Fireside Chat with your Dear Legend

Watching this 2020 UM team has me caught between "we're better than last year" and "we were so horrible last year that we can be better and still not be all that good." I watch about 10 full college games every weekend, and we are pretty average right now. We're ranked 11th, but if we played a weak SEC team like USC, I could see the game going either way.

Yesterday, we played a Pitt team without its best player and the heartbeat of its team, and it was another typical desultory ACC slap fight. Without Pickett, Pitt is total trash. Yet, they hung around the whole game, and their pop gun backup QB was making plays that he probably won't make against most of the other teams they play.

I make it a point to watch every ACC game, and, with the obvious exception of the super power Clemson and horrible Syracuse, all the rest of the teams are pretty interchangeable. GT lost by 300 to Clemson, who was clearly getting revenge for the 220 GT hung on Cumberland College, but that GT team could very easily beat us or any of the rest of the ACC.

Pros:

Our DTs got some push. Jade continues to be disruptive, and JHH is a future star.

Harvey stood out to me. He was active.

The freshman DB, Dunson, might have made the play of the game on the fake punt. He played that thing perfectly and snuffed out a potential game-changing moment.

Mallory stepped up. Still think he should be on the field a lot more and be a focus of the passing offense along with Jordan, Key Smith, and the RBs.

Don Jr. looked tough and fast before he got hurt. He's had shoulder issues, so I'm hoping he's not out for an extended time.

Restrepo at least looks confident and competent catching punts unlike Pope.

Cons:

Pretty much everything else. LOL.

King is either in a slump, or he's pretty much what I thought he was as a streaky passer. I thought he'd be a more dynamic runner though. Most of his best runs are off scrambles where he makes a couple great spin moves in the open field, but he's been completely ineffective in the read-option game. Seems slow in his get off and doesn't make great decisions in the read game.

John Campbell got disemboweled. By the end of the game, Patrick Jones was rendered less effective slogging through Campbell's entrails.

Wiggins and Pope continue to be weak. They're rapidly morphing into Khalil Jones and D'Mauri Jones without the artistic skills.

Our offense is slumping. We're all out of whack now that we're playing some competent defenses. We look disjointed and are very easy to defend. Teams are ganging up on the run game, which seems super basic, and forcing King and our WRs to beat them. And King and the WRs are failing pretty hard. Nice job by Lashlee sneaking Cam and Will out on those fake QB draws. Other than a couple big plays, we were pretty awful and couldn't sustain anything.

Defensively, we're just too easy to throw on. Guys are open all over the place. Old Yellen missed some wide open guys and they had some horrific drops when he did hit them. They bailed us out more than we stopped them.

Phillips has been nowhere near the pass rusher I thought he'd be. In fact, our overall pass rush is pretty weak.
Agree with all Franchise. We got the W on Sat., but it felt more like Pitt beat itself with missed open receivers and penalties than it felt like we beat them. Not a mope, just being realistic. We may have lost that game had Pickett played. We are still a touch above average with hopes to get better with a few changes at LB and WR.

Advertisement
I'll say this much, with the exception of a brief 2 minute stint against Louisville we haven't trailed anybody but Clemson this year at any point in time. Beating Pittsburgh after getting our **** kicked in a week ago I think proves better locker room leadership and a stronger mental makeup of the overall team. Everything we have on O is still new. New Qb and OC. I think its not unreasonable to expect improvement each week.

I feel like we got a little better this week. But that could just be me still high from winning a game I was concerned about(and seeing Tua finally).

UAB scored first, so that's about another minute lol

Watching this 2020 UM team has me caught between "we're better than last year" and "we were so horrible last year that we can be better and still not be all that good." I watch about 10 full college games every weekend, and we are pretty average right now. We're ranked 11th, but if we played a weak SEC team like USC, I could see the game going either way.

Yesterday, we played a Pitt team without its best player and the heartbeat of its team, and it was another typical desultory ACC slap fight. Without Pickett, Pitt is total trash. Yet, they hung around the whole game, and their pop gun backup QB was making plays that he probably won't make against most of the other teams they play.

I make it a point to watch every ACC game, and, with the obvious exception of the super power Clemson and horrible Syracuse, all the rest of the teams are pretty interchangeable. GT lost by 300 to Clemson, who was clearly getting revenge for the 220 GT hung on Cumberland College, but that GT team could very easily beat us or any of the rest of the ACC.

Pros:

Our DTs got some push. Jade continues to be disruptive, and JHH is a future star.

The freshman DB, Dunson, might have made the play of the game on the fake punt. He played that thing perfectly and snuffed out a potential game-changing moment.

Mallory stepped up. Still think he should be on the field a lot more and be a focus of the passing offense along with Jordan, Key Smith, and the RBs.

Don Jr. looked tough and fast before he got hurt. He's had shoulder issues, so I'm hoping he's not out for an extended time.

Cons:

King is either in a slump, or he's pretty much what I thought he was as a streaky passer. I thought he'd be a more dynamic runner though. Most of his best runs are off scrambles where he makes a couple great spin moves in the open field, but he's been completely ineffective in the read-option game. Seems slow in his get off and doesn't make great decisions in the read game.

John Campbell got disemboweled. By the end of the game, Patrick Jones was rendered less effective slogging through Campbell's entrails.

Wiggins and Pope continue to be weak. They're rapidly morphing into Khalil Jones and D'Mauri Jones without the artistic skills.

Our offense is slumping. We're all out of whack now that we're playing some competent defenses. We look disjointed and are very easy to defend. Teams are ganging up on the run game, which seems super basic, and forcing King and our WRs to beat them. And King and the WRs are failing pretty hard. Nice job by Lashlee sneaking Cam and Will out on those fake QB draws. Other than a couple big plays, we were pretty awful and couldn't sustain anything.

Defensively, we're just too easy to throw on. Guys are open all over the place. Old Yellen missed some wide open guys and they had some horrific drops when he did hit them. They bailed us out more than we stopped them.

Phillips has been nowhere near the pass rusher I thought he'd be. In fact, our overall pass rush is pretty weak.
The offense spent so much time on tempo they forgot about polish. This isn't the AAC. As bad as the ACC is, teams like Clemson and Pitt dump a ton of QC and Analyst types on breaking down your tendencies and Rhett's are fairly glaring. Obviously using a new concept worked well for him (the TE and RB off the draw) but the typical chit they do has been swarmed to.

King is terrible in the read option game. Dudes are square and frozen and he still tries to keep.

Also it's Yellen Keller.

Great write up, as you've said we could win the remainder of our games but we could very easily go 3-3 or 2-4 the rest of the way. We definitely lose that game on Saturday if Pickett plays. I just can't understand how guys were consistently wide open against our defense.

King is a RB playing QB, he has almost zero arm talent, he's lucky to complete 50% of his passes.

Which teams are you watching? I see Alabama, Clemson and then a litany of deeply flawed teams. Georgia is the third-best team and they have a walk-on at QB. Notre Dame just struggled to put up 12 against Louisville. North Carolina just lost to FSU. If we're average, who is above average?

The key to this season will be beating the bad teams consistently. So far, so good with a lot of season to go.

I'm still not surprised at LSU giving up 600 yards twice this season. Their defense was not championship level last year.

Advertisement

Pros:

Cons:

Not disagreeing with you. Your facts are correct. We may draw slightly different conclusions at times, but I try not to get too high or too low on my Canes.

With Covid, King missed a ton of time to build his timing with WRs on the long ball. Not sure if they can do some extra-curricular practicing on that issue (given Covid), but we need to do something. What concerns me with King is the RPO decision-making, it seems like (over the last few games) King has made many decisions to hand-off-or-keep that were incorrect. Some of it is Lashlee, but it also looks like King may be suffering from a lack of confidence in himself or his OL that is ******** with his decisions.

Speaking of Lashlee, I don't like the oversimplicity of the running game right now. Outside of the brilliant "duck down and pretend that King is running, followed by a throw", which I have loved every time we do it, we keep throwing three different runners into the middle of the line over and over and over again. And maybe Cam and Burns are big enough to hold up under the pounding, but slamming Chaney and Rooster into the middle as battering rams reminds me of the play-calling genius that led to li'l Duke breaking his ankle when he was asked to smash into F$U's massive DL on 4th down back in 2013.

I'm not giving up on 2020 or 2020 players quite yet. Any of them can get better with coaching and the desire to get better. They lost all of spring practice and most of summer practice. I doubt that some of the older guys (like Harley) will ever reach their full potential, so I don't mind giving the younger guys more playing time (though guys like Harley may still contribute, like he did on the TD).

On defense, we are stuck with the players we have. I'd say we need better LB play, but I think we need better LBs.

We aren't a Final Four team this year, but I think we can match up with the teams in the next tier. #5 UNC just got beat by a team we demolished. And Notre Dame almost lost to another team we beat.

I think we go 5-1 or 6-0 the rest of the way, but we have to stay healthy, open up the playbook, and clean up missed blocking assignments and missed connections on long passes. But I agree with you, it won't be easy, we will have a battle in every game, even GaTech and Wake.

You are right about the big picture, though, we need to keep beating the bad ACC teams, clean up in recruiting, and then focus on being more dominant in 2021.

I think you're giving Pickett way too much credit for what hes done this year in comparison to what he did against us the last 2 times against us
In 2018 he had 63% completion rate for 130 yards passing. -34 rushing yards. 3 points
In 2019 he had 56% completion rate for 146 yards and 2 INTs. 22 yards rushing. 12 points.

In both of those years, he had really good game against most of the other teams he faced. Mark Whipple is still his OC.
No. I think I’ve watched every Pitt game this year, and know Pickett was playing great football and is that team’s unquestioned leader and heartbeat. I don’t care what he did last year. He’s infinitely better than Yellen is right now.

1603110785726.png

Advertisement
The offense spent so much time on tempo they forgot about polish. This isn't the AAC. As bad as the ACC is, teams like Clemson and Pitt dump a ton of QC and Analyst types on breaking down your tendencies and Rhett's are fairly glaring. Obviously using a new concept worked well for him (the TE and RB off the draw) but the typical chit they do has been swarmed to.

King is terrible in the read option game. Dudes are square and frozen and he still tries to keep.

Also it's Yellen Keller.It isn't the AAC and it also isn't a normal year.
So the best team in the land and a top ten defense that we eclipsed their previous season high in points given up in regulation. Pitt plays great defense and a style that directly exacerbates our biggest offensive weakness. WRs. No shock that the two most uneven/bad offensive performances came against these two teams. Teams that force the outside WRs to make plays over and over again.

Last edited:
Advertisement
My problem with you is the constant hyperbole. You make it seem like everyone at this blindly following Diaz and praising him week in and week out. Majority of this site, rightfully criticizes Diaz and Co. frequently even after wins. You make it seem like every player is praised blindly. Then you on the other, can't even acknowledge when the team does play well without a backhanded criticism to go with it. ****tt is weak as ****
as long as i tell the truth whats the problem its not like im not a fan......I just see through the bs quickly. But if its an ugly win its ugly even Chise saying it and not just me. I cant sit here and argue with alot of u cause u guys are snowflakes.

@The Franchise, Excellent post! You smashed this one on the head. Yes, our defense looked lost plus our offense was very sporadic and lifeless at times. We wouldn't do well with an offense ala Kentucky. The defensive coaches, to me, arent D1 caliber and it shows.

I watch football games most of the day, also, and we were blessed Pickett wasn't playing, would have been a different game. Too many WRers were open and they left plays on the field.

Our offense is sporadic, but I'm guessin Lashlee needs to recruit his guys. Hoping to finish the season strong and have a solid recruiting class signed. Tough games are still on our schedule so we will see where we stand with our preparation .

Great job, Chise

Pros:

Cons:

Pitt also had quite a bit of dropped passes and silly penalties. Game could have easily gone the other way. You can’t say that here though. Our Defense only allowed 19 against Pitt; therefore, all the other issues are automatically dismissed.

Advertisement

Pros:

Cons:

I agree with it all

as long as i tell the truth whats the problem its not like im not a fan......I just see through the bs quickly. But if its an ugly win its ugly even Chise saying it and not just me. I cant sit here and argue with alot of u cause u guys are snowflakes.
Fam, I am not talking about this game alone. You do the same mopey thing win lose or draw. I am not sure who you're referring to as a snowflake but I know that def not what I am. Its funny though, cuz you do the same as blind moping as the ppl who you claim blindly follow. How are you any different?

Our basic cycle is this:

1) Win enough games in a crappy conference and improve the product incrementally enough to continually sign top 10/15 classes and stack as many chips as possible.

2) Hope that we simply out-talent teams and continue to pick up wins that way, so that #1 can repeat.

3) Hopefully #1 repeats enough for us to eventually have enough talent across the board to overcome the shoddy coaching/scheming/MD's leadership gaps.

Now the issue we face is that if we had competent coaching, our ceiling would be much higher and we could deploy that potential talent to a higher ceiling.

As it stands, we are severely capped and will always come up short against teams with similar talent and will also be in dogfights with teams such as Pitt, Louisville etc.

I was ok with the D from Saturday but in hindsight, that QB should have been buried from the outset and we should have been much tighter. Still sick of seeing long developing blitzes and stiffs playing LB.

It is what it is.

Philips will join the laundry list of Miami de’s that left even though they’re nowhere ready.
Hopfeully he has Chad Thomas level production abilities cuz if he leaves, he will be out the league just as fast as he was at Miami

Advertisement
Back