Film Review of Duke Game

what a lesson in football. thank you. i know it takes many hours to do this.

i think rosier is looking down and running so often because richt has drilled into his head that he has to take care of the ball, and so he is. remember that richt said that rosier was to irresponsible with the ball and would make too many bad decisions and bad throws. so rosier has over-reacted, maybe a bit too much, but he's getting the job done and a lot more. i believe he will gain more confidence and stay longer as the season progresses. only his 4th start.

Advertisement
Well 2 of the 3 things I wanted fixed after the Toledo game were in this game against Duke.

1: Cover the ******* Slot WRs without LBs/DE's. We did this by bringing Redwine down a lot and running more nickel which was great, especially knowing we were giving the offense no time to throw the ball deep. This strategy will work very well for most teams we play I think.

Now for next week, I really don't think we'll be able to do this. FSU throws it deep A LOT. That means we likely won't be showing to much single high with Redwine down on the slot. However we absolutely can not have Redwine playing deep and leaving the slot uncovered. Almost half of Blackmons throws against WF were 15+ Yards down field and almost all the rest of his throws were behind the LOS. This means Diaz wont be able to ignore the deep passes which means both safeties will be 10yrds off most of the time. And it also means we absolutely can NOT leave their slot WRs uncovered within 5 yards, because they absolutely will tear us up with quick screens/slants/outs that will be easy yards. I expect us to see a lot more nickel defense next game tbh.

2: Allow the DBs to play physical and actually Jam the WR. Thank ******* God we finally did this. I even said Delaney shouldn't be on the field if he isn't Jamming the WR, and basically they did it. Granted he did play press bail a couple times which is okay, but thankfully he was finally allowed to play physical and it worked great. I hope to see less Jackson, More Bandy (and give Dean a few more plays too). Young really needs to get his head around, if he can do that he's a very good starter. Delaney being physical on one side, Young locking his WR down on the other side, and Bandy in the nickel is starting to look nice.

***3: Take Perry, Smith, and Owens off the field. Unfortunately this was not done, and we can clearly see it absolutely ****ed us in all but about 2 instances - when Owens made back to back solid plays in that one drive. Like seriously like I already said last week, Perry and Smith should absolutely not see the field unless absolutely necessary. If Shaq, Pinckney, McCloud are tired, option number 1 needs to be subbing in a nickel cb. Option 2 can be alligning in a 5-2 by subbing a DE on the field (this would work well since Diaz basically blitzes every play anyways). Smith and Perry and even Owens still need to see as little PT as possible. They will continue to **** us if they get too much PT. Diaz really needs to ******* see this since he is their **** position coach as well as the DC.

Not trying to nitpick because this content is outstanding, and appreciate your work. But any reason in particular you don't use gifs? It makes everything clear to those that don't know so much about x and o's. If you're trying to be a sports writer, Brown over at Smart football does a good job of implementing videos and gifs to illustrate what he sees. It's really not hard to do and if you're spending so much time on these posts anyway... just a suggestion

It's definitely feedback that I'll take into consideration. I think it's probably 50/50 that would get point across better. So many little things that require stills to fully see. Other times a gif would get full appreciation of a play.

Sharp football does a great job at a lot of things, and their data usage is top notch.

Any suggestions for a gif maker? No promises, but I will investigate. It takes an hour to load the posts and photos alone.

I usually use gyfcat for gifs https://gfycat.com/create
you can just type in the url and it'll load the whole thing and you can adjust the length of the gif accordingly. Probably take a little patience uploading and saving as you said

VacantShabbyIaerismetalmark-size_restricted.gif

Advertisement
Great stuff, vision. I learn something new every time I read your breakdown.

And to the posters that quote his entire post, DIAF

Love these posts.

Glad you highlighted the kickoff struggles. I've been disappointed with that group. We have guys that can run (Wilder) and guys that can strike (Carter and Jennings), but not enough guys who can run AND strike at a high level.

Kickoff teams usually are a good indicator of defensive recruiting which tells me we need to do a little better job there.

Advertisement
Great write up, keep them coming! Just like a film session [MENTION=5374]HurricaneVision[/MENTION]

Love these posts.

Glad you highlighted the kickoff struggles. I've been disappointed with that group. We have guys that can run (Wilder) and guys that can strike (Carter and Jennings), but not enough guys who can run AND strike at a high level.

Kickoff teams usually are a good indicator of defensive recruiting which tells me we need to do a little better job there.

Good analysis, D. I brought this up in another post but we seemingly have the right type of guys covering kicks. At Duke, I saw Wilder, Jennings, McCloud, Smith, Carter, Dean, JJ, Young, Homer, Finley. These are guys who can run and strike. Maybe not at a high level but they'll get there.

thanks as always for this post [MENTION=5374]HurricaneVision[/MENTION]

i prefer images over gifs, i would just suggest that the images could be bigger

Love these posts.

You know what, that's an interesting statement. I've never really thought of it that way. I've always thought of kickoff as a good indicator of how you've recruited big athletes, such as TE, LB, S, RB recruiting.

I wonder if I could run a regression of defensive recruiting classes and kickoff return averages (for and against) and see if there is a correlation.

Advertisement
thanks as always for this post [MENTION=5374]HurricaneVision[/MENTION]

i prefer images over gifs, i would just suggest that the images could be bigger

Thanks for feedback. Suggestion might be to click on the image, which will open it in another tab. Then you can hold control and roll your mouse up and down to zoom in (or on your laptop pad).

I don't know of a way to make the images appear larger, since I "load" them into the image library when I make the post. Perhaps it's as simple as it shows the size I save it, but I'm not certain.

Love these posts.

You know what, that's an interesting statement. I've never really thought of it that way. I've always thought of kickoff as a good indicator of how you've recruited big athletes, such as TE, LB, S, RB recruiting.

I wonder if I could run a regression of defensive recruiting classes and kickoff return averages (for and against) and see if there is a correlation.

That’s a tall order. So many variables that can change from play to play. Including personnel, as well as, original ranking reliability, and then ranking their future defensive performance reliably and consistently. It would seem like the best you could hope for is a more subjective table-like view of players and their performance kickoffs versus regular defensive assignments, but even that, just sounds like a lot of hunting for individual bits of data/performance

Also, holee ***, the amount of time you put on for this. Have you ever thought of offering your services to our press corps. Those guys are supposed to be professionals yet they don’t even know 1% of what you’re posting. Their only interest seems to be human interest stories, which is fine, those get clicks, they’re fun to read, but they never talk football X’s & O’s. Ever. Of course, I also realize media doesn’t pay that much, so this may just be ****ing in the wind, but man some of our beat reporters could use an education

It was really pronounced during the golden era. You even had our beat reporters making fun of fans for criticizing the scheme, when they themselves knew nothing . It was really frustrating.

Advertisement
Back