Film Breakdown of Kevin Steele's Defense

Solid.

Defensive philosophy this year:

200.gif
šŸ‘†Strong candidate for top 10 phrase in all movies.

Advertisement
I'm not a coach so I don't know that much about schemes but all I keep hearing is we're playing a 4/3 D. Everyone on the D staff has said it in either an interview or in an article. So is the 4/2/5 on passing downs only is my question?

I like the 4/2/5 with Tae & Kam at safety and Williams as the DB near or on the line.
To the layman the defense will look like a 4-3 in many packages which this defense technically is but we will run a lot of 4-2-5.

Advertisement
His Defense at Auburn in 2019 held LSU to 23 points...better than anyone else...Auburn should have won the game....

Only thing was Brady saved the game with MASTERFUL play calling. The LSU staff realized they couldnā€™t block Auburn after the first series. Instead of throwing good money after bad and getting their quarterback killed, they went to a versatile quick passing game that kept Burrows clean and moved the ball.

Auburn was all over their asses and lesser coaches would have played stubborn, lost by 17, and then blamed ā€œexecutionā€. It was really a beautifully coached game on both sides and LSU escaped at home.

I'm not a coach so I don't know that much about schemes but all I keep hearing is we're playing a 4/3 D. Everyone on the D staff has said it in either an interview or in an article. So is the 4/2/5 on passing downs only is my question?

I like the 4/2/5 with Tae & Kam at safety and Williams as the DB near or on the line.
If you play three safeties but one of them lines up near the line of scrimmage where the SAM linebacker would normally play, is it still a 4-2-5? Itā€™s really just semantics. Positional versatility and modern defenses have made a lot of the old terminology meaningless. When people say 4/3 or 3/4, theyā€™re really only talking about whether theyā€™re running an even or odd front.

Advertisement
love coach Steele.. one of the best hire we could make.
his DL @ Auburn in 2019 was ELITE
We win the ACC this year AND go playoffs strong with that DL in our team

looking forward to see some legit defenses from coach Steele at the U

Everyone slandering Big Man Sam needs to eat crow right now

**** wrong thread

Advertisement
Technically "base defense" is out of a 4-3 but with most teams being spread nowadays we will be in a nickle/4-2-5 type package majority of times. If you notice even when teams went jumbo or pro style or even two TE and two backs we STAYED in 4-2-5 base defense, that gave the offense automatic advantage because our LB are tiny and some even have slow foot speed and then our striker is essentially a DB also. Steele would go back to base defense in same situation and have true LB on field..

Last year was REALLY bad because Keontre was a converted DB, Frierson is a DB and we had small AND slow true LB in Flagg.. We had a converted LB at DE also, Defense had no length to it.. I mentioned it many times last offseason that that type of defense was DOA, but was called a mope or whatever.. Season starts and defense is historically bad..
Many of us were called mopes. ****, had some of these guys on here had their way, Manny would have been given a lifetime contract.

Advertisement
Iā€™d argue that Steeleā€™s defense is absolutely top 5 in the country in his time with auburn. Few power-5 teams played the schedule Auburn was delt each year. In my opinion, his overall S&P stat is better because of that. It was mostly matching the spread teams in ideas that his gifts are strongest. When his DL was particularly strong and had that type of advantage at the LOS he could dream up some stuff for gameday.

Advertisement
Back