Finally back in my hotel room, some thoughts on the game...

k9cane

Senior
Im still a bit breathless. I mean, what can you say. After all the disappointments of the past decade or so and all the letdowns, etc. this is now some magical stuff going on. 'Magic' Malik Rosier once again in the clutch and Darrell F'n Langham. I dont think much more can really be said to describe this.

Some quick thoughts(and Im sure Im repeating a lot of stuff, here):

- Hated the onside kick to start the 2nd half. Yeah, I get it, you have to steal a possession from GT but the defense had begun to decipher what was going on and had a couple of stops to end the 1st half. I kept thinking back to this during the game as it looked like we might lose in a one possesion game.

- Speaking of the D, after getting killed on the pitch play for about two drives, I thought this unit really played well after that and kept Miami in the game. My hats off

- BTW, Miami outgained Tech by around 200 or so yards, and they basically dominated that 2nd half. But that red-zone offense was terrible today. Gotta find ways to get a push in the running game down there.

- The new Hard Rock Stadium is great, love the renovations. But if you can for an afternoon game, stay in the shade, I must lost 10 pounds of water weight this afternoon. I haven't been like this since the 2000 game vs FSU at the Orange Bowl( but at least water was available this time)

- Feagles, every game he has a shank or two. Hang time is good but he doesn't have a great leg, right now

- Travis Homer(run hitter) if he's not an upgrade over Walton, is every bit his equal. He actually does a better job of getting north-south in his runs and better top end speed.

- Last drive was insane, Ive never seen so many consecutive bubble screens and till they stopped it, Richt kept dialing it up. Hey, if it aint broke, dont fix it.

- once again, can we get more Chris Herndon earlier in games. Seriously, I feel this guy is vastly underused(especially in the first half of games)

- Great to see Jeff Thomas doing some things. Just give this kid some confidence and he'll be fine.

- Wanna thank Peter Ariz for showing me around the UM campus(hadn't bee there in awhile ) and the world-famous Rathskeller. The reason why I bring this up is because anyone who says this campus isn't nice or is in a dangerous area simply doesn't know or has an agenda. And this is something that this staff and admin should stress - come on campus, look around and see for yourself. This must be a great school to go to, they've added a lot to it in recent years.

- Whats Ahmonn Richards status? Is he being rested for the big November run with Vatech and ND? Because while its great to see Langham step-up, you can tell this offense just misses his mere presence out there and the threat he provides.

- Now, onto Cuse(who they shouldn't overlook now) and UNC. But to me, two very winnable games and chance to get healthy b4 a big stretch. This schedule is back loaded with home games. yeah, this could be a special season. HOpe the locals show up, Miami has a great scene at Hard Rock, great tailgates, loud yard when we get into it.

Advertisement
Those little bits on the last drive, Herndon, and Homer are right on point. I don't think I've ever seen a defense look as lethargic and just dog tired as Tech's did on that last drive. They were giving the space for the bubble and just looked completely gassed. How many in a row did we run? Four or five? I mean - thank goodness they were giving it to us, but I don't think I've ever seen that before, in any game (not just a Canes game).

Also - what an atrocious call on that illegal block below the waist - I'm pretty sure that block was legal as it wasn't from the side or the back. I guess there must be some fine print about an outside player cutting a defender from inside - but that's pretty friggin ticky tack. Mullins barely touched the guy.

D really brought it in the second half - which seems to be a very consistent occurrence with Manny's defense. 3 points after the break, after that ugliness in the first half, is **** fine work.

Those little bits on the last drive, Herndon, and Homer are right on point. I don't think I've ever seen a defense look as lethargic and just dog tired as Tech's did on that last drive. They were giving the space for the bubble and just looked completely gassed. How many in a row did we run? Four or five? I mean - thank goodness they were giving it to us, but I don't think I've ever seen that before, in any game (not just a Canes game).

Also - what an atrocious call on that illegal block below the waist - I'm pretty sure that block was legal as it wasn't from the side or the back. I guess there must be some fine print about an outside player cutting a defender from inside - but that's pretty friggin ticky tack. Mullins barely touched the guy.

D really brought it in the second half - which seems to be a very consistent occurrence with Manny's defense. 3 points after the break, after that ugliness in the first half, is **** fine work.

Maryland did that **** to us a couple of years ago against golden. Was nice to do that to someone else.

Maryland did that **** to us a couple of years ago against golden. Was nice to do that to someone else.

Ahhh ****, I had repressed that memory...

LOL, that was actually the first drive of that game and the foreshadowing of that era....

Advertisement
Yeah Herndon is a ******* weapon. Homer, Herndon, Richards, Brax, & Langham. More then enough options. Get them the rock.

We did it to App State last year too.

Nah we saw that for five straight years we were just always on the wrong side of the ball.

Advertisement

Negged just for bringing that up on a night like tonight.

We did it to App State last year too.

True, although tonight I think it stood out because of how tired GT's defense looked...it was like they were each carrying around 50 extra pounds

Agree on Herndon, Homer, et al.

And what was the rationale behind fade to Harley and Thomas? Gotta throw those to Langham, Herndon, and even Cager.

Herndon thing feels eerily similar to Njoku last year. Barely use him first half of the season, then it's like "oh, that kids good let's exploit that mismatch as often as possible...and look, it works!!"

Advertisement
The screens were RPOs every time Malik just read bubble screen correctly almost every time. That 3rd and 11 choice to go run was scary though.

Herndon thing feels eerily similar to Njoku last year. Barely use him first half of the season, then it's like "oh, that kids good let's exploit that mismatch as often as possible...and look, it works!!"

It's kind of baffling considering how many TEs Richt put in the league while at UGA.

Advertisement
It bugs me so much on 3rd n 5 or so and Malik throws a twenty plus yard pass (usually in end zone) to a shorter receiver. Is that seriously the first read/option with that play? I don't think so n I hope not...

You missed the part about us sucking for 3 quarters.
You missed the part about us actually controlling most of game from 2nd quarter on.....

or the part where ya know, football is 4 quarters for a reason and there’s only one final score.....

By the letter of the law it was the correct call. You may block below the waist in these situations only:

- If the ball is within the tackle box you may block below-the-waist in any direction.

- If you are within seven yards of the middle lineman (the center), within five yards of the LOS, block the front of the defender, and are not blocking back towards your end zone.

The part that Mullins violated is the being further than seven yards away from the center. That's it. Everything else was correct. Technically, it's a violation of that rule, but it's never called. The bad part is that he didn't need to do it. Just block like our true freshmen WR's do and stay man-up. It allows you the chance to block more than one guy that way anyway.

That's just simply not something you can call there, but ironically, since we were playing GT, the officials had that rule fresh on their minds all week due to the high number of cut blocks that GT employs. Their likelihood of hurting someone due to their blocking techniques led the officials to throw a flag that is never thrown, against us, because they knew every letter of the rule for this game.

Good stuff. Can’t say enough on how the defense adjusted. The fact that we totally shut down Marshall from doing anything with his legs shouldn’t go unnoticed. When we made him make quick decisions he lost s lot of his effectiveness.

Advertisement
Back