FBI/NCAA Investigation

I've been MIA for a while, so apologies if somebody's already mentioned this, but yahoo recently dropped a story about the FBI investigation, and unsurprisingly, Miami's name came up. Nothing too bad about us, but there's some... "interesting" stuff. Most notably:

Sean Miller: “So, Christian, explain to me the difference in real talk between Brad and Darrell. Who do I focus on?”

Christian Dawkins: “They definitely want to get some [expletive] for themselves because they have been taking care of the kid, and they [expletive] like ...

Miller: “Miami doesn’t have an advantage over us in that area, do they?”

Dawkins: “Well, I’ll say this, what Miami does have is Adidas.”

Miller: “Right.”

Full story, since let's be honest, you have nothing better to do right now.

Advertisement
Christian Dawkins has an HBO special that will air soon detailing how he worked with the Feds and became a snitch.
All to do about nothing until Miami loses a game next season and Coach L blames the loss on the FBI investigation causing him not to have a junior class.
Just saying.

Advertisement
Compared to Arizona, Kansas, Louisville and the like, our program is angelic. Would we make use of Adidas "support," whatever that might mean? I wouldn't be all that surprised. You'd be derelict to not take advantage.

The shoe companies clearly do not promote strong ethics but ... every program of any note whatsoever is allied with them. Lie down with mangy dogs, don't be surprised you get an infestation of fleas. Money rules!

Christian Dawkins has an HBO special that will air soon detailing how he worked with the Feds and became a snitch.
All to do about nothing until Miami loses a game next season and Coach L blames the loss on the FBI investigation causing him not to have a junior class.
Just saying.
Am DVRing that HBO special coming up.

"Moral of the story: fvck the NCAA." Truer words never been spoken.

But in all reality that was really good. A lot of detail there. I didn't follow the original investigation other than it taking one of our recruiting classes; the Nassir Little class.

It seems like the FBI royally screwed up their NCAA investigation like the NCAA screwed up our Shapiro case. It's amazing the FBI poured all those resources into bringing down college coaching corruption to not charge anybody besides Dawkins and a couple replaceable assistants, and ADIDAS reps.

I didn't realize the FBI had Miller and Wade on the wire talking about their offers and what they need to do to land recruits and they're both still coaching right now. I bet some LSU and Arizona supporters high up in the government got word about those two being the FBI's crosshairs and shut that shi' down real quick.

Also, not surprisingly, the NCAA does nothing despite the evidence in front of them. It just proves again the NCAA has selective enforcement when it comes to following their rules. The moneymakers get to do whatever the fvck they want and the NCAA while occasionally drop the hammer on a sacrificial lamb like Missouri or Ole Miss.

Advertisement
After watching "The Scheme" I can tell you this. There is no way under any circumstance that I would want Rick Pitino to coach the University of Miami basketball team.
Rick Pitino and Andy Miller are the focus of this entire situation but the FBI does not have enough evidence on them to bring charges.

After watching "The Scheme" I can tell you this. There is no way under any circumstance that I would want Rick Pitino to coach the University of Miami basketball team.
Rick Pitino and Andy Miller are the focus of this entire situation but the FBI does not have enough evidence on them to bring charges.
First, I'd take Pitino here in a second. I bet as soon as he's allowed to coach D1 again he ends up at a mid-major at least.

Regarding Wade and Miller and not having charges brought against them, I'm of the belief that the FBI does have evidence. I just believe some legislators were encouraged by boosters to force the FBI to bury the investigation. We heard Wade and Miller talking about strong "offers" they made recruits. Now, they didn't outright say I offered X-recruit $125k a year to come here, but it can be inferred. I know assumptions aren't enough to hold up in court, but I also think those probably weren't the worst recordings of Miller and Wade the FBI has.

I'm sure there's another call where Dawkins tells Miller or Wade, "ADIDAS is offering this recruit $100k to play here, can you beat that?" This whole thing is shady and the FBI burying doesn't smell right. Dawins' lawyer mentioned the Southern District doesn't bring charges unless they know they're gonna get convictions. I think boosters in Arizona and Louisiana threw some weight around to get the cases against Miller and Wade buried.

First, I'd take Pitino here in a second. I bet as soon as he's allowed to coach D1 again he ends up at a mid-major at least.

Regarding Wade and Miller and not having charges brought against them, I'm of the belief that the FBI does have evidence. I just believe some legislators were encouraged by boosters to force the FBI to bury the investigation. We heard Wade and Miller talking about strong "offers" they made recruits. Now, they didn't outright say I offered X-recruit $125k a year to come here, but it can be inferred. I know assumptions aren't enough to hold up in court, but I also think those probably weren't the worst recordings of Miller and Wade the FBI has.

I'm sure there's another call where Dawkins tells Miller or Wade, "ADIDAS is offering this recruit $100k to play here, can you beat that?" This whole thing is shady and the FBI burying doesn't smell right. Dawins' lawyer mentioned the Southern District doesn't bring charges unless they know they're gonna get convictions. I think boosters in Arizona and Louisiana threw some weight around to get the cases against Miller and Wade buried.
He's right in stating the southern district doesn't bring up charges without a gaurenteed conviction of some sort. Feds in general are very conservative due to budget and the cost of prosecution. Budget is affected by their conviction rate.

Advertisement
Back