Official Fall PractiSe #9 Monday Aug 15

Imma just say this, & be through w/ it:

I know majority of us on here have been long time Canes fans. We know what Canes football is supposed to look & feel like. I made an OP months ago when Mario was hired, trying to temper expectations so ppl don’t jump down Mario’s throat if we have some struggles.

I’m painfully re-watching this Miami vs. UVA & the vast majority of the guys in this game will be suiting up game 1. There was a reason TVD kept force feeding Rambo.

I know Miami went 7-5, but in reality, the roster was closer to 5-7 than 7-5. I have legit concerns b/c it’s really hard to change culture in a short window. If anyone can, it would be Mario, but don’t dismiss these reports.

We for sure have some talent, but we need an infusion of talent. We need a higher ratio of guys who are top 15 at their position, not top 20-30.

Just for measures (not including JUCO)-

2016 class:
Miami: 26% of the class was top 15 players
UGA: 36%
Bama: 58%
Clemson: 38%
OSU: 67%

2017 class:
Miami: 24%
UGA: 48%
Bama: 83%
Clemson: 43%
OSU: 71%

2018 class:
Miami: 52%
UGA: 71%
Bama: 62%
Clemson: 76%
OSU: 73%

2019:
Miami: 17%
UGA: 63%
Bama: 89%
OSU: 47%

2020:
Miami: 38%
UGA: 64%
Bama: 52%
Clemson: 65%
OSU: 52%

2021:
Miami: 30%
UGA: 50%
Bama: 70%
Clemson: 61%
OSU: 83%

Don’t get caught up on stars or class rankings; yes, they give an indicator, but u need to get caught up on the quality of the stars we recruit. I liken stars to diamonds; a diamond is a diamond, but it’s the clarity, cut, polish that makes a diamond more valuable. We’ve had classes full of lower quality diamonds, hence why we’ve struggled w/ the likes of the ACC Coastal. Our diamonds have been no better than a high quality CZ. I did a break down of the “#1 2008 class” showing that class ranking is one factor, but we need to look at the avg. recruiting score to get more of a sense of the class. Recruiting scores also let u know, the level of high quality blue chips are in the class.

Now compare that to Mario’s regime thus far:
Class of ‘22: 40%
Class of ‘23: 47% (so far)

Ideally, we want our classes to be no lower than a 48%+ of top 15 players at their position, every class. We’ve seen the ill effects of roster turnover per class, which is y u must stack chips every class. Regardless, I hope this helps some of u to see why The UGAs, Bamas, OSUs, & Clemsons r constantly sniffing the CFP; it’s b/c they recruit, not only blue chips, but highly quality blue chips every yr. Bamas worst yr has been our best yr, & that has to change.

I say all that to give reasonable caution to what we’ve been hearing from camp reports. Yes it’s only practice, but I’m not quite sure we’re at an “iron sharpens iron” level, yet. This team feels more 2016ish, like @DMoney mentioned.
All facts! My worry is, at the positions we seem to be striking out at recruiting wise, a mediocre season won’t help. We need something that will make these DBs/WRs/DTs interested in playing for Mario & Co.

Advertisement
You've got two more units of DL to sub whichever first unit they decide to go with - which is fantastic depth.

But the OL scares me. Add Nelson (we need him back in the worst way), Sagapolu, Denis and maybe Traore and that's about it. Really hoping one of the Freshman can emerge - Cooper, Seymore... somebody.
Nelson comes back. Campbell to RT.

I know majority of us on here have been long time Canes fans. We know what Canes football is supposed to look & feel like. I made an OP months ago when Mario was hired, trying to temper expectations so ppl don’t jump down Mario’s throat if we have some struggles.

I’m painfully re-watching this Miami vs. UVA & the vast majority of the guys in this game will be suiting up game 1. There was a reason TVD kept force feeding Rambo.

I know Miami went 7-5, but in reality, the roster was closer to 5-7 than 7-5. I have legit concerns b/c it’s really hard to change culture in a short window. If anyone can, it would be Mario, but don’t dismiss these reports.

We for sure have some talent, but we need an infusion of talent. We need a higher ratio of guys who are top 15 at their position, not top 20-30.

2016 class:

2017 class:

2018 class:

2019:

2020:

2021:

Don’t get caught up on stars or class rankings; yes, they give an indicator, but u need to get caught up on the quality of the stars we recruit. I liken stars to diamonds; a diamond is a diamond, but it’s the clarity, cut, polish that makes a diamond more valuable. We’ve had classes full of lower quality diamonds, hence why we’ve struggled w/ the likes of the ACC Coastal. Our diamonds have been no better than a high quality CZ. I did a break down of the “#1 2008 class” showing that class ranking is one factor, but we need to look at the avg. recruiting score to get more of a sense of the class. Recruiting scores also let u know, the level of high quality blue chips are in the class.

Ideally, we want our classes to be no lower than a 48%+ of top 15 players at their position, every class. We’ve seen the ill effects of roster turnover per class, which is y u must stack chips every class. Regardless, I hope this helps some of u to see why The UGAs, Bamas, OSUs, & Clemsons r constantly sniffing the CFP; it’s b/c they recruit, not only blue chips, but high quality blue chips every yr. Bamas worst yr has been our best yr, & that has to change.

I say all that to give reasonable caution to what we’ve been hearing from camp reports. Yes it’s only practice, but I’m not quite sure we’re not at an “iron sharpens iron” level, yet. This team feels more 2016ish, like @DMoney mentioned.
**** you and your reasonable post

Advertisement

2016 class:

2017 class:

2018 class:

2019:

2020:

2021:

Ideally, we want our classes to be no lower than a 48%+ of top 15 players at their position, every class. We’ve seen the ill effects of roster turnover per class, which is y u must stack chips every class. Regardless, I hope this helps some of u to see why The UGAs, Bamas, OSUs, & Clemsons r constantly sniffing the CFP; it’s b/c they recruit, not only blue chips, but high quality blue chips every yr. Bamas worst yr has been our best yr, & that has to change.

I say all that to give reasonable caution to what we’ve been hearing from camp reports. Yes it’s only practice, but I’m not quite sure we’re not at an “iron sharpens iron” level, yet. This team feels more 2016ish, like @DMoney mentioned.

Rankings and star ratings are altered by which school a kid commits to and more importantly which school has the most subscribers.

For that your thought process is a little off; now I'm saying what you said is totally false, but it has some issues. Pittsburgh, Wake Forrest, NCSU, Duke, FIU, APP St, and Mich St. or any other school with lower quality kids seems to get things done when playing against "the U".

The problem has been these soft *** kids and the administration not giving a **** about the football program or living off the past for far to long.

These same players in my opinion will show and prove that when you get a head coach, a competent staff and a commitment from the school to be better it will look better and the results will be better!! Just my opinion.

I’m actually not too worried about the wide receivers, for now.

Mario also said the quarterbacks were a work in progress but everybody is raving about TVD. That tells me the staff is assessing things beyond this year’s starters (which is a great thing).

I think it’s pretty obvious Xavier Restrepo and Keyshawn Smith are going to be our top 2 guys. Combine that with 2-3 tight ends, 2 pass-catching running backs, we will be fine. If there is an injury to X or Keyshawn, then yes I’m concerned. Need people to step up.

I’m actually not too worried about the wide receivers, for now.

Mario also said the quarterbacks were a work in progress but everybody is raving about TVD. That tells me the staff is assessing things beyond this year’s starters (which is a great thing).

I think it’s pretty obvious Xavier Restrepo and Keyshawn Smith are going to be our top 2 guys. Combine that with 2-3 tight ends, 2 pass-catching running backs, we will be fine. If there is an injury to X or Keyshawn, then yes I’m concerned. Need people to step up.
I say look for Romello to emerge as the third best

The one bad nugget one week into camp, literally the only thing negative anyone has said, is WRs are having some issues with drops.

CIS:

Benedict Cumberbatch Reaction GIF

More like the multiverse where this version of you is virtually identical to GoCanes. Homer ... But I still love you for your avatar.

Advertisement
Rankings and star ratings are altered by which school a kid commits to and more importantly which school has the most subscribers.

For that your thought process is a little off; now I'm saying what you said is totally false, but it has some issues. Pittsburgh, Wake Forrest, NCSU, Duke, FIU, APP St, and Mich St. or any other school with lower quality kids seems to get things done when playing against "the U".

The problem has been these soft *** kids and the administration not giving a **** about the football program or living off the past for far to long.

These same players in my opinion will show and prove that when you get a head coach, a competent staff and a commitment from the school to be better it will look better and the results will be better!! Just my opinion.

Listen bro; I appreciate ur response, but this is a chicken or egg theory.

I know how rankings work, & yes they can be subjective, but a kid who’s #1 at his position is not going to drop to #27 at his position due to him to committing to school A vs. school B. Travis Hunter remained the #1 player at his position despite committing to JSU, & Kevin Coleman remained the #9 WR despite the same situation, two recent examples to debunk that theory.

Offers, the prestige of offers, camp invites, camp reports, in season performances, etc. all play a role in the formula of a recruit’s ranking. The problem w/ our fan base is the tendency to move the goal post to fit a kool-aid narrative. One minute it’s “we don’t have enough talent” to justify the short comings of a coach they like, yet the next minute (which is February - August), it’s “we don’t care about stars, everyone is elite, I trust the evals, 15-0 baybay (in my Adam Cole’s voice), & 10-2 is our floor.”

It’s a cyclical behavioral pattern among this fan base. I’m not discounting this team not having talent, obviously we do; but, we’ve bled through some classes via attrition or guys not panning out. In order to keep up w/ the standard of CFB, we need to be at that elite level, & elite is a roster full of guys top 15 at their position in the nation. The overwhelming data proves this. Yes, there’s cute Cinderella stories of WF, UC, Pitt, UDub, Mich St that makes CFB any given Saturday, but those cute stories ain’t winning chips. The slipper comes off b/c it was one size, w/ their coaching allowing for a feel good story.

We’re Miami; I can give two fcks about a feel good story, bro. We’re the new age blue blood, & the old blue bloods r showing & proving that u need high quality blue chips. These recruiting services r not perfect, but **** it if they ain’t accurate of the teams that’s consistently winning 10+ games, playing in NY6 games, or sniffing the CFP (yearly).

2016 class:

2017 class:

2018 class:

2019:

2020:

2021:

I say all that to give reasonable caution to what we’ve been hearing from camp reports. Yes it’s only practice, but I’m not quite sure we’re at an “iron sharpens iron” level, yet. This team feels more 2016ish, like @DMoney mentioned.

QFT. And that 50% that is not comprised of Top 15 kids at each position better be made up of athletic freaks who are valid projects, not Tre Johnsons and Zack Dykstras.

Advertisement
More like the multiverse where this version of you is virtually identical to GoCanes. Homer ... But I still love you for your avatar.
Hold up. What did I say that was even “homer adjacent”, let alone 15-0. I predicted we’d lose to TAMU. If I had to pick I’d say we go 9-3, but win totals aren’t really my thing. I also don't think you can fully offset inept WR play with TE production. But yeah otherwise I’m a homer.

On the other hand we have people out here saying the WRs alone will cost us 4 games. That’s hyperbolic.

Advertisement
Like why the fucc can't we catch the **** football? This is ridiculous at this point. We've changed WR coaches, OCs, schemes, players, **** we've even changed head coaches.... still DROPPING ****. TF?!

Next year, about January, I'd spray all their hands with WD-40 and DARE them to drop a pass.

If you catch all slicked up - you'll catch for certain in games.

Right now, they're half-assing it - THAT's why they're having drops.

Legit be some of worst porsts on CIS daily.
You aint much better than a troll. Mentally undeveloped. On here all day continously responding to people opinions you don't like with childish insults. Because everyone is supposed to be a cult follow the leader. Notice I try my best to ignore your post. I lose IQ points reading the **** your write. Next time I'll put you on ignore and we won't ever have to cross words again. Simple. I'm not worried about it....equals u mad. Think about that.

Advertisement
Back