Film Breakdown of Kevin Steele's Defense

Advertisement
pickle dancing GIF

Advertisement
Advertisement
Video:

Summary: He's going to let great athletes be special and make plays. Going to be a FUN and FAST defense

@jdpickell on Twitter as well 🤝

The one thing I noticed that really stood out to me about Steele's defense is that yes it is an aggressive and downhill defense that allows it's playmakers to make plays but it differs significantly from the Diaz defense in that it focuses on pressuring the ball and not necessarily the QB/backfield.

Manny's defense was based on creating chaos at the LOS with heavy stunting, angle pressure and gap shooting. There was no thought given to any type of fundamental gap integrity. Steele's defense is based on solid fundamentals, gap integrity and physicality while playing aggressively downhill, and pressuring the football. Diaz would constantly send blitzes and pressures but if the QB got the ball off or had any time the d would get shredded. Diaz's pressures and blitzes were always geared toward the QB or the backfield in order to pick up cheap sacks and TFLs but misdirection made us look silly. Steele's scheme on the other hand is much more intelligent in that it seems to be based on quickly diagnosing where the ball is going then pressuring/collapsing on that area. There is emphasis on keeping things in front but it is not passive in that regard. It's quite the opposite actually. Steele doesn't give huge cushions generally speaking. Man or zone this is a defense that will use speed and explosiveness to swarm to the football/point of attack in a physical and aggressive manner. This is just a thought I had but Steele's scheme/philosophy reminds me of Carl Torbush and those aggressive defenses he had at UNC in the 90's.

Last edited:
Only concern i have with our defense this year is the dline, can we get consistent pressure vs pass and reset the los vs the run. If we dont it can be rough at times because steele would rather not blitz alot unless it’s a obvious pass on 3rd,thats not a knock on him I just question any defense that has a mediocre dline. I think we need a 1t/2i DT and DE.

Advertisement
Video:

Summary: He's going to let great athletes be special and make plays. Going to be a FUN and FAST defense

I'm not a coach so I don't know that much about schemes but all I keep hearing is we're playing a 4/3 D. Everyone on the D staff has said it in either an interview or in an article. So is the 4/2/5 on passing downs only is my question?

I like the 4/2/5 with Tae & Kam at safety and Williams as the DB near or on the line.

Last edited:
The one thing I noticed that really stood out to me about Steele's defense is that yes it is an aggressive and downhill defense that allows it's playmakers to make plays but it differs significantly from the Diaz defense in that it focuses on pressuring the ball and not necessarily the QB/backfield.

Manny's defense was based on creating chaos at the LOS with heavy stunting, angle pressure and gap shooting. There was no thought given to any type of fundamental gap integrity. Steele's defense is based on solid fundamentals, gap integrity and physicality while playing aggressively downhill, and pressuring the football. Diaz would constantly send blitzes and pressures but if the QB got the ball off or had any time the d would get shredded. Diaz's pressures and blitzes were always geared toward the QB or the backfield in order to pick up cheap sacks and TFLs but misdirection made us look silly. Steele's scheme on the other hand is much more intelligent in that it seems to be based on quickly diagnosing where the ball is going then pressuring/collapsing on that area. There is emphasis on keeping things in front but it is not passive in that regard. It's quite the opposite actually. Steele doesn't give huge cushions generally speaking. Man or zone this is a defense that will use speed and explosiveness to swarm to the football/point of attack in a physical and aggressive manner. This is just a thought I had but Steele's scheme/philosophy reminds me of Carl Torbush and those aggressive defenses he had at UNC in the 90's.
I will not miss the blitzes that run our guys completely out of the play.

Advertisement
I think one of the biggest immediate upgrades Steele will bring is multiplicity within 4-3 & 4-2-5 to lessen the atrocity that is our LB room. We should be able to keep our top 4 LB's on the field exclusively while utilizing Frierson heavily against the spread O's and obvious passing scenarios.

I'm not a coach so I don't know that much about schemes but all I keep hearing is we're playing a 4/3 D. Everyone on the D staff has said it in either an interview or in an article. So is the 4/2/5 on passing downs only is my question?

I like the 4/2/5 with Tae & Kam at safety and Williams as the DB near or on the line.
Technically "base defense" is out of a 4-3 but with most teams being spread nowadays we will be in a nickle/4-2-5 type package majority of times. If you notice even when teams went jumbo or pro style or even two TE and two backs we STAYED in 4-2-5 base defense, that gave the offense automatic advantage because our LB are tiny and some even have slow foot speed and then our striker is essentially a DB also. Steele would go back to base defense in same situation and have true LB on field..

Last year was REALLY bad because Keontre was a converted DB, Frierson is a DB and we had small AND slow true LB in Flagg.. We had a converted LB at DE also, Defense had no length to it.. I mentioned it many times last offseason that that type of defense was DOA, but was called a mope or whatever.. Season starts and defense is historically bad..

Ld
Only concern i have with our defense this year is the dline, can we get consistent pressure vs pass and reset the los vs the run. If we dont it can be rough at times because steele would rather not blitz alot unless it’s a obvious pass on 3rd,thats not a knock on him I just question any defense that has a mediocre dline. I think we need a 1t/2i DT and DE.
Agree with this. We will see what Mario does with the portal but we def need help on the DL.

Video:

Stopped watching when this yahoo said Miami would be going into the portal to get a good safety. Dude might know a little about coach but never bothered to learn a thing about our team.

Advertisement
Back