Falling standards

Couldn’t agree more, we can’t keep putting the cart before the horse. Yes, we “had” great teams but that seems like eternity ago. If, IF, we can squeeze out 10 wins this season I would be amazed. That means two losses; 1 either in the OOS game (possibly MSU) and 1 Coastal loss. That’s a tall order to improve by 4 games but I believe in Lashlee more so to turn this thing around.

To the extent I'd be amazed with a 10 win season this year, it's only because Manny is a bad coach and I can't imagine him getting 10 wins.

It really has nothing to do with the impressiveness of 10 wins.

Advertisement
South Florida was a lot less populated in those days.
Population has nothing to do with it. The U was all there was until the Phins came to town in '66. There was no FAU, FIU, UCF, USF, etc. We were then, and are still to this day, a small, private university that doesn't have the resources the "powerhouse" programs have. Those "powerhouse" programs had, and still have, far less populations around campus than the U. The big difference is their student populations and alumni base far outweigh the U.

Population has nothing to do with it. The U was all there was until the Phins came to town in '66. There was no FAU, FIU, UCF, USF, etc. We were then, and are still to this day, a small, private university that doesn't have the resources the "powerhouse" programs have. Those "powerhouse" programs had, and still have, far less populations around campus than the U. The big difference is their student populations and alumni base far outweigh the U.

The recruiting potential in Florida was a lot less before the 1980s.

Circa 2005, 3 losses= half the staff fired at Miami

Circa 2017, 3 losses= a season that 90% of the fanbase considers a big success

Circa 2029, 3 losses= what? A justification for a 25 year coaching extension?
18B0B968-EB53-4F87-A6D8-50CDB02C0E99.gif

Advertisement
The recruiting potential in Florida was a lot less before the 1980s.
No doubt. Most of the roster before then was made up by OOS guys. As the population exploded in the late '70's, Schnelly realized it and capitalized on it. Nowadays, every program in the SE and beyond realizes the available talent in SFL and poaches players all the time - we all know this. There IS enough talent available in SFL to make us competitive and we're able to recruit nationally as well due to our recent history of success and the brand that's been established.
That being said, we're still a small, private school trying to compete with the large state schools with what seems unlimited resources.

Circa 2005, 3 losses= half the staff fired at Miami

Circa 2017, 3 losses= a season that 90% of the fanbase considers a big success

Circa 2029, 3 losses= what? A justification for a 25 year coaching extension?
We’re gonna have 3 losses in 2029??

SWEEEEET!!! Looks like we’re on the right track after all, boys!!!

Advertisement
To the extent I'd be amazed with a 10 win season this year, it's only because Manny is a bad coach and I can't imagine him getting 10 wins.

It really has nothing to do with the impressiveness of 10 wins.
If 2017 Richt could get 10 wins, anyone can. Even manny.

Advertisement
Back