Finally back in my hotel room, some thoughts on the game...

The screens were RPOs every time Malik just read bubble screen correctly almost every time. That 3rd and 11 choice to go run was scary though.

Correct. We had numbers outside the box, so the bubble screen was the proper read.

Advertisement
Also - what an atrocious call on that illegal block below the waist - I'm pretty sure that block was legal as it wasn't from the side or the back. I guess there must be some fine print about an outside player cutting a defender from inside - but that's pretty friggin ticky tack. Mullins barely touched the guy.

By the letter of the law it was the correct call. You may block below the waist in these situations only:

- If the ball is within the tackle box you may block below-the-waist in any direction.

- If you are within seven yards of the middle lineman (the center), within five yards of the LOS, block the front of the defender, and are not blocking back towards your end zone.

The part that Mullins violated is the being further than seven yards away from the center. That's it. Everything else was correct. Technically, it's a violation of that rule, but it's never called. The bad part is that he didn't need to do it. Just block like our true freshmen WR's do and stay man-up. It allows you the chance to block more than one guy that way anyway.

That's just simply not something you can call there, but ironically, since we were playing GT, the officials had that rule fresh on their minds all week due to the high number of cut blocks that GT employs. Their likelihood of hurting someone due to their blocking techniques led the officials to throw a flag that is never thrown, against us, because they knew every letter of the rule for this game.

tbh, watching the replay gif...looks like Mullins slipped when he tried to leave his feet and make the block

Starting WR need to Langham, berrios and JT4 until AR returns. Herndon definitely needs to see more targets and I liked how they ran JT4 on the end around. Mahoney definitely stepped up and had a good game. Pending pickneys injury, I’m all for holding out him , Delaney, AR and Donaldson another 2 weeks. We should be able to get by without them for now. Next week is a big week for dean IMO as this is the type of game/matchup he’s built for.

Advertisement
Haven't watched the game yet because I'm out of town watching daughter play softball. I did record it though. Just looking at stats we made some huge defensive adjustments and shut them down after 1 1/2 qtrs. Props to that and props to the kids being clutch late.

Good post, I had some thoughts on specific things.

- Hated the onside kick to start the 2nd half. Yeah, I get it, you have to steal a possession from GT but the defense had begun to decipher what was going on and had a couple of stops to end the 1st half. I kept thinking back to this during the game as it looked like we might lose in a one possesion game.

I didn't like it either. Especially when the D stopped them on the previous 2 real drives.

- Speaking of the D, after getting killed on the pitch play for about two drives, I thought this unit really played well after that and kept Miami in the game. My hats off

Georgia Tech (GT averages 479 YPG and 36.5 PPG)

Points Allowed: 17 (that onside kick is not on the D)
Yards Allowed: 289
Turnovers Forced: 0
Sacks: 2
Tackles For Loss: 7

This D also held them without points on 6 of the remaining 7 drives. This D has played pretty darn good in ACC play too.

- BTW, Miami outgained Tech by around 200 or so yards, and they basically dominated that 2nd half. But that red-zone offense was terrible today. Gotta find ways to get a push in the running game down there.

Some of those personnel decisions in the red-zone don't make sense either. We have Langham, he plays like he is 6'5 and is very hard to guard one on one. GT doesn't have anyone that can stop him. When we throw 3 fades ((2) to Hartley at 5'9 and (1) to Mullins at 5'10) to the wrong players (players without the size advantage), it is puzzling.

- Travis Homer(run hitter) if he's not an upgrade over Walton, is every bit his equal. He actually does a better job of getting north-south in his runs and better top end speed.

Upgrade or not, he is a great player. He needs the ball. He is fast and runs extremely hard. He deserves MORE carries in the red-zone. This guy needs to be removed from Punt and Kickoff Coverage immediately. We have a RB depth problem, find someone else to replace Homer.

- Last drive was insane, Ive never seen so many consecutive bubble screens and till they stopped it, Richt kept dialing it up. Hey, if it aint broke, dont fix it.

GT can't control our speed and they don't have the personnel to stop it. It wasn't just the last drive where GT played way off the LOS. That play was there throughout the game. Just hit the player in stride and let him make a play.

Quick passes, quick plays.

Cuse won't be able to stop it either.

- once again, can we get more Chris Herndon earlier in games. Seriously, I feel this guy is vastly underused(especially in the first half of games)

He is an NFL talent. He needs the ball more. GT knew we were throwing to him and they played pus$y prevent and didn't really try to stop him. Get him going early.

- Wanna thank Peter Ariz for showing me around the UM campus(hadn't bee there in awhile ) and the world-famous Rathskeller. The reason why I bring this up is because anyone who says this campus isn't nice or is in a dangerous area simply doesn't know or has an agenda. And this is something that this staff and admin should stress - come on campus, look around and see for yourself. This must be a great school to go to, they've added a lot to it in recent years.

1. That isn't the Rat. The Rat is gone. The new Rat opened a few years ago.

2. People are insanely ignorant to think the campus is in a "dangerous area".

- Now, onto Cuse(who they shouldn't overlook now) and UNC. But to me, two very winnable games and chance to get healthy b4 a big stretch. This schedule is back loaded with home games. yeah, this could be a special season. HOpe the locals show up, Miami has a great scene at Hard Rock, great tailgates, loud yard when we get into it.

Cuse isn't good. They beat a darn good team but they're not good. We shouldn't overlook them because we play an inferior opponent in 2 weeks (UNC).

I think the rain really changed momentum to our side. It seemed GT abandoned the pitch at that point and guys could just focus on the ball carrier.

Also - what an atrocious call on that illegal block below the waist - I'm pretty sure that block was legal as it wasn't from the side or the back. I guess there must be some fine print about an outside player cutting a defender from inside - but that's pretty friggin ticky tack. Mullins barely touched the guy.

By the letter of the law it was the correct call. You may block below the waist in these situations only:

- If the ball is within the tackle box you may block below-the-waist in any direction.

- If you are within seven yards of the middle lineman (the center), within five yards of the LOS, block the front of the defender, and are not blocking back towards your end zone.

The part that Mullins violated is the being further than seven yards away from the center. That's it. Everything else was correct. Technically, it's a violation of that rule, but it's never called. The bad part is that he didn't need to do it. Just block like our true freshmen WR's do and stay man-up. It allows you the chance to block more than one guy that way anyway.

That's just simply not something you can call there, but ironically, since we were playing GT, the officials had that rule fresh on their minds all week due to the high number of cut blocks that GT employs. Their likelihood of hurting someone due to their blocking techniques led the officials to throw a flag that is never thrown, against us, because they knew every letter of the rule for this game.

[MENTION=14203]M5canes[/MENTION] looks like i was wrong

Advertisement

[MENTION=14203]M5canes[/MENTION] looks like i was wrong

It was extremely close lol. Bad call nonetheless. Good times, man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My only real criticism is with the fades thrown, my guess is Richt will put a stop to that, especially after literally saying Rosier made a bad read on the throw to Langham as well. There was more than one occasion that we had guys open and he just didn't see it, that'll change as he gets more experience.
I love the guy because he has a moxie you can't coach, his throw when he was being chased OOB for ten yards was fantastic, that's a "sack" with any of our other QB's the last several years.

If you look at the replay of GTs first touchdown run you will see the same block made on J. Johnson, obviously uncalled and allowed right in the mix of the play

- Hated the onside kick to start the 2nd half. Yeah, I get it, you have to steal a possession from GT but the defense had begun to decipher what was going on and had a couple of stops to end the 1st half. I kept thinking back to this during the game as it looked like we might lose in a one possesion game.

I didn't like it either. Especially when the D stopped them on the previous 2 real drives.

- Speaking of the D, after getting killed on the pitch play for about two drives, I thought this unit really played well after that and kept Miami in the game. My hats off

This D also held them without points on 6 of the remaining 7 drives. This D has played pretty darn good in ACC play too.

- BTW, Miami outgained Tech by around 200 or so yards, and they basically dominated that 2nd half. But that red-zone offense was terrible today. Gotta find ways to get a push in the running game down there.

Some of those personnel decisions in the red-zone don't make sense either. We have Langham, he plays like he is 6'5 and is very hard to guard one on one. GT doesn't have anyone that can stop him. When we throw 3 fades ((2) to Hartley at 5'9 and (1) to Mullins at 5'10) to the wrong players (players without the size advantage), it is puzzling.

- Travis Homer(run hitter) if he's not an upgrade over Walton, is every bit his equal. He actually does a better job of getting north-south in his runs and better top end speed.

Upgrade or not, he is a great player. He needs the ball. He is fast and runs extremely hard. He deserves MORE carries in the red-zone. This guy needs to be removed from Punt and Kickoff Coverage immediately. We have a RB depth problem, find someone else to replace Homer.

- Last drive was insane, Ive never seen so many consecutive bubble screens and till they stopped it, Richt kept dialing it up. Hey, if it aint broke, dont fix it.

GT can't control our speed and they don't have the personnel to stop it. It wasn't just the last drive where GT played way off the LOS. That play was there throughout the game. Just hit the player in stride and let him make a play.

- once again, can we get more Chris Herndon earlier in games. Seriously, I feel this guy is vastly underused(especially in the first half of games)

He is an NFL talent. He needs the ball more. GT knew we were throwing to him and they played pus$y prevent and didn't really try to stop him. Get him going early.

- Wanna thank Peter Ariz for showing me around the UM campus(hadn't bee there in awhile ) and the world-famous Rathskeller. The reason why I bring this up is because anyone who says this campus isn't nice or is in a dangerous area simply doesn't know or has an agenda. And this is something that this staff and admin should stress - come on campus, look around and see for yourself. This must be a great school to go to, they've added a lot to it in recent years.

- Now, onto Cuse(who they shouldn't overlook now) and UNC. But to me, two very winnable games and chance to get healthy b4 a big stretch. This schedule is back loaded with home games. yeah, this could be a special season. HOpe the locals show up, Miami has a great scene at Hard Rock, great tailgates, loud yard when we get into it.

Cuse isn't good. They beat a darn good team but they're not good. We shouldn't overlook them because we play an inferior opponent in 2 weeks (UNC).

They are Good not great with a very good coach. We cant overlook anyone but the heat should slow down their hurry up as the humidity will stiflethem.

Advertisement
GT defense was totally gassed at the end. Paul J looked like he wanted to slit his wrists. LOL

Herndon thing feels eerily similar to Njoku last year. Barely use him first half of the season, then it's like "oh, that kids good let's exploit that mismatch as often as possible...and look, it works!!"

It's kind of baffling considering how many TEs Richt put in the league while at UGA.

He didnt exactly put them in the league..alot of those guys were just physical beast that would be drafted regardless..**** he misused NJOKU di Gawd hlf of last year to...and NEVER used them at FSU. Herndon is a problem after the catch as he is big and has some wiggle

Completely agree on Herndon, find a way to make him a part of the gameplan early and often. Would love to see him down the seam a little more as well.

Advertisement

Con, yeah, its funny but Ive heard of so many stories of parents being scared off by Miami by other coaches who will use the whole 'Miami Vice'/'Cocaine Cowboys' rep against the U - and most dont even know the campus is insulated in Coral Gables. I know for a fact that Zach Miller wanted in the worst way to come to UM but his parents were scared off by the whole image of the school, city and program. It's why I think on-campus visits for Miami are more important than for many other traditional powers when it comes to out-of-state/area recruits

BTw, my favorite part of this great trip was taking a picture next to 'the U' on campus, lol.

Herndon thing feels eerily similar to Njoku last year. Barely use him first half of the season, then it's like "oh, that kids good let's exploit that mismatch as often as possible...and look, it works!!"

It's kind of baffling considering how many TEs Richt put in the league while at UGA.

He didnt exactly put them in the league..alot of those guys were just physical beast that would be drafted regardless..**** he misused NJOKU di Gawd hlf of last year to...and NEVER used them at FSU. Herndon is a problem after the catch as he is big and has some wiggle

Uh, try looking up Orson Charles's #s at UGA. He did great under Richt.

Doesn't fit with your agenda to constantly bash this staff though. It's hilarious how bitter you are

They are Good not great with a very good coach. We cant overlook anyone but the heat should slow down their hurry up as the humidity will stiflethem.

1. He can coach an offense and they have a good offense.

Overall:

Total Offense: 463 YPG (28th)
Scoring Offense: 31.3 PPG (53rd)

No one is denying that.

2. You normally overlook an opponent when you have a tough game the following week. We have UNC. UNC is probably the worst team on the schedule. We're not overlooking Cuse. Nobody is suggesting that we overlooking Cuse.

3. Ignoring us, I don't see why they're some tough opponent especially on the road. On the road, Cuse is 0-2. Their offense also performs worse on the road:

Home:

Points Scored (avg): 33.6

Yards Gained (avg): 482.6

Away:

Points Scored (avg): 25.5

Yards Gained (avg): 414

4. My guess is Cuse will finish in the middle third (record-wise) of the ACC. Perhaps our offense can show up and play for 4 quarters. Cuse doesn't have a top-25 D (38th in Total D, 55th in Scoring D). Now it is time to they roll. Who is going to stop Homer, Herndon, Langham and Berrios? Does Cuse have the speed to stop Thomas?

Advertisement
Back