Favorite player that was recruited at one position but played another...

Advertisement
Anybody remember the story about Jim Kelly? Joe Pa wanted him at LB at Penn State. Came to Miami to play QB and we all know how that ended!
Ever hear the one about Marshall Faulk? We wanted him at DB. Went to SDSU amd turned out to be okay at RB.

/probably would have been a first ballot HOFer at DB also

Last edited:
Sapp...some people dont realize how super dominant this guy was. A DT that was at the Heisman trophy presentation and came in 5th iirc...not a DB or a LB....but basically a nose tackle. Won the Lombardi and Nagurski award among other awards. CFB HOF... Later Dominated the NFL...won a SB ring and a First Ballot NFL HOF. Dude is all time
There was a lot of talk about him being the first pick in the draft until rumors if failed drug tests came out. One owner said even Ray Charles could see Sapp was the best player in the draft.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Dude played lb from the day he played. Dont see him as a position switch.
He has said he played safety in HS and wanted to play it in college. I’m fairly sure he said he was recruited as safety. Up until a few years ago, my life was way to busy to focus on recruiting too much, so I would not put money on it.

Mine is of course the one and only Warren Sapp who was recruited as a TE before being moved to the defensive line....
He’s actually the best Cane to switch positions I believe but too bad he’s such a jerk as a human being.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Anybody remember the story about Jim Kelly? Joe Pa wanted him at LB at Penn State. Came to Miami to play QB and we all know how that ended!

Beat me to it.
Sentimental favorite right here.
Fellow frosh classman, fall '78.

Advertisement
Back