Find the Silver Lining

Advertisement
I thought Jarren Williams lowered the temperature on some of the doubters and critics. He played well though he needs to make quicker decisions, get rid of the ball faster, throw the ball away instead of taking the sack. Thought his throws looked good. Mallory, KJ Ozzy, several others dropped some passes that were catchable.

Advertisement
For the first game of his career and running for his life all night, I was impressed with Jarren. Made some great throws under pressure and he'll learn as he gets more reps.
The D will be OK.
Obviously need a LOT of work on the Oline.

Team got HEART man nothing to be ashamed of..young boys gonna learn from it and get back to work..the hardest game on our schedule and we went toe to toe
I thought so too. Florida is a middle-of-the-pack SEC defense. It was going to be a tough out.

Advertisement
Defense good enough to carry us through most of our Coastal games...

They were good enough last year. The only take away is the punting was not as bad on a punt to punt basis. The offensive line isn't any good. Jarren Williams is better then Roster but doesn't seem special IMO. This team is a max 7-9 win team. 9 If we're lucky. I can't see us winning the coastal with the way UVA will probably look this year. They have a 10 win team rn.

Hopefully Enos realizes that he has to scheme/call plays in a way that helps mitigate our obvious deficiencies on the O-line. He did not do a good job at all of that tonight

Advertisement
They were good enough last year. The only take away is the punting was not as bad on a punt to punt basis. The offensive line isn't any good. Jarren Williams is better then Roster but doesn't seem special IMO. This team is a max 7-9 win team. 9 If we're lucky. I can't see us winning the coastal with the way UVA will probably look this year. They have a 10 win team rn.
Dude he's played in one full game his entire collegiate career. Are you actually proclaiming that already?

For the first game of his career and running for his life all night, I was impressed with Jarren. Made some great throws under pressure and he'll learn as he gets more reps.
The D will be OK.
Obviously need a LOT of work on the Oline.
I saw some people trashing Jarren. Listen, he looked decent and is only going to get better as we go through the ACC and he gets more reps. The false starts we saw tonight? They'll be worked out and almost non-existent by UNC--Bethune at the latest.

Advertisement
This game has very little bearing on our season. The Coastal and stacking blue chips is still the goal for this year.

With all this negativity flying around--typical after a loss--any upside to what we saw?

DJ Dallas is a beast.
Thomas is electric and needs get more shots
Osborne is what we thought he was, very solid.
Jordan is the best TE in CFB
We have a solid front 7 and will be as good as there is in the ACC. Not on level with top SEC however.
Henley is an upgrade at punter but not sure how much.

Plenty of silver lining.

Dan Enos is a competent OC. Not a popular take at the moment but I liked a lot of what I saw. Dude will do well here. Best OC since at least Mark Whipple and possibly longer.

Jarren Williams looks like a gamer. The kid is accurate and showed good pocket presence in the few instances when he had a pocket. Needs to learn to throw the ball away. 6 or 7 of his 10 sacks should have been incomplete passes, but overall he looked really good for a RS Freshman making his first start in that situation.

The D came up big time and time again. They will get better. This is the best team they will face until Clemson in the ACC title game.

The Auzzie punter is serviceable. Could be better but certainly an upgrade over the shanksville duo of last season.

Advertisement
Back