FCS Spring Football

What’s your thoughts on JSU. I’m curious to see the impact the p5 level recruits and transfers will make there.
I think Deion assembled a pretty good staff considering the circumstances.

He has Michael Pollock as his OC/QB’s coach & he’s a young guy who was coaching HS ball down in Georgia, but he also brought in long time veteran coach Jason Phillips as Co-OC & WR’s coach & he has extensive experience running uptempo spread offenses he was at Houston with Art Briles as WR’s coach, at Baylor with Briles as well, then went back to Houston to be on Kevin Sumlin’s staff, then was at SMU towards the end of the June Jones era, then at Kansas with Dave Beatty, then was at Oregon St with Gary Andersen as the Passing game coordinator & then followed Andersen to Utah State. He’s a smart well versed coach with tons of years in the Air Raid/Spread Offense & can help Pollock a lot.

He also brought in Dennis Thurman as his DC & Thurman actually used to coach Deion before he retired when he played for the Ravens, Coach Thurman was the DB’s coach for the Ravens back in 04-05. He was also Rex Ryan’s DB’s coach for the Jets, back when the Jets had Darrelle Revis & Antonio Cromartie, Thurman is a well respected old school DB’s coach. He’s another experienced veteran coach with long extensive NFL history, that will do well getting the players to buy into the message.

Most people look a Deion as a clownish kinda character, but he’s actually a very smart X’s & O’s guy & was film junkie in terms of his preparation during his career. He started out coaching the Under Armor All-American game for years, then started his own charter school Prime Prep Academy, but then became the OC of Trinity Christian down in Cedar Hill & lead them to 4 straight state titles in Texas in 3 different classifications.

It will all come down to QB play, he got former UF 4-star QB from VA Jalon Jones & he obviously flipped his son Shedeur Sanders from FAU, but Shedeur was actually a 4-star QB who was very productive in HS & was a 3 time state champion. So depending on who he starts out with, they could have a pretty good offense.

Their secondary could be pretty good too, they were able to steal De’Jahn Warren who was a 4-star JUCO Corner that was committed to UGA up until the day of ENSD back in December. He also got Isaiah Bolden in a transfer from FSU, plus they picked up a few more JUCO transfers who were highly coveted.

Idk how well they’ll play, but I’m interested in seeing them, I think if they can figure out the QB situation they might be surprisingly good. But one thing is, the future is looking bright for them because Prime can recruit & he’ll be able to land some good transfers from JUCO & the Portal, after a few years they may be a contending team in the SWAC.

Advertisement
I think FCS Football in the Spring is perfect, it doesn’t make sense to go the whole Spring & early Summer with no Football. With the FBS playing from August/September - December, it makes perfect sense to have the FCS play from Feb/March - May/June.

It also would help FCS players in terms of the Portal, because they could play in the Spring & put on film their ability & enter the Portal in the Summer & get enrolled for a FBS school in the Fall & still have eligibility to play if they wanted to.

I know most don’t care about FCS ball though lol

Nah, dude...lots of us care about all levels of football...keeper coming!

Been to few games at ETSU - SoCon - in the past and may try to catch one or 2 - weather permitting. If you love football, there’s some great games played in the lower levels. Been to several games at Tusculum - SAC. Great little stadium and some good games.
went to a game at Western Carolina last year and had a **** of a time

FCS Spring Football kicks off today with McNeese St (Louisiana school in the Southland Conference) taking on Tarleton St. (Texas school in WAC conference).

If you have the Fox Sports Go app you can watch it here: https://a.fsgo.com/rZXPiT98Qdb

McNeese St is lead by head Coach Frank Wilson Louisiana native who spent the last 3 years as HC at UTSA & before that was RB’s coach on Les Miles staff at LSU.

Tarleton State up until 2019 was a DII program in the Lone Star conference & is making it’s debut in D1 football as official members of the WAC. Lead by Coach Todd Whitten who’s been HC there since 2016 & was WR’s coach at UTEP for 3 years before that.

McNeese has the early lead in the 1st quarter 10-3

Serious question: do you have a job in football and if not why

Advertisement
I think FCS Football in the Spring is perfect, it doesn’t make sense to go the whole Spring & early Summer with no Football. With the FBS playing from August/September - December, it makes perfect sense to have the FCS play from Feb/March - May/June.

It also would help FCS players in terms of the Portal, because they could play in the Spring & put on film their ability & enter the Portal in the Summer & get enrolled for a FBS school in the Fall & still have eligibility to play if they wanted to.

Agree would be great for up but in reality. That would almost certainly eliminate the chance anybof them get drafted. No Senior bowl, no combine, no prodays doesn't sound to appealing.

Advertisement
Windchill 15 below zero...Got outta dat bih just in time.

I’m from south Florida, but I was in Dallas for business a few years ago when the temp got down into the teens maybe even close to single digits. I never realized it got that freaking cold in Dallas. Of course I was totally unprepared clothes-wise and basically froze my *** off.

I’m from south Florida, but I was in Dallas for business a few years ago when the temp got down into the teens maybe even close to single digits. I never realized it got that freaking cold in Dallas. Of course I was totally unprepared clothes-wise and basically froze my *** off.
Born and raised in the original 305 and have now lived for over 35 years where winter gets cold. I HATE winter even after all these years. The older I get, the more it hurts.
Quick story. Hadn’t been here 2 months and Christmas Day was 6 below zero. Never been so cold in my life and said to myself WTF am I doing here.

Advertisement
We've had a few kids transfer out to FCS teams lately. I may track them down when bored to see how they do.

I think Deion assembled a pretty good staff considering the circumstances.

He has Michael Pollock as his OC/QB’s coach & he’s a young guy who was coaching HS ball down in Georgia, but he also brought in long time veteran coach Jason Phillips as Co-OC & WR’s coach & he has extensive experience running uptempo spread offenses he was at Houston with Art Briles as WR’s coach, at Baylor with Briles as well, then went back to Houston to be on Kevin Sumlin’s staff, then was at SMU towards the end of the June Jones era, then at Kansas with Dave Beatty, then was at Oregon St with Gary Andersen as the Passing game coordinator & then followed Andersen to Utah State. He’s a smart well versed coach with tons of years in the Air Raid/Spread Offense & can help Pollock a lot.

He also brought in Dennis Thurman as his DC & Thurman actually used to coach Deion before he retired when he played for the Ravens, Coach Thurman was the DB’s coach for the Ravens back in 04-05. He was also Rex Ryan’s DB’s coach for the Jets, back when the Jets had Darrelle Revis & Antonio Cromartie, Thurman is a well respected old school DB’s coach. He’s another experienced veteran coach with long extensive NFL history, that will do well getting the players to buy into the message.

Most people look a Deion as a clownish kinda character, but he’s actually a very smart X’s & O’s guy & was film junkie in terms of his preparation during his career. He started out coaching the Under Armor All-American game for years, then started his own charter school Prime Prep Academy, but then became the OC of Trinity Christian down in Cedar Hill & lead them to 4 straight state titles in Texas in 3 different classifications.

It will all come down to QB play, he got former UF 4-star QB from VA Jalon Jones & he obviously flipped his son Shedeur Sanders from FAU, but Shedeur was actually a 4-star QB who was very productive in HS & was a 3 time state champion. So depending on who he starts out with, they could have a pretty good offense.

Their secondary could be pretty good too, they were able to steal De’Jahn Warren who was a 4-star JUCO Corner that was committed to UGA up until the day of ENSD back in December. He also got Isaiah Bolden in a transfer from FSU, plus they picked up a few more JUCO transfers who were highly coveted.

Idk how well they’ll play, but I’m interested in seeing them, I think if they can figure out the QB situation they might be surprisingly good. But one thing is, the future is looking bright for them because Prime can recruit & he’ll be able to land some good transfers from JUCO & the Portal, after a few years they may be a contending team in the SWAC.
They also picked up kings boy from Houston.

Advertisement

Wonder how it would affect their NFL draft hopes though.....essentially would be sitting out almost 1 year after the final season of eligibility unless they opted to jump as a grad transfer which still is very taxing on the body when you think of playing basically two seasons back to back.

Advertisement
Back