Favorite underrated Miami-FSU game?

Notsince1985

Retired staff
Premium
Don't throw out 2000 or 2002 or 1991 or 1992. Those were classics. I'm talking about the under the radar games that rarely get talked about.

I'll go with 1983

People forget that we were down 16-7 late to FSU on the road. We were ranked #6 , it was the last game of the season for us. They were 7-2 and unranked. We came back and won it on a last second FG. Lose that and no OB win over Nebraska. No first national title. Who knows what happens in the 80s and to the program later on.

Both teams were 6-1. We were 11th, they were 10th. Again in Tally. They had embarrassed us 38-3 in the OB in 84. We go up there and they are up 24-14 on us. They blocked 2 punts in a row. Literally in a row. Like, one was called back on a penalty and then we punted again and they still blocked it. Vincent catches fire, burns them, and we win 35-27, win out, rise to #2 before laying a ******* egg against Tennessee in the Sugar Bowl.

We were the defending national champs, but they were 4-0 and ranked #2 . They also had beaten us in 89 in Tally. We already had a loss in 1990, getting embarrassed by the Mormons in Provo 28-21 when Erickson threw like 20 INTs in the endzone. We were ranked 9th, no one was giving us much of chance and we raced out to a 24-0 lead and won 31-22. We ran for over 300 yards against them. McGuire had 176. Conley was over 100 too. One of my favorite games.

Advertisement
[video=youtube_share;3Wwp858mKlk]https://youtu.be/3Wwp858mKlk[/video]

One of the first games I ever saw as a little kid.

2007 - Back and forth all game. Down 6 mid-way through the 3rd, we run a fake fg for a TD. Then with 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter down 5 points, Kirby Freeman lead a comback drive against FSU. Yes, Kirby Freeman.

[video=youtube;OtV8W2DOovk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtV8W2DOovk[/video]

88 is a great one.

The 89 SHOULD have been a great one - we would have smacked them - had Erickson been healthy.

The sean Taylor rain game was also a classic.

Advertisement
88 is a great one.

The 89 SHOULD have been a great one - we would have smacked them - had Erickson been healthy.

The sean Taylor rain game was also a classic.

Yeah I think Torreta threw 5 or 6 pics that night. Carter putting flag on Bernard Clarks head was a classic.

2007 - Back and forth all game. Down 6 mid-way through the 3rd, we run a fake fg for a TD. Then with 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter down 5 points, Kirby Freeman lead a comback drive against FSU. Yes, Kirby Freeman.

[video=youtube;OtV8W2DOovk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtV8W2DOovk[/video]

I was at this game. The fake FG, Kirby playing the game of his entire life. Neither team was that good but it was a great game to be in the stands for.

2002 I was watching the game Had to leave for my sons game and I kept waiting. Finally left on the INT with like 9 minutes left down 27-14 thinking we lost. Didn't know until I got home hours later we had won.

Advertisement
I actually think our last victory against them was an underrated game. It had everything you've come to expect from this series.

Lead changes. Special team impact. A frenetic finish. Insnae speed on both sidelines. Playmakers stepping up.

More than anything else, it's the last time I truly felt our players understood what was at stake and performed as such. We'll see this Saturday if that changes.

2003 rain game, 2004 Orange Bowl, 2004 Regular season OT game. Those were all awesome games to watch. The '04 reg season game got so loud when Sinorice caught that screen and started inside and bounced outside to tie it. Place went nuts.

I love that game. Almost put it too. Loudest moment I ever experienced at the OB was Carlos Jones' pick 6. Sophomore year of HS. I got so ******* drunk after that game (allegedly).

Advertisement
2003 rain game, 2004 Orange Bowl, 2004 Regular season OT game. Those were all awesome games to watch. The '04 reg season game got so loud when Sinorice caught that screen and started inside and bounced outside to tie it. Place went nuts.

The 2004 game was a ******, ****** game until the last 5 minutes. Then, **** got real.

I love that game. Almost put it too. Loudest moment I ever experienced at the OB was Carlos Jones' pick 6. Sophomore year of HS. I got so ****ing drunk after that game (allegedly).

That's the game where I learned what The U meant to the S. Florida community. My mother who HATES SPORTS (and like my father, isn't even from Miami) was extra excited after this game. It was actually the first time I ever heard her talk about sports to her friends. The sense of civic pride was something I hadn't quite experienced until that moment (granted, I was still a child).

I love that game. Almost put it too. Loudest moment I ever experienced at the OB was Carlos Jones' pick 6. Sophomore year of HS. I got so ****ing drunk after that game (allegedly).

This, the **** OB was literally rocking after that play

Advertisement

The 2004 game was a ****ty, ****ty game until the last 5 minutes. Then, **** got real.

Yea it was bad football. It was first home game as a student at UM. Been to plenty before that growing up. I remember it pretty vividly because of the student aspect. We had a lot of **** games that year that turned around. Thursday night UL comes to mind.

The 2004 game was a ****ty, ****ty game until the last 5 minutes. Then, **** got real.

Yea it was bad football. It was first home game as a student at UM. Been to plenty before that growing up. I remember it pretty vividly because of the student aspect. We had a lot of **** games that year that turned around. Thursday night UL comes to mind.

No way! That was my first game as a UM student also! That OT win was one of my greatest experiences ever at the OB - it was rocking that night!

I was 12 years old, sitting in the WEZ and still remember not being able to hear myself think. This game has a special place in my heart. By far the loudest game I have ever attended. To me, this my personal favorite Miami/FSU game ever because the OB was magical that night.

As far as "underrated," I have to go with 2007 or 2009. Those games were crazy victories.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back