Fall Ball

I like the potential of Cyr at 2B and in the 2 hole but I have no confident Gino will actually do it with Dorian returning.

Advertisement
Potential Cyr variant
1 Gomez
2 Cyr
3 Yoyo
4 Kayfus
5 Levenson
6 Farrow
7 Pitelli
8 Perez
9 Villegas

There was something about those two at the top that feels right if he gets the nod at 2B.
I like that lineup except Perez. He sucks. Scanlon is better defensively and JD has actually been doing something with the bat other than striking out.

There’s still time to get the pitching duties sorted, but based on the inter squad games and the FAU game, even a casual baseball fan would know it’s a area of concern.

I think Ligon and Ziehl would be the logical Friday and Saturday starters, but there’s definitely room for a dark horse to take that Sunday spot.

Even though Kayfus is the best lead off hitter we’ve seen in years, I’m starting to see the logic of making him a middle of the order hitter to protect Yohandy and utilize that high batting average and low K rate to drive in runs. I guess we’ll know at the alumni game what the thinking is.

You’re describing a lineup that screams: “when in doubt, play for speed and athleticism.”

The pitching as you have (accurately) described it, is an area of deep concern. But it’s fall. If this was middle of spring practice, “deep concern” would quickly morph into “absolute panic.”

Even so, I’m really at a loss to justify walters being anything other than closer, and rosario being anything other than a situational “two batter” type middle inning reliever. Assuming he’s even on the roster in March.

Quick hitter today- probably just over an hour of baseball. Same unis on both sides, same dugout, no scoreboard.

Chestnutt vs Ligon. Good news to report- they both pitched well. I saw 4 or 5 balls go to the warning track between the two but they got better as the innings progressed. I believe the score was 1-0 in favor of Chestnutt. Chestnutt has a cricket bowler delivery and he’s prone to leave some in the dirt as a result. I’d like to see a little more bite in his curve but he did throw one that was a knee bender. Ligon’s velocity was impressive. Pretty much the same lineups as yesterday and no Martin or Carrier again.

A lot of jobs to be won or lost in January.

With such a premium on high leverage arms Walters should stay as a closer. Throw upper 9’s and focus on 1-2 innings.

I don’t have a good feeling about this roster. Hopefully with the arms looking average we become a bit more offensive. Maybe more 8-5 games.

Advertisement
With such a premium on high leverage arms Walters should stay as a closer. Throw upper 9’s and focus on 1-2 innings.

I don’t have a good feeling about this roster. Hopefully with the arms looking average we become a bit more offensive. Maybe more 8-5 games.
I think the offense is going to be good, maybe even exciting. It’s too hard to win at this level without good pitching so we’ll see who grabs the bag.

Caught a few innings on Friday and Saturday. Seabass Perez is huge. Carlos Perez hit a frozen rope over the wall in LF, and Farrow hit a moon shot to LF that was at eye-level. Walters looked to have better command of that breaking pitch. Yoyo looks a year bigger. Gomez and Farrow ease the pain of losing Burke.

Maybe the new weight room will help the team appear less emaciated but it's going to be cramped in that area with the clamor for $10 milk shakes, and the kids won't have that space to freak out when they're high on sugar.

11/5 Pro Day

About 2 dozen scouts in attendance.
Andrew Walters SP: He gave up a double on the first pitch to Long, followed by a BB, a BB and a 3-2 K that missed being a walk by an inch. He then proceeded to boot a routine comebacker. He was mercifully saved from a REALLY bad first inning by a 5 batter rule. The next inning he almost coughed up a homer to Cyr by two feet into the wind and then pitched the rest of the inning scoreless. Good thing he only went two innings in front of the scouts. Carson Palmquist 2.0 he is not.

Rosario SP: He had to have been sitting 96-97. 3 k’s and an infield single and a clean second inning. Good thing he only pitched two because we all know what happens in the third inning with him. (Especially in front of scouts)

Relievers:
Gallo: one clean inning and a rough second inning. Hasn’t really shown he can be a third or even a weekday starter this fall.

Lequerica: Control issues, poor outing. I don’t really expect much from a guy that has owned a sky high ERA his whole college career.

Chestnutt: After a really nice outing last week, he **** the futon in two innings of work.

Rafe: walked two in two innings. Meh.

Ligon: pitched great in two innings of relief. He and Rosario were basically the only pitchers that weren’t embarrassing to watch.

Catching situation: I’ve seen Scanlon enough to know he one hops or goes to the left of the bag on roughly 50% of his throws to 2B. It’s not an arm strength issue, either. He’s just inaccurate. He finally got a hit. Perez overthrew a runner to third but had a 2 run homer. It was off of Lequerica so does that even count? JD has been the better fielder this fall and the better hitter. I have this feeling that Scanlon will be the starter come opening day although he certainly hasn’t earned it based on what I’ve seen.

Cyr: Beat the shift on what I thought was an intentional angling/push of the bat to get the ball to the vacated spot. Another example of his bat control to go with some nice bunts this fall. Almost homered against Walters and had reps at SS and 2B again. I don’t know if you can win a job in the fall, but I’ve got a feeling he’s earned an opening day spot in the lineup.

Kaden Martin: 1-3 with a K, BB and homer. (also off Lequerica I think)

Carrier: I saw him warming up the RF and that was it. I don’t know if he’s hurt again or fell out of favor with the staff.

Advertisement
I was disappointed to hear that Crowther had a very rough outing yesterday. Sounds like Brian Walters pitched well.

The big question mark I’ve heard with Cyr is the glove (I haven’t seen it in my limited viewing opportunities). The bat should obviously be in the lineup, but I could see defense being a justification for leaving Dorian in to start.

Last edited:
He’s made some fantastic plays, too. His arm and range are better than Dorian’s. Like Dom, if you get to a lot of balls, you’re going to boot a few.

No changes to the roster yet after Fall Ball.

Could Gino be considering a roster with more options?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back