Fat Manny's new blog

The pieces do seem to all come together. Wondering now if ICE has been bad mouthing us to his kids.

Signs were there but most of us just lied to ourselves. When a kids OV is.in the middle of the week between his USC OV and his upcoming FSU OV and he just happens to squeeze you in its not a good sign. Wish the kid would have just let the staff know that it wasnt gonna happen.

Even without hearing goldens side I can tell what golden did was on the up and up. He gave the kid a chance to commit. And im willing to bet barrow didnt say commit or your done. So kirkland probably had a couple chances during that meeting to go to his "dream school" and didnt take it.

Im willing to bet the staff have probably had a good fell that Thomas was gone weeks ago. Which is why we were still offering Lbs when we already had two commited, 1 likely, and Thomas out there. I told people here there was NO WAY we were going to sign FIVE Linebackers in one small class. Soon as this kid took the USC visit and just managed to "squeeze us in" for a midweek OV, I knew it was ballgame. U dont do that to a program you are serious about. You would want to come and meet your potential teammates, other recruits, etc. I dont think he was ever serious about staying in SoFla.

Maybe this is where cristobal and coley come in. They recruit south florida maybe for certain schools

Advertisement
Having fat manny cover UM for the Herald is like having a warchant writer covering UM for the Herald.

At least Dieter is level-headed:

By Dieter Kurtenbach, Sun Sentinel 12:40 a.m. EST, February 1, 2013

Booker T. Washington's Denver Kirkland is one of Florida's best offensive line prospects, and he looked set to sign with the Miami Hurricanes on National Singing Day.
But the Hurricanes are no longer interested in his services.
Kirkland saw his offer pulled by Miami Thursday, and no clear reason has been provided as to why it happened.
Booker T coaches are blasting Miami coaches, fans are choosing sides, and a cacophony of opinion isn't doing anything to help expedite the presentation of the facts.
The only question that should to be asked is why Al Golden doesn't want Kirkland.
But do you really need an answer?
To insinuate that Al Golden made a mistake by pulling Kirland's offer is to imply that Golden doesn't know what he's doing on the recruiting trail. That has been proved wrong — enthusiastically — during the coach's tenure.
If Golden opted to pull the scholarship of a highly-ranked player who he had recruited heavily and theoretically had locked up, you better believe he had a good reason. It's that, or he's the most inept recruiter in the nation.
We'll have to wait until Kirkland signs with another team — possibly Miami rival FSU — to find out what that reason was. Likelihood is that we will probably never get the real reasoning. Frankly, it doesn't matter — Golden had already identified that a Kirkland-Miami union wouldn't have worked.
Golden should have Miami fans' benefit of the doubt, not an 18-year-old kid who can't seem to answer a straightforward question without confusion.

Booker T. Washington's Denver Kirkland is one of Florida's best offensive line prospects, and he looked set to sign with the Miami Hurricanes on National Singing Day.
Kirkland saw his offer pulled by Miami Thursday, and no clear reason has been provided as to why it happened.
Booker T coaches are blasting Miami coaches, fans are choosing sides, and a cacophony of opinion isn't doing anything to help expedite the presentation of the facts.
The only question that should to be asked is why Al Golden doesn't want Kirkland.
To insinuate that Al Golden made a mistake by pulling Kirland's offer is to imply that Golden doesn't know what he's doing on the recruiting trail. That has been proved wrong — enthusiastically — during the coach's tenure.
If Golden opted to pull the scholarship of a highly-ranked player who he had recruited heavily and theoretically had locked up, you better believe he had a good reason. It's that, or he's the most inept recruiter in the nation.
We'll have to wait until Kirkland signs with another team — possibly Miami rival FSU — to find out what that reason was. Likelihood is that we will probably never get the real reasoning. Frankly, it doesn't matter — Golden had already identified that a Kirkland-Miami union wouldn't have worked.
Golden should have Miami fans' benefit of the doubt, not an 18-year-old kid who can't seem to answer a straightforward question without confusion.

As someone on another board pointed out, this reasoning is bull ****. He is basically saying there is no middle ground here. The best recruiters can make mistakes. That doesnt mean this is a mistake. But the logic sucks. So you are either a great recruiter or a moran? Thats stupid.

As someone on another board pointed out, this reasoning is bull ****. He is basically saying there is no middle ground here. The best recruiters can make mistakes. That doesnt mean this is a mistake. But the logic sucks. So you are either a great recruiter or a moran? Thats stupid.

If this was some kind of "mistake", then that reasoning is sound. I think that is the point he is trying to prove. He is saying that Golden didnt just **** up, he had his reasoning.

Advertisement

If this was some kind of "mistake", then that reasoning is sound. I think that is the point he is trying to prove. He is saying that Golden didnt just **** up, he had his reasoning.

I get that too. But if he goes on to win the Outland trophy and become a top 5 pick then it was a makor mistake which every coach makes. It can definitely be a mistake regardless of the reasoning he used to pull the scholarship. Which from everything I have read, I am on Golden's side in this spot. I just don't think you have to be a moron to make a miscalculation which like I said, this could end up being.

I get that too. But if he goes on to win the Outland trophy and become a top 5 pick then it was a makor mistake which every coach makes. It can definitely be a mistake regardless of the reasoning he used to pull the scholarship. Which from everything I have read, I am on Golden's side in this spot. I just don't think you have to be a moron to make a miscalculation which like I said, this may end up being.

Im with you. There isnt a **** poster on this entire board that has any idea of what is going on or what went down. Thus, we can only support Golden until this proves to be a mistake.

Why is it that Manny is always first in line to report negative **** against the U???

Anyone notice the likeness between Manny and Ronaiah Tuiasosopo? And that they are never in the same place at the same time? Just sayin'
18.jpg

19.jpg

[h=3][/h]

Pretty sure this hasn't been posted, though the billboard has already been discussed. He's seriously increasing his level of ***gotry, by the day.

Manny_Navarro Manny Navarro 14h
Finally got it. Photo of #Alabama billboard right across street from Booker T. Washington High pic.twitter.com/BFVOWPNG
Details Reply Retweet Favorite

Last edited:
Advertisement
Only in ******* miami does the local media consistently attack the home team. :ohlord:

**** that fat **** and everyone else thats attacking miami. I really hope the coaches and players feed of this **** to destroy every team they play and **** on the media, local coaches and all the people acting like soft shouldered ******* cause the program has been down.

Only in ******* miami does the local media consistently attack the home team. :ohlord:

**** that fat **** and everyone else thats attacking miami. I really hope the coaches and players feed of this **** to destroy every team they play and **** on the media, local coaches and all the people acting like soft shouldered ******* cause the program has been down.

Mammy navarro is a huge comemierda. F him and the herald

Read this on TOS...... Take it FWIW:

I don't know the whole situation but I know a good bit.* He was one of two recruits that, during that big recruiting weekend the coaches didn't like his attitude all that much.* And they have been thinking about making him commit or pulling his offer for a little while now.* They just wanted to kiss his *** while they still had a shot at Thomas.* I think once they knew they didn't have Thomas the Kirkland *** kissing stopped and it was put up or shut up time.

Thoughts? If true, no need for the total meltdown imo.

I don't know the whole situation but I know a good bit.* He was one of two recruits that, during that big recruiting weekend the coaches didn't like his attitude all that much.* And they have been thinking about making him commit or pulling his offer for a little while now.* They just wanted to kiss his *** while they still had a shot at Thomas.* I think once they knew they didn't have Thomas the Kirkland *** kissing stopped and it was put up or shut up time.

Which TOS....we don't use "TOS" here...just name the site.

Advertisement

What I keep thinking is Coley came in and told AG that 6 is not coming to UM. At that point AG isn't willing to play the hat game with DK any more because DK was little more than the bait being used to land 6. They obviously were never that big on DK and something at the OV made them question whether it was worth holding a spot. I don't think the staff did anything wrong.

Btw,, this timeline is off...by all accounts, the in-home with MT took place after the DK offer pull. They met with the kids and families at the school in the morning. BTW parade, Barrow tells DK commit or we're moving on, and then in-home with MT later that night.

The logic is sound, timeline does't fit though. MT is still in play.

There seems to be a lot of members in this thread that are trashing the program, what the **** is that all about! It's seems when things are looking up we have plenty of Canes, but when one thing goes wrong we have doubters and haters. If you don't like it become an FIU fan, if not stand by the CANES!

Advertisement
Well IMHO to their credit they aren't giving up on Thomas but there is a very good chance he won't be at Miami, and if so he'll be forgotten (as far as Miami's football program is concerned) as quickly as any other talented South Florida kid who acted like they represented e city but truly didn't.

i just can't read his work. all i can think about is a photo of the author in the top left corner that looks like a mug shot of a dude rocking his chain
who is too stoned to remember to practice looking hard in the picture.

So, ICE gave Kirkland bad advice, ASSUMED and told DK UM would wait, ASSUMED he controlled the situation with DK, ASSUMED DK could take his time, play the game and wait till NSD, ASSUMED he had the pull with UM to call those shots. ICE was wrong and the whole blow up was to save face by throwing UM under the bus when the issue was caused by his own crappy advice to his own player.

I posted that twice yesterday.

Sometimes you just need to talk things out.

In the case of Booker T. Washington offensive lineman Denver Kirkland, coach Tim "Ice" Harris and the University of Miami it appears better communication between the parties involved could have prevented some hurt feelings and an ugly situation. But a day later, after a night to sleep on things, I can tell you UM hasn't poisoned itself in Overtown or burned any bridges permanently. There are grown ups involved here. Lessons have been learned.

For starters I spent about 30 minutes this afternoon chatting up Ice Harris and his son, offensive coordinator Tim Harris Jr., to get the real story of what might have gone wrong here. Ice told me afterward he didn't want to be quoted other than to say "I don't want to beat a dead horse." But without knowing UM's side of the story here -- coaches aren't allowed to discuss recruits publicly -- here is what I gathered from the situation:

Kirkland, a 6-5, 333-pound All-American offensive lineman, obviously wasn't the big fish UM was hoping to catch at Booker T. All-American linebacker Matthew Thomas, a consensus five-star recruit, has always been the guy Miami has gone after at Booker T. first and foremost. When Al Golden visited Booker T. on Thursday afternoon with a couple of his assistants he spent an hour and a half with Thomas and 10 minutes with Kirkland.

Don't mistake for a second Booker T. coaches aren't aware Thomas is the guy everybody in the country wants or that Kirkland isn't "a shade below" Thomas in terms of being in the same league. Kirkland, Harris Jr. told me, didn't get a Miami offer until this past summer, after he had attended UM's camp.

But this is where the communication break down begins. In the eyes of Booker T.'s coaches, who spend every day with their players, there was no difference between Kirkland and Thomas. Once they got an offer from a school, they assumed schools were willing to go the distance with them -- all the way up until Signing Day -- to wait for a commitment.

Ice Harris, having spent three years on Randy Shannon's staff at UM, is well aware of the recruiting game. He understands schools can pull scholarship offers and go in another direction if things change. Recruiting is a fluid game that changes from second to second. Ice Harris knows offers aren't guaranteed. He just never imagined in his wildest dreams -- not after Al Golden visited Booker T. Washington and spent time with both players Thursday -- that Miami was considering pulling Kirkland's scholarship. Why? Because there was no talk of a deadline according to them.

"They might have told him it was getting a little tight for them or he needed to give them an assurance, but he wasn't ready to do that," Harris Jr. said. "But we told them -- told assistant Micheal Barrow -- we felt strongly he was going to go there. He just had to go through the process and make sure he was going to go there."

Why did Kirkland need more time? Because according to Booker T.'s staff, other college coaches were still coming in to talk to Kirkland. After Golden and his staff walked out the door Thursday, Harris said Jimbo Fisher and FSU was waiting to talk to Kirkland. Like it or not, it's a process. And now we know why. Because at any moment a school can decide to change directions -- the same way athletes can. Recruiting is fluid.

Harris and Booker T.'s players just never expected to be jolted like that, especially not when they were telling Barrow it looked better for UM that they would land Kirkland than it did as far as netting Thomas. And maybe in the end, that wasn't good enough for Miami.

Maybe, Canes coaches thought Kirkland wasn't going to Miami (maybe new offensive coordinator James Coley had some better insight into the situation). Or, it really was a numbers crunch and UM knows it has other top tier recruits as silent commitments. Maybe the Canes just don't have room for an All-American offensive lineman because they've got six or seven other blue-chip talents in the bag.

Still, it's just odd the way all this went down. For six months Miami wanted Denver Kirkland. Then six days before National Signing Day they decided they didn't want him anymore. I guess if you have six or seven better players you know for sure you are getting it makes sense to make room, toss out the trash.

But if you don't know that for sure then why do this? Why surprise a two-time state championship winning coach by yanking a scholarship away from one of his best players after you've told him for six months you want him and he's told you that you are likely to get him?

And that's where the confusion lies on Booker T.'s side. Ice Harris trusted his word to Barrow was good enough, that it was infiltrating the offices at UM and that the offer Kirkland had wasn't going to vanish. He still trusts Barrow, insisting he's " a great guy and the way he recruited his players is the right way." Ice Harris said his conversation with Barrow Friday morning "went well" and both sides are "trying to smooth things over."

It's the guys making the decisions down in Coral Gables, inside the offices, Ice Harris isn't sure about. After all, if Golden was already at Booker T. Thursday morning why not tell Kirkland yourself the bad news? Why send Barrow back to do it after a championship parade?

"I don't think the relationship as a whole between Miami and Booker T. is ruined," said Tim Harris Jr., a UM grad and former track star. "You have to look at every situation differently. I think everybody here can all agree this situation was handled bad and us being a pipeline here in the backyard of UM it shouldn't have come to this. But all of us here are professionals and I don't think anyone here wants to give the idea we would steer kids away from the University of Miami. If anything, we're just going to have to ask more questions. When they come in and say you have an offer we're going to ask 'Is there a deadline?' That goes for all schools. At the end of the day, UM is my school, it always will be. But I'm a coach here at Booker T. and we're here to protect the kids and keep them away from having something like this happen to them. So we will be smarter. We've learned a lesson."

And now, maybe, Miami will learns a lesson, too.

Star linebacker Matthew Thomas is still very much in play for the Canes. Harris assured me of that. UM coaches were with him last night in his home -- after they broke his teammate's heart. Thomas was shocked to hear what happened with Kirkland, Harris said. But he hasn't ruled the Canes out -- at least not as of noon Friday.

Then again, UM has never been the program at the top of Thomas' list. The way Harris Jr. explained it to me, Thomas didn't really care about Miami, didn't want to go there for most of the season. When Barrow or UM coaches would call him, Harris Jr. said, he wouldn't answer. It wasn't until Harris and his assistants urged him to open his ears and at least hear what UM had to offer that Thomas really began to listen. Florida State, they say, had always been Thomas' quiet leader. Now, USC is involved "and making a strong late push." Alabama has been in the mix, too.

Does UM really have a chance to get Thomas?

"Yeah they've got a chance," Harris Jr. said. "But it's not like Denver. We honestly don't know where he wants to go. It was FSU for a long time and now it's anybody's guess. I think we all feel like we're going to be surprised on Wednesday."

For Miami's sake, let's hope that surprise isn't like the one Kirkland got Thursday afternoon. That one stung.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umia...as-still-in-play-for-canes.html#storylink=cpy

There seems to be a lot of writers for the Herald that are trashing the program, what the **** is that all about! It's seems when things are looking up we have plenty of haters, but when one thing goes wrong we have overweight columnists jumping for joy."

Absolutely true

Advertisement
Back