Official Fall PractiSe #9 Monday Aug 15

Advertisement
I don't disagree with you but this whole thing started about missing on Brandon Inness and Jalen Brown. Sitting around with a "woe is me" mindset would be compounding the defeatist attitude rather than making productive use with who we have until we can get reinforcements.

As far as this year, that appears to be the situation we're in.
It is hard to blame MC for missing out on anyone. He's done fantastic, particularly with limited time. I think that as time progresses and we hopefully get this program moving in the right direction, he will make it harder and harder for kids to spurn UM. (Frankly, I don't blame kids for going elsewhere. Mario still hasn't coached a game.)

That said, I am an equal opportunity guy. If MC and staff recruits a kid hard and wants a kid and they miss [for whatever reason], it's a miss. You really can't judge this on a sliding scale. I don't expect us to ever get everyone or "lock" down South Florida. We are going to miss on kids every cycle. That's this business. But this is a bottom-line business and misses are misses. Mario will ultimately be judged on how many hits he has vs. misses.

I'm not worried about WR dropping passes, I worry about WR not getting open. This sounds like last season to be honest. Turns they should have been crying about the tackling and not the WRs

We talking bout practice. Them same practices juiced up DJ Ivey for years.
Legit be some of worst porsts on CIS daily.

1660590672381.png

Advertisement
How you do anything is how you do everything. Drops are 100% mental and, like missed kicks, they get in your head and stick there. The only way to get them unstuck is massive amounts of repetition.
Buddy, that 'how you do everything' crap is, well, crap. Mike Tyson knocking dudes out for years, had to get fights over bc his wang burned too badly. He forgot his gloves in the sheets, but wore them gloves to the ring every fight.

Drops are NOT 100% mental. Eyes (vision drills are a thing, but also eye placement), hands, brakes, elbows, shoulders, hips, knees, tuck, timing on jumps on and on and on.

The jugs machine everyone loves sucks because you aren't seeing the release, also it's not moving. Did they practice w/ the OODA Loop in mind? Are the extra reps static BS jugs shots or are they dynamic and from multiple passers at different depths and angles?

I got blasted for crapping on those chitty WR drills under da chutes posted in spring, well? Duck under a chute with unnatural postures, in a closed *** drill, with a soft toss from some student slappy assistant. Just not realistic. Once you're on the grass, the chit has to replicate the game.

Buddy, that 'how you do everything' crap is, well, crap. Mike Tyson knocking dudes out for years, had to get fights over bc his wang burned too badly. He forgot his gloves in the sheets, but wore them gloves to the ring every fight.

Drops are NOT 100% mental. Eyes (vision drills are a thing, but also eye placement), hands, brakes, elbows, shoulders, hips, knees, tuck, timing on jumps on and on and on.

The jugs machine everyone loves sucks because you aren't seeing the release, also it's not moving. Did they practice w/ the OODA Loop in mind? Are the extra reps static BS jugs shots or are they dynamic and from multiple passers at different depths and angles?

I got blasted for crapping on those chitty WR drills under da chutes posted in spring, well? Duck under a chute with unnatural postures, in a closed *** drill, with a soft toss from some student slappy assistant. Just not realistic. Once you're on the grass, the chit has to replicate the game.
Agreed, I donā€™t know why anyone thinks šŸ‘‡šŸ¼is going to help anyone catch

[
0EF60F58-3A1B-4FE5-8C03-36947952478D.gif
/SPOILER]

Advertisement
It is hard to blame MC for missing out on anyone. He's done fantastic, particularly with limited time. I think that as time progresses and we hopefully get this program moving in the right direction, he will make it harder and harder for kids to spurn UM. (Frankly, I don't blame kids for going elsewhere. Mario still hasn't coached a game.)

That said, I am an equal opportunity guy. If MC and staff recruits a kid hard and wants a kid and they miss [for whatever reason], it's a miss. You really can't judge this on a sliding scale. I don't expect us to ever get everyone or "lock" down South Florida. We are going to miss on kids every cycle. That's this business. But this is a bottom-line business and misses are misses. Mario will ultimately be judged on how many hits he has vs. misses.
Iā€™m not questioning that at all. Itā€™s the obsessing over it. Anyone whoā€™s paid attention knows weā€™ve had more than an acceptable number of misses. Itā€™s time to move on and let Mario do his thing.

Now, itā€™s time to get ready for the season.

Concern is warranted. The coaches are concerned about WRs and scoured the planet looking for a #1.

Panic, however, is not warranted.
At this time last year, we were 100% relying on Harley (who had drop issues for years) and a transfer from Oklahoma who lost his job to a freshman. I think theyā€™ll make this offense work

Advertisement
Imma just say this, & be through w/ it:

I know majority of us on here have been long time Canes fans. We know what Canes football is supposed to look & feel like. I made an OP months ago when Mario was hired, trying to temper expectations so ppl donā€™t jump down Marioā€™s throat if we have some struggles.

Iā€™m painfully re-watching this Miami vs. UVA & the vast majority of the guys in this game will be suiting up game 1. There was a reason TVD kept force feeding Rambo.

I know Miami went 7-5, but in reality, the roster was closer to 5-7 than 7-5. I have legit concerns b/c itā€™s really hard to change culture in a short window. If anyone can, it would be Mario, but donā€™t dismiss these reports.

We for sure have some talent, but we need an infusion of talent. We need a higher ratio of guys who are top 15 at their position, not top 20-30.

Just for measures (not including JUCO)-

2016 class:
Miami: 26% of the class was top 15 players
UGA: 36%
Bama: 58%
Clemson: 38%
OSU: 67%

2017 class:
Miami: 24%
UGA: 48%
Bama: 83%
Clemson: 43%
OSU: 71%

2018 class:
Miami: 52%
UGA: 71%
Bama: 62%
Clemson: 76%
OSU: 73%

2019:
Miami: 17%
UGA: 63%
Bama: 89%
OSU: 47%

2020:
Miami: 38%
UGA: 64%
Bama: 52%
Clemson: 65%
OSU: 52%

2021:
Miami: 30%
UGA: 50%
Bama: 70%
Clemson: 61%
OSU: 83%

Donā€™t get caught up on stars or class rankings; yes, they give an indicator, but u need to get caught up on the quality of the stars we recruit. I liken stars to diamonds; a diamond is a diamond, but itā€™s the clarity, cut, polish that makes a diamond more valuable. Weā€™ve had classes full of lower quality diamonds, hence why weā€™ve struggled w/ the likes of the ACC Coastal. Our diamonds have been no better than a high quality CZ. I did a break down of the ā€œ#1 2008 classā€ showing that class ranking is one factor, but we need to look at the avg. recruiting score to get more of a sense of the class. Recruiting scores also let u know, the level of high quality blue chips are in the class.

Now compare that to Marioā€™s regime thus far:
Class of ā€˜22: 40%
Class of ā€˜23: 47% (so far)

Ideally, we want our classes to be no lower than a 48%+ of top 15 players at their position, every class. Weā€™ve seen the ill effects of roster turnover per class, which is y u must stack chips every class. Regardless, I hope this helps some of u to see why The UGAs, Bamas, OSUs, & Clemsons r constantly sniffing the CFP; itā€™s b/c they recruit, not only blue chips, but high quality blue chips every yr. Bamas worst yr has been our best yr, & that has to change.

I say all that to give reasonable caution to what weā€™ve been hearing from camp reports. Yes itā€™s only practice, but Iā€™m not quite sure weā€™re at an ā€œiron sharpens ironā€ level, yet. This team feels more 2016ish, like @DMoney mentioned.

Last edited:
Imma just say this, & be through w/ it:

I know majority of us on here have been long time Canes fans. We know what Canes football is supposed to look & feel like. I made an OP months ago when Mario was hired, trying to temper expectations so ppl donā€™t jump down Marioā€™s throat if we have some struggles.

Iā€™m painfully re-watching this Miami vs. UVA & the vast majority of the guys in this game will be suiting up game 1. There was a reason TVD kept force feeding Rambo.

I know Miami went 7-5, but in reality, the roster was closer to 5-7 than 7-5. I have legit concerns b/c itā€™s really hard to change culture in a short window. If anyone can, it would be Mario, but donā€™t dismiss these reports.

We for sure have some talent, but we need an infusion of talent. We need a higher ratio of guys who are top 15 at their position, not top 20-30.

Just for measures (not including JUCO)-

2016 class:
Miami: 26% of the class was top 15 players
UGA: 36%
Bama: 58%
OSU: 67%

2017 class:
Miami: 24%
UGA: 48%
Bama: 83%
Clemson: 43%
OSU: 71%

2018 class:
Miami: 52%
UGA: 71%
Bama: 62%
Clemson: 76%
OSU: 73%

2019:
Miami: 17%
UGA: 63%
Bama: 89%
OSU: 47%

2020:
Miami: 38%
UGA: 64%
Bama: 52%
Clemson: 65%
OSU: 52%

2021:
Miami: 30%
UGA: 50%
Bama: 70%
Clemson: 61%
OSU: 83%

Donā€™t get caught up on stars or class rankings; yes, they give an indicator, but u need to get caught up on the quality of the stars we recruit. I liken stars to diamonds; a diamond is a diamond, but itā€™s the clarity, cut, polish that makes a diamond more valuable. Weā€™ve had classes full of lower quality diamonds, hence why weā€™ve struggled w/ the likes of the ACC Coastal. Our diamonds have been no better than a high quality CZ. I did a break down of the ā€œ#1 2008 classā€ showing that class ranking is one factor, but we need to look at the avg. recruiting score to get more of a sense of the class. Recruiting scores also let u know, the level of high quality blue chips are in the class.

Now compare that to Marioā€™s regime thus far:
Class of ā€˜22: 40%
Class of ā€˜23: 47% (so far)

Ideally, we want our classes to be no lower than a 48%+ of top 15 players at their position, every class. Weā€™ve seen the ill effects of roster turnover per class, which is y u must stack chips every class. Regardless, I hope this helps some of u to see why The UGAs, Bamas, OSUs, & Clemsons r constantly sniffing the CFP; itā€™s b/c they recruit, not only blue chips, but highly quality blue chips every yr. Bamas worst yr has been our best yr, & that has to change.

I say all that to give reasonable caution to what weā€™ve been hearing from camp reports. Yes itā€™s only practice, but Iā€™m not quite sure weā€™re at an ā€œiron sharpens ironā€ level, yet. This team feels more 2016ish, like @DMoney mentioned.
Great post. This is what Im talking about when I say dont discount the rankings. Take them and use them to help create new ways of looking at them rather than just take them at face value ONLY. Its basically raw data taken and refined once or twice but it can further be refined. You can refine it further as done so in the post above. It helps paint a better understanding of where you are in terms of the landscape. Whether its in your division/conference to national.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Donā€™t tell anybody but Rambo actually dropped quite a few passes for us last year. He just caught so many, we didnā€™t care as much.
True.

He was great most season for us but I remember him not having the best ball security in some games. The Jackets game comes to mind off the top of the head.

Advertisement
Back