definitely think its a nail biter if they dont drop all those passes
As has been stated already, they led the country in drops last year. Not sure how it’s luck in that case. That’s what they do, they drop passes.

Hate to break this to y'all and I know this is a big talking point for most, but defense was NOT the problem!

Players that's ballin on D:
Phillips
Roche
Nesta
JHH
Harvey
Williams
Brooks
Flagg
Gil
Keontra
Couch
Ivey
Blades
Bolden
Hall

That's a LOT. Just my opinion

Sorry but Ivey has been ballin after his game 1 embarrassment. CB's have been good, Blades, Ivey, and Couch!
That’s what you call the Louisville and Clemson game? “Balling”? Get your fanboy *** of my board.

Saturday was a return to normalcy, we are once again a feast or famine offense entirely dependent on the big play. If not for Pitt biting hard af every time King put his head down we'd have been fighting for our lives against second string QB'd Pitt.

You may leave Mark Richt and Dan Enos, but Mark Richt and Dan Enos never leave you.

Advertisement
That’s what you call the Louisville and Clemson game? “Balling”? Get your fanboy *** of my board.
What happened to him those games? Now you just making up sh*t just because he's on your bad side! If you can't see that Ivey has improved dramatically since game 1, you either don't know football or you don't actually watch the games. GTFOH

Now that we've all watched several games of D'Eriq, he has limitations:

1. He's not particularly accurate.
2. He's short, leading to batted down balls and a difficulty (I presume) throwing to the middle of the field.

The WRs are not helping either.

Part of the problem I've seen the last couple games (even though Clemson is an anomaly) is that Miami has struggled to get positive yards on 1st and 2nd down. IMO, there were very few -1,0,1 yard plays on 1st and 2nd down the first 3 games of the season. Between incompletions and a bottled up running game, we have not been in 3rd and 4-6 much the last 2 where a guy like D'Eriq can feast with his ability to run (and it also opens up the playbook for Lashlee).

O is feast or famine due to inadequate / inconsistent Oline play. Until that becomes an above average strength, O will struggle. However, I am more hopeful in the growth of the Oline then I have been in 9-10 years due to the instruction they are now receiving, there's also talent there. Fingers crossed.

Saturday was a return to normalcy, we are once again a feast or famine offense entirely dependent on the big play. If not for Pitt biting hard af every time King put his head down we'd have been fighting for our lives against second string QB'd Pitt.

You may leave Mark Richt and Dan Enos, but Mark Richt and Dan Enos never leave you.
This program has always thrived off of big plays. Always. Championship years or 6 win years. Enos or Richt wouldn’t have schemed those touchdowns open. People say we were lucky for Pitt’s busted coverages. The busted coverages were because of play design. Lashlee did his job and although he **** himself against Clemson we are still very fortunate to have him and this offense should continue to develop and be tweaked over the season, especially with our wideout situation.

Advertisement
For all of the talk of Pitts' defense, namely their defensive line...I thought Miami's DL was better and was the most impressive position group in the game between both teams.

Roche is about as rock solid a complete DE as we've had recently. Good pass rusher, very strong against the run, anchors well and I thought all of that was on display in this game.

I really like Jaelen Phillips. He had a good game. I love his motor and his get off...but I'd like to see him get more disruptive and productive. I think it'd be a mistake if he left early. Leaving money on the table.

Jahfari Harvey as a third end in the rotation has been about as solid as you could ask for. He makes the most out of most of his snaps.

I don't think I'd say our defensive interior is disruptive consistently...but its rock solid. Silvera and Harrison-Hunte stand out...I'd warn the GenPop not to overrate Harrison-Hunte too early, but he's looked really really good on his splash plays.

Last edited:
What happened to him those games? Now you just making up sh*t just because he's on your bad side! If you can't see that Ivey has improved dramatically since game 1, you either don't know football or you don't actually watch the games. GTFOH
Apparently you missed him having the ability to simply push a runner out of bounds.

Great Effing post by the Legend and an outstandingly accurate take on where this Canes team is right now.

As someone posted on the WEZ, we couldn’t beat Clemson, but we could beat any of these other teams. Or they could beat us and we could go winless.

This is still a NY6 Bowl team that will get smoked in its Bowl Game if we were to play Georgia or the Gatah In the Orange Bowl RIGHT NOW.

At the end of the year, we might be a better team and we might be competitive in our Bowl game when it counts to show off in front of the recruits. And we desperately need to win that bowl game. We’ve been the Badgers’ bi*ch for too long

Right now, we’re middle of the pack That’s all we are, until this team shows us different.

Advertisement
nah u trippin i ben good when we win, this is the first game im like yea we won but we didnt feel like we won. Yall just read what u want

This doesn't make any sense. We dominated Pitt. They couldn't score, 10 of their points came off interceptions that were returned inside the 10 yard line. Our defense held them to 22 yards rushing. Like what the **** do y'all want man?

Pitt has a top 10 defense and we put up 31 points looking unpolished as ****.

Y'all getting annoying now

This doesn't make any sense. We dominated Pitt. They couldn't score, 10 of their points came off interceptions that were returned to redzone. Our defense held them to 22 yards rushing. Like what the **** do y'all want man?

Pitt has a top 10 defense.
who has pitt played though that matters

Advertisement
Back