Fire Coach L

Advertisement
Advertisement
I wouldn't fire L unless we had a successor who could truly make a recruiting difference, e.g., a Rick Pitino (or clone).

I've been saying this(not on here) for the longest. He's a great recruiter but his coaching is terrible and boring.

Advertisement
I would say exactly the opposite. He's an average recruiter (especially at a "difficult to sell" school like UM) and a pretty good x's and o's coach (has gotten us many wins over much more talented teams).
Well since he's been our coach, our recruiting has gotten much better. I don't think Lonnie Walker would have ever gave us a chance if it wasn't for him. I don't ever remember pulling a 5star player before him. Yes we have gotten wins over talented teams but I feel like his coaching doesn't fit the talent we have. We should be waaaay more explosive and fast paced. We're too slow and predictable.

Well since he's been our coach, our recruiting has gotten much better. I don't think Lonnie Walker would have ever gave us a chance if it wasn't for him. I don't ever remember pulling a 5star player before him. Yes we have gotten wins over talented teams but I feel like his coaching doesn't fit the talent we have. We should be waaaay more explosive and fast paced. We're too slow and predictable.

He hasn't been recruiting well since Adidas stopped helping us out.

Advertisement
I have been harder on Coach L than anyone else but I am not at the point of supporting a movement to fire Coach L.
There is a simple fix to this situation. Coach L simply needs to prepare the team, play all 8 guys (9 when Stone is cleared) and win 11 plus conference games this season and make the NIT or NCAA tournament. There are plenty of wins left on the schedule.
Coach L needs to add two bigs to the roster for next season and make a deep run in the NCAA tournament. Next year, Coach L will have 5 seniors and he loves to coach older teams.
If those three things do not happen and after next season, Miami has three straight losing seasons then yes, it would be time to find another head basketball coach.

He is going to get next year with:

Lykes
Beverly
Mcgusty
Sam
Brooks

Wong
Walker
Timberlake
Cross
Miller

gak

There are two scholarships available and they need to be used on two bigs for the 2021-22 season.
Miami will have 5 seniors on the 2020-21 roster which includes Nysier, Rodney and Sam. That leaves Deng Gak as the only big on the roster for the 2021-22 season.
The issue will be Coach L is going to play Rodney and Nysier most of the time because they are seniors so there will not be a lot of playing time available next season. I disagree but this is how Coach L rolls.
Dylan Cardwell and Daniel Batcho still have Miami in their final list and Coach L should close the deal with those two bigs.
Sign and redshirt them, that would give them a full year to practice, get stronger and develop their skill set for the 2021-22 season.
Having 13 players on scholarship along with 2 or 3 walk-ons allows a team to scrimmage in practice even with one or two guys injured.
Scrimmaging in practice is possibly a big reason why Miami executes so poorly at times during the game.

Advertisement
I have been harder on Coach L than anyone else but I am not at the point of supporting a movement to fire Coach L.
There is a simple fix to this situation. Coach L simply needs to prepare the team, play all 8 guys (9 when Stone is cleared) and win 11 plus conference games this season and make the NIT or NCAA tournament. There are plenty of wins left on the schedule.
Coach L needs to add two bigs to the roster for next season and make a deep run in the NCAA tournament. Next year, Coach L will have 5 seniors and he loves to coach older teams.
If those three things do not happen and after next season, Miami has three straight losing seasons then yes, it would be time to find another head basketball coach.

he is burnt out. It’s not hard to see either

Last edited:
There are two scholarships available and they need to be used on two bigs for the 2021-22 season.
Miami will have 5 seniors on the 2020-21 roster which includes Nysier, Rodney and Sam. That leaves Deng Gak as the only big on the roster for the 2021-22 season.
The issue will be Coach L is going to play Rodney and Nysier most of the time because they are seniors so there will not be a lot of playing time available next season. I disagree but this is how Coach L rolls.
Dylan Cardwell and Daniel Batcho still have Miami in their final list and Coach L should close the deal with those two bigs.
Sign and redshirt them, that would give them a full year to practice, get stronger and develop their skill set for the 2021-22 season.
Having 13 players on scholarship along with 2 or 3 walk-ons allows a team to scrimmage in practice even with one or two guys injured.
Scrimmaging in practice is possibly a big reason why Miami executes so poorly at times during the game.

Fatigue was a big factor yesterday, especially down the stretch. Just too many minutes for Lykes, DJ, McGusty and Sam. 3 of the 4 played over 40 minutes. I think we can get to 8 conference wins which should be close enough to get to the NIT. We should be a tournament team next year if Brooks is good. Need improvement from Walker and Wong. I think BH will play more in control his sophomore season. I agree Jim needs to close on 2 bigs. That being said if Jim retires tomorrow then we will be more forward with a younger mid-tier guy who wants to coach in the ACC.

Advertisement
Back