Final Ranking

always a joke these rankings no matter the sport! we beat auburn handedly and they are ahead of us at 14th. Perdue looses to freaking saint peter's but ends up top 10! clowns!!!
It's a joke! We were in the Elite 8 and beat Auburn, yet we're not even in the top 14 and behind Auburn. It's disrespectful and totally unacceptable, I guess as usual. I'm both mad & sad!!! :mad: (n)

Advertisement
Probably not. But did they make it to the Elite 8? If not, are they really better than the team who did?
The same people who will argue we were shafted bc we made it farther than Tennessee, etc. and Auburn is not better than us bc we beat them, will look you dead in the eye and say “lol St Peter’s isn’t better than Arizona, etc. and Kentucky or Purdue even if they beat them or made it farther.”

I’m satisfied from not even “receiving votes” to a final ranking of 16 is pretty **** good. Who else had a jump like that? Congrats again Canes on a great season.

Looking forward to the ACC Big10 challenge where the Canes should get a name brand school and a Marquee game to build that resume

Lol yes. Those teams lost 1 game 1 day earlier. The tournament is not an accurate representation of team strength. It's just a fun way to crown a champion
If they were better, they would've won.

Did Miami suck all year enough to be unranked, then suddenly make it to the Elite 8 on chance?

The rankings are seriously flawed and teams do better than they expected in the tournament.

Advertisement

Did Miami suck all year enough to be unranked, then suddenly make it to the Elite 8 on chance?

The rankings are seriously flawed and teams do better than they expected in the tournament.
OK. You either understand sample sizes or you don't. I'm not going to explain it to you. Muting this. Have a good one.

OK. You either understand sample sizes or you don't. I'm not going to explain it to you. Muting this. Have a good one.
I'm just having fun here. I do think we're a little low in the rankings, but my top 8 comment was tongue in cheek.

But seriously, the rankings are flawed and teams do better than expected in the tournament.

In some cases, the rankings gave a lot more weight to the Tourney than to the regular season (UNC at 2, Arkansas at 8)
In other cases, the rankings seem to weight regular season results more than the Tourney (Baylor at 9, Auburn at 14, Tennessee at 15, Miami at 16)

Last edited:
Advertisement

Yeah, and I've talked about this a lot previously.

We beat Auburn. We beat a Final Four team. We beat a Championship Game team. We were leading the National Champs at halftime.

Those OUTCOMES prove that we belong, and that we should be judged on our outcomes. Instead, all season long, we were tagged with a couple of November neutral-site tournament losses, and then later, by a couple of 1-point losses to our in-state rivals.

Plus, we kept getting mis-labeled as "lucky" because we caused turnovers.

Bottom line, we beat some of the best teams in the land and had a shot at beating the champs. We BELATEDLY got the ranking we pretty much deserved all season long (one early-season tourney notwithstanding).

In some cases, the rankings gave a lot more weight to the Tourney than to the regular season (UNC at 2, Arkansas at 8)
In other cases, the rankings seem to weight regular season results more than the Tourney (Baylor at 9, Auburn at 14, Tennessee at 15, Miami at 16)
Seems like the Final Four is the top 4, and after that they take into account the full body of work. Similar to the CFP.

WTF is wrong with some of you? No rational person is going to poll depending solely on a single elimination tournament. Why? Because the regular season matters. People forget that Miami wasn't even close to being ranked for most of the season and thanks to the run is now in the top 20. Think what Arizona, Gonzaga and other accomplished doesn't matter because they lost earlier than anticipated?

This isn't football. Let me say it again: THIS ISN'T FOOTBALL. The final poll for basketball is mostly a rehash of the final regular season one, with some movement towards the bottom of the poll.

Lol yes. Those teams lost 1 game 1 day earlier. The tournament is not an accurate representation of team strength. It's just a fun way to crown a champion
The NCAA Tournament is the WORST way to pick a champ, despite being the most exciting. It's rare that the best team wins, because a single game elimination tournament makes everything a bit random.

Advertisement
WTF is wrong with some of you? No rational person is going to poll depending solely on a single elimination tournament. Why? Because the regular season matters. People forget that Miami wasn't even close to being ranked for most of the season and thanks to the run is now in the top 20. Think what Arizona, Gonzaga and other accomplished doesn't matter because they lost earlier than anticipated?

This isn't football. Let me say it again: THIS ISN'T FOOTBALL. The final poll for basketball is mostly a rehash of the final regular season one, with some movement towards the bottom of the poll.

Settle down. I don't think that anyone is suggesting that the final rankings should be a carbon copy of the bracket outcomes (and the one guy who kinda did admitted he was joking).

But how teams are playing at the end of the season (conference and NCAA tourneys) is like the "final exam". You shouldn't be giving out extra credit for perfect attendance in November and December. As I have pointed out, we were penalized ALL SEASON LONG for 2 games at a neutral-site tourney when our team was ultimately impacted (and improved) by multiple key transfer players. We were a much better team in 2022 than we were in 2021.

End-of-season should be double or triple weighted. Let's not cry too many tears over "regular season", when the goal of the regular season is to get to, and position one's team for, the post-season.

Seems like we made it into the remaining 8, anything less than 8 is wrong. Im not nearly so black and white, but the question isn't top programs right? I mean St Peters is also a top 8 team at the end of the season. Perhaps a couple other schools could say something similar. I reject a ranking worse than 8. They played the games . . .

Yeah, and I've talked about this a lot previously.

We beat Auburn. We beat a Final Four team. We beat a Championship Game team. We were leading the National Champs at halftime.

Those OUTCOMES prove that we belong, and that we should be judged on our outcomes. Instead, all season long, we were tagged with a couple of November neutral-site tournament losses, and then later, by a couple of 1-point losses to our in-state rivals.

Plus, we kept getting mis-labeled as "lucky" because we caused turnovers.

Bottom line, we beat some of the best teams in the land and had a shot at beating the champs. We BELATEDLY got the ranking we pretty much deserved all season long (one early-season tourney notwithstanding).
The entire conference was dogged all year for a handful of bad losses in November. When is the last time an ACC team won 14/15 conference games and was not ranked in the final regular season poll? There were 3 this year. Wake won 13 conference games, and 22 overall (historically, pretty safe barriers for entry) and didn't even make the tourney. Meanwhile Bama goes 9-9 in conference, 19-13 overall, ends the season on a 4 game losing streak, and gets in as a 6-seed (promptly losing to... an ACC team [who had to win a play-in game] in the first round).

Advertisement
The entire conference was dogged all year for a handful of bad losses in November. When is the last time an ACC team won 14/15 conference games and was not ranked in the final regular season poll? There were 3 this year. Wake won 13 conference games, and 22 overall (historically, pretty safe barriers for entry) and didn't even make the tourney. Meanwhile Bama goes 9-9 in conference, 19-13 overall, ends the season on a 4 game losing streak, and gets in as a 6-seed (promptly losing to... an ACC team [who had to win a play-in game] in the first round).
I was going to mention the same thing. ACC was grossly underrated. 3 teams in the elite 8 and 2 making it to the final four typically means you had a dominate conference. Only once has there been 3 teams from the same conference make it to the final four (1985 with St Johns, Georgetown and Villanova from the Big East). The SEC and Big Ten were shams this year. I think they had 17 teams make the tourney combined and only 4 made it to the sweet 16 and only 1 made it to the elite eight, even though the 2 conferences took most of the top 6 seeds, giving them the clearest paths to make it deep into the tournament all while UNC made it to within 3 points of a championship as an 8 seed and we made it to the elite eight as a 10 seed.

I was going to mention the same thing. ACC was grossly underrated. 3 teams in the elite 8 and 2 making it to the final four typically means you had a dominate conference. Only once has there been 3 teams from the same conference make it to the final four (1985 with St Johns, Georgetown and Villanova from the Big East). The SEC and Big Ten were shams this year. I think they had 17 teams make the tourney combined and only 4 made it to the sweet 16 and only 1 made it to the elite eight, even though the 2 conferences took most of the top 6 seeds, giving them the clearest paths to make it deep into the tournament all while UNC made it to within 3 points of a championship as an 8 seed and we made it to the elite eight as a 10 seed.
The ACC was definitely underrated. I still don't think the conference as a whole was as good as it typically is, though. There were a lot of lousy teams at the bottom, more so than usual. And the middle of the pack in the ACC was weaker than usual this year.

But, but, but, Alabama beat Miami by 30 in a November neutral-site tournament...

Advertisement
Back