Feels like 2007

View as article
You hired an elite recruiter CEO. We all said that the key to his success would be to hire the right staff, clearly he failed miserably. Thankfully the product is so bad that he can't just ignore it.

Thank god they're not making a bowl game. The reset button needs to be hit right after the Pitt game, in time for the early signing period.

Advertisement
I want to say this feels like the Butch years, because that’s always been my comparison. But that would be a lie. This feels like watching Virginia beat Miami 48-0 in the last game of the OB. Fifteen years later almost to the day and we still suck. It’s a numb feeling.

That 2007 team played horrible every week. We played it off by talking about the roster purge and the incoming recruiting class. That team had a bad OC and a staff of excellent individual coaches who didn’t click. And that team had a head coach who ultimately failed.

I have more faith in Cristobal than Shannon, but it’s becoming less rational by the day. This team has played bad in every single game. It’s November. Four straight home losses to kill the fanbase, and three of them are among the worst losses in program history.

The only difference between this team and 2007 is that the 2022 team has better players and more money. Florida State isn’t even a dominant opponent. They will finish with four to five losses. Two years ago, we beat them like they beat us. The difference is we have gotten worse in every aspect.

Better players will help. A new offense will help. Tennessee somehow came back after bottoming out for two decades. But any hope is based on nothing we’ve seen on the field. And that is a painful, familiar feeling.
This post is spot on!! Our school is curse! We have better players, better coaches and way more money yet we are looking like teams of our with Cory king at dt and Al Golden’s defense with that high school coaching. The only things the same with our program is the statement - we need better players lolol shameful!

Curious, can we name one example of a team doing this in all of college football? Elite college program, falls from grace and then trips down a well for almost two decades? Seriously, has any major team ever looked like this repeatedly? Is this just because we continue to get national exposure ( and look like garbage)

Nebraska is a mirror image of what Miami looks like. Only difference is we are located in furtile recruiting territory. They aren't.

Nebraska is a mirror image of what Miami looks like. Only difference is we are located in furtile recruiting territory. They aren't.
Agreed…but they just do not get the national coverage we do. People see them embarrassed way less than us.

You hired an elite recruiter CEO. We all said that the key to his success would be to hire the right staff, clearly he failed miserably. Thankfully the product is so bad that he can't just ignore it.

Thank god they're not making a bowl game. The reset button needs to be hit right after the Pitt game, in time for the early signing period.
The fact that he can recruit gives me hope. If he can recruit at that level consistently, the results will come with time. Question becomes, how much time? Also, what’s his ceiling? Is it like Jimbo at A&M or Kirby at UGA? Not looking good.

Advertisement
The fact that he can recruit gives me hope. If he can recruit at that level consistently, the results will come with time. Question becomes, how much time? Also, what’s his ceiling? Is it like Jimbo at A&M or Kirby at UGA? Not looking good.

We'll know with the type of OC he hires.

Even Manny switched to Lashlee to save his ***. If Mario just hires another Gattis then......

I just can't believe he was dumb/naive enough to to want to go in the complete opposite direction after seeing what TVD/Lashlee was successful with last year.

We went from uptempo/spread to slow and methodical.

I know he probably hated our running game from last year (like we all did) but it's just baffling to believe he was willing to sacrifice scoring points and high flying offenses with a gunslinging QB so he could get a physical offense that could run the ball.
You are assuming that. It is also entirely possible that he was sold a false bill of goods from Gattis and thought he'd be far more competent than what we've seen.

Agreed 100%. Staff is getting paid too much to underachieve this grotesquely. With that said, there are players on this roster that simply don’t belong, whether it be from a talent or culture perspective. They need to be shown the door. Minimal effort and toughness should not be tolerated.

2 things can be true at once:

— Mario and his staff have not done enough to get the best out of these players. We’ve seen schematic and personnel decisions that are mind boggling. It all starts with them, and they deserve to face the music.

— We also have some deep, structural issues with this team’s culture. It’s going to take a couple years to wash it out….if Mario lasts that long.

Bad coaching + Bad Culture + Injuries = Disaster.
Nailed it. From what I’ve heard, there’s a BIG issue between guys on the team (mostly older) and Mario. It’s bad, it’s been bad and continues to manifest. The thing that woke me up in the middle of the night was actually the injuries. That is a pattern from Oregon days and needs to get fixed. Mario can control that and firing his OC.

Advertisement
Advertisement
D, it’s absolutely laughable that you won’t admit that Mario was a terrible hire. There hasn’t been one performance this year that has shown he deserves the job. Do you think we would have a better record right now if Kiffin was hired?
The only thing we can point to is recruiting. I’m not saying it makes him a great hire, just saying it’s the only aspect of his tenure so far that is/has worked. I can’t think of anything else.

He may not be the smartest man in the room but he has his philosophy (tUfF fIziKuLL) and he will never deviate from that. He’s stubborn as well until he proves differently. He has yet to show that he can field an offense that’s capable of taking us to the next level. Let’s be real - Mario needs a roster full of 4-5 stars to win here.
He needs to take his Garbage *** philosophy, along with his stubbornness, and flush it tf down the toilet. Thank God I'm in NYC, and didn't waste a second of my life to witness that level of coaching in person.

Advertisement
Nailed it. From what I’ve heard, there’s a BIG issue between guys on the team (mostly older) and Mario. It’s bad, it’s been bad and continues to manifest. The thing that woke me up in the middle of the night was actually the injuries. That is a pattern from Oregon days and needs to get fixed. Mario can control that and firing his OC.
The injury theory is a hunch, in my opinion.

Look at the two major ones we’ve had lately:

— TVD lands on his shoulder and separates it.

— Rivers has his ankle get caught under some bodies and ends up twisting or breaking it.

Those two injuries have nothing to do with strength and conditioning; they are just freaky, unlucky accidents.

If we go back and start analyzing the rest of the injuries, I don’t think people will find a correlation there, either. I’m not saying there are zero legs to this theory, but I need to see a lot more evidence before I fall in line with the rest of you.

And this is coming from a guy who never liked the Feld hire. I actually thought Feeley was better, based on what people I trust were saying. I think if you’re going to attack Feld, which is certainly justified, you focus on our team getting bullied in the trenches and how guys seem winded earlier in the game then they should be.

The injury theory is a hunch, in my opinion.

Look at the two major ones we’ve had lately:

— TVD lands on his shoulder and separates it.

— Rivers has his ankle get caught under some bodies and ends up twisting or breaking it.

Those two injuries have nothing to do with strength and conditioning; they are just freaky, unlucky accidents.

If we go back and start analyzing the rest of the injuries, I don’t think people will find a correlation there, either. I’m not saying there are zero legs to this theory, but I need to see a lot more evidence before I fall in line with the rest of you.

And this is coming from a guy who never liked the Feld hire. I actually thought Feeley was better, based on what people I trust were saying. I think if you’re going to attack Feld, which is certainly justified, you focus on our team getting bullied in the trenches and how guys seem winded earlier in the game then they should be.
Absolutely NO excuses for that debacle the entire country witnessed last night...NONE...
I knew we'd lose...but not the utter destruction Norvell & Company put on us. He's getting paid 8 million dollars a yr...with the rest of the staff making 5 million more. That's more than double any other HC and staff have been paid in UMs History. Who in their right mind, hires an entire Offensive staff BEFORE hiring an OC??....That's so F-ing unbelievable that I don't know where to start.

You are assuming that. It is also entirely possible that he was sold a false bill of goods from Gattis and thought he'd be far more competent than what we've seen.
Why can’t one of the reporters fact check him on “Gattis ran the playbook well at UMich“ - because wasn’t it widely known that Harbaugh called plays when they turned it around?

We need a different scheme for sure, but even the one we are in right now looks poorly coached and the play calls are random af and generally not appropriate for the down and distance.

Georgia Southern, San Jose ST & the Ohio Bobcats have better Offenses than us...

Does anybody who think it’s all just because of our roster wanna be bold enough to make an argument that SAN JOSE STATE & The OHIO BOBCATS have a better roster than Miami?

I mean I’m sure there are, but at what point when that person is typing that do think to themselves, “I’m really sitting here about to try to say San Jose ST has more talent than Miami, wtf am I doing?!?!?..” lol

Especially when you look at what’s happening in Washington & TCU in year one of both those tenure’s for their new HC’s. Neither team had stacked rosters with a bunch of 5-stars or were 10+ win teams within the last 5 years, so it really cuts at the bungee cord of excuses for why a guy as highly touted as Mario couldn’t get it done in year one.

I’m even willing to give him a pass & year one just doesn’t count, none of these guys are his players, okay cool; but what really has happened is that the bar has been lowered so low that literally any wins above .500 will be such an exponential improvement from this season that it will extend the leeway as far out as year 5, year 6 etc of not really having to produce results commensurate to the contract & the hype & that’s where things get lost in the sauce.

What this can’t turn into is the “Wait til next year Olympics” every year...
The old “just wait right here Ima bring you your money back” gag can only work once on people who have just a little bit of street smarts lol
This offense is a disaster. No one should even attempt to argue otherwise. I just wanted to mention something. It's kinda funny that you mention San Jose State because they actually have 3 pass catchers that impressed me. I think at least two of the three will have at least a cup of coffee in the NFL and amazingly enough they all started out at Nevada of all places.

Again, not taking up for our disaster of a staff, but just engaging in some football talk.

Advertisement
Back