Favorite FSU pictures

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG_f1GzmwHo[/video]
When: In 2001, the number one ranked Miami Hurricanes led FSU 21-13 at halftime, but senior safety Ed Reed felt his team’s effort wasn’t up to par, so he delivered this heartfelt speech before the team ran out of the tunnel. Miami went undefeated that year and won the National Championship.
Memorable Line: “I’m hurt, dog. Don’t ask me if I’m all right. **** naw!”

The speech has become as much a part of University of Miami football folklore as national championships and All-Americans.

In 2001, the top-ranked Hurricanes led Florida State 21-13 at halftime. After coach Larry Coker addressed the team, safety Ed Reed took it one step further because he felt UM wasn't playing with enough emotion.

"I'm hurt, dawg; don't ask me if I'm all right," Reed said as the team prepared to take the field. "****, naw. [Offensive tackle] Joaquin [Gonzalez] said, 'Dominate,' and we're not doing it. I'm putting my heart in this [expletive]. Let's go, man."

The Hurricanes erupted for 28 points in the third quarter on the way to a 49-27 victory. The speech has become the signature moment of Reed's time at UM, but it hardly defined his career.

After setting the school's career mark for interception, he became the NFL's top safety and is the choice for the No. 1 football player among the top 25 in UM history.

The proof is in the numbers.

Reed has been selected to six Pro Bowls since being drafted by the Baltimore Ravens in 2002. He was the 2004 NFL Defensive Player of the Year and is considered one of the league's most dominant defenders.

Some analysts are calling him the best to play the safety position.

What sets him apart is leadership.

He had a chance to leave UM after his junior season, but stayed because he wanted to win a national championship. That season, he intercepted nine passes, surpassing Bennie Blades for the most in school history (21). He had two key interceptions in a 26-24 victory against Virginia Tech that clinched a berth in the Rose Bowl, where the Hurricanes beat Nebraska for the national title.

"What a great leader he is," Coker said after the victory against the Hokies. "Before we played Washington, the players had some skits and things — kind of making fun of the coaches. Guys were having a great time, and I sort of had him alone and he said, `You know, Coach; that's why I came back.'

"Edward Reed came back and has a chance to play for a national championship. And that's what this is all about."

GOAT for sure!

Advertisement
6735495.jpg

Advertisement
FSu_2007.jpg

Miami's Darnell Jenkins hauls in a 69 yard pass in front of FSU safety Roger Williams that set up a first quarter touchdown during the FSU vs Miami NCAA football game at Bobby Bowden field in Doak S. Campbell stadium in Tallahassee, Florida October 19, 2007.

Last edited:
FSu_2007.jpg

Miami's Darnell Jenkins hauls in a 69 yard pass in front of FSU safety Roger Williams that set up a first quarter touchdown during the FSU vs Miami NCAA football game at Bobby Bowden field in Doak S. Campbell stadium in Tallahassee, Florida October 19, 2007.

I remember this play. It was unusual for Kyle Wright to complete any pass longer than like 12 yards.

2009: Miami defeats Florida State Seminoles 38-34 in Tallahassee September 7, 2009.

fsu_20092.jpg

Miami linebacker Darryl Sharpton (5) delivers a hard hit on FSU wide receiver Rod Owens (86)in the second half.

fsu20092.jpg

Miami running back Graig Cooper celebrates.

Javarris-James.jpg

Miami (FL) running back Javarris James (5) scores a second quarter touchdown to put Miami in the lead.

Miami+v+Florida+State+Xlp7UJRg94Ul.jpg

Defensive back Sam Shields #9 of the Miami Hurricanes knocks the ball away from wide receiver Rod Owens #86 of the Florida State Seminoles during a goal line stand late in the fourth quarter.

Miami+v+Florida+State+FgXW-MJ0STvl.jpg

Linebacker Darryl Sharpton #50 of the Miami Hurricanes brings down running back Ty Jones #33.

FSU-vs-Miami-32-mw-090709.jpg

Miami linebacker Arthur Brown brings down FSU's Vincent Zann after Sann scooped up an onside kick in the second half.

tdcblog090809.jpg

UM’s Jason Fox blocks FSU’s Nigel Carr as Graig Cooper runs through the attempted tackle of Nigel Bradham to score the game winning touchdown during Miami’s 38-34 comeback victory over the Seminoles last night in Tallahassee.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back