Eyeball exam of our D...

Advertisement
Realistically there's only three guys that could be advised to leave early - Harris, Hedley and Bolden.

Anyone else contemplating it should be sat down and made to have a chat with Bandy and Yearby.
Agree and Hedley is returning.

Thanks OP...solid commentary and agree with the majority. The only area of concern here is LB. I'm not seeing enough from Jennings and would like to see Brooks play more. I think, as do many, Brooks and Flagg will play more as the season continues. Perhaps even start. Either way, these two will be playing lots next year and hopefully along with Huff and Cave.
Agree : don't remembered a hurricane defense where the two leading tacklers are the safeties : I think we will get expose every time we play VT because they really expose our linebackers. Nothing fancy QB draws and runs, RB's runs to the edge and passes to the flats, miss directions with their TE's & RB's . What is really amazing I see Flagg ( seems to avoid the traffic) and Brooks quickly diagnosing plays, and sticking with their coverage responsibilities, and having pretty good instincts. With Jennings he always seems to be caught in traffic, and slow out of his stance, slow to the edge. Mccloud I swear sometimes he doesn't even get out of his stance, slow to read and react, and constantly lost in coverage .

Advertisement
12 of the 35 scholarship players on defense arrived here before 2019 - the rest are still learning their positions and the system. Baker and company were tasked with replacing 8 starters from the 2019 team with no spring and a virtual offseason.

There's no reason why the defense shouldn't continue to improve as the season progresses. Roche, Silvera, Phillips are emerging. There's competition at LB thanks to Flagg and Brooks. The secondary has had a few hiccups but Bolden and Blades have stood out.

Fans are patient with Lashlee because he's the **** hire, it's his first season, there wasn't a ton of time to prepare - all of which is understandable - but nobody wants to give the same leeway to the staff on defense despite being forced to overcome similar obstacles.

I believe this to be true. I don't think that Clemson team is beatable this year, but we will play better if given a a chance imo.
I thought the defense fought their asses off against Clemson and the offense left them on the field the entire game, we knew what they were going to do and had no answer for Etienne.

Agree : don't remembered a hurricane defense where the two leading tacklers are the safeties : I think we will get expose every time we play VT because they really expose our linebackers. Nothing fancy QB draws and runs, RB's runs to the edge and passes to the flats, miss directions with their TE's & RB's . What is really amazing I see Flagg ( seems to avoid the traffic) and Brooks quickly diagnosing plays, and sticking with their coverage responsibilities, and having pretty good instincts. With Jennings he always seems to be caught in traffic, and slow out of his stance, slow to the edge. Mccloud I swear sometimes he doesn't even get out of his stance, slow to read and react, and constantly lost in coverage .
Ugh I want us to smack VT. I am starting to really dislike them lol

Advertisement
What about our place kicker. Free year for elgibility. Would love to see him back also.
Ehh....honestly I love 50+yard kicks and all but he needs to go pro.

Finding a kicker shouldn't be as hard as it was last year ever. I literally mean ever. Find a soccer player anywhere in South Florida. They will hit 40 yarders.

Ehh....honestly I love 50+yard kicks and all but he needs to go pro.

Finding a kicker shouldn't be as hard as it was last year ever. I literally mean ever. Find a soccer player anywhere in South Florida. They will hit 40 yarders.

His little brother is in the current class and will be here next year.

Realistically there's only three guys that could be advised to leave early - Harris, Hedley and Bolden.

Anyone else contemplating it should be sat down and made to have a chat with Bandy and Yearby.
Unless Harris has a very strong finish to this season, He needs to stay. And He disappears too much in big games for my liking.

Advertisement
Some non-statistical observations of our D:
  • I've noticed that both myself and CIS as a whole are complaining less about Blake. I don't want to read too much into this yet, but I hope this means that he is indeed getting better. Feels like he is.
  • It seems like we are trending in a positive direction for playmakers on the D.
    • Bubba has been playing at an elite level all season and if he keeps it up, he will be ALL ACC at a minimum and should get some AA attention as well. I haven't seen any safeties on other teams with his all-around game and as consistent.
    • It took him getting used to the new system and playing with our boys, but Roche really seems to be coming into his own. He is playing at an elite level.
    • Harrison-Hunte is truly taking off and I wouldn't be surprised if he is named the starter in the next game or two. If he continues trending and developing the way he has been thus far, this kid will be on Willis's level soon enough and possibly beyond, by the time he graduates.
    • Nesta has had a VERY solid year! I sure hope he isn't thinking of bouncing for the draft after this year. If he can come back for his senior season, assuming he keeps improving, he could become an elite player or close enough by next season.
    • Couch is thin, but that dude is our 1st, true shutdown corner since MJ. He has the speed, hips and quickness to be a top corner and if he continues working hard and developing, he really could become one of the top shutdown CB's in the country and just what we need when we're playing a top O and elite WR.
    • I know there's been a lot of back and forth about whether or not Flagg is fast enough to be effective for us, but I saw more of his tape and that kid is GOOD! If he doesn't become our MLB before the end of this season, he will definitely be our Mike going forward. He'll be a great "Quarterback" for the D.
    • Miller has always had the raw ability, but that kid is truly blossoming before our eyes. He keeps honing his body with Feeley and keeps working hard, he can play himself into an ALL ACC player.
    • Blades has been consistent all season and is our best all around corner. He can cover, he's physical in his tackling, he's smart and doesn't make a ton of mistakes and is a good leader.
    • Jaelean hustles as much or more than anyone on the team. His sheer athleticism and potential are limitless. He's had a good, but not dominating season.
    • I'm beginning to think maybe the rumors of Jennings demise might be a bit exaggerated. I'm not a game film wonk like some of you, so I could be missing somethings (I'm sure I am), but upon further review Jennings seems solid to me.
    • Ivey seemed like dead man walking according to this board earlier this season, but he has quietly put together a good season. Kid has improved.
    • Harvey makes a difference every time he's on the field and he's one of the twitchiest DE's in the country. That's right, not just our team, but in the country. Watch his tape some more and tell me I'm wrong. Kid needs more reps.
  • Things that are concerning and/or need improvement:
    • Jaelean is a good player, who has freaky athletic ability and great hustle, HOWEVER, he does not play with good technique. Watch Roche's technique and then watch JP's. No comparison. The great news is - that is all fixable stuff, but I'd prefer it get fixed this season while he's still with us, as opposed to him learning it for the 1st time by some NFL coach. With all of his other attributes, he could truly blow the roof off consistently if he improved his DE techniques: hand play, leverage & bend, reading the play, the right moves done effectively and used at the right times in the right situations, etc.
    • McCloud - I appreciate his time with the Canes, and I know we've beaten this to death on this board, but seriously, enough's enough. If he were going to grow into the position, it would've happened already. He's a senior, so give him some snaps, especially if he's blitzing the QB, but he is not an instinctive, "football smart" player and we need those on the field.
    • #26 - He needs to up his game. I believe he has the tools, but he needs to up his game, be consistent and make a difference in the game.
    • #5 - Buddy, we can't keep losing you to intentional targeting as well as the obligatory 15 yards it costs us. Someone else said he should move to LB and I think OLB is the perfect place for his level speed and physicality. He'll never play in the league as a DB, but he could possibly make it as an OLB.
    • Ford is grading out fine, but he's not a playmaker or difference maker. I understand the argument that we need one guy to eat up a couple of OL, so the 3-technique can go clean up, but he still should be making more plays and having more of an impact on the game. At this point, he should be replaced by HH and come in as a backup.
  • Overall, the the D seems to be improving, which needs to partially be attributed to the coaching staff, including Rumph. I know Rumph takes a lot of heat on this board, and it's well-deserved, but his CB's seem to be improving, so let's give credit where it's due.
If God forbid, we have to play Trevor again this season, I'd like to believe that we can progress to the point where we at least lose with dignity because our D holds up.

Anyway, thoughts, gentlemen?
I agree 100% about #5 going to LB. It seems too perfect. He has the size for it. Really should have happened in Spring knowing Bubba was going to be back. He is a playmaker and needs to be on the field but is an average at best Safety. I think he could have been a very solid LB.

Advertisement
I'm trying to look at the small steps and as I make it to halftime of rewatching the Pitt game, I know one thing with absolute certainty, previous UM defenses would have given up TD's at the end of the Clemson game and both instances at the end of the first half against Pitt.

Some non-statistical observations of our D:
  • I've noticed that both myself and CIS as a whole are complaining less about Blake. I don't want to read too much into this yet, but I hope this means that he is indeed getting better. Feels like he is.
  • It seems like we are trending in a positive direction for playmakers on the D.
    • Bubba has been playing at an elite level all season and if he keeps it up, he will be ALL ACC at a minimum and should get some AA attention as well. I haven't seen any safeties on other teams with his all-around game and as consistent.
    • It took him getting used to the new system and playing with our boys, but Roche really seems to be coming into his own. He is playing at an elite level.
    • Harrison-Hunte is truly taking off and I wouldn't be surprised if he is named the starter in the next game or two. If he continues trending and developing the way he has been thus far, this kid will be on Willis's level soon enough and possibly beyond, by the time he graduates.
    • Nesta has had a VERY solid year! I sure hope he isn't thinking of bouncing for the draft after this year. If he can come back for his senior season, assuming he keeps improving, he could become an elite player or close enough by next season.
    • Couch is thin, but that dude is our 1st, true shutdown corner since MJ. He has the speed, hips and quickness to be a top corner and if he continues working hard and developing, he really could become one of the top shutdown CB's in the country and just what we need when we're playing a top O and elite WR.
    • I know there's been a lot of back and forth about whether or not Flagg is fast enough to be effective for us, but I saw more of his tape and that kid is GOOD! If he doesn't become our MLB before the end of this season, he will definitely be our Mike going forward. He'll be a great "Quarterback" for the D.
    • Miller has always had the raw ability, but that kid is truly blossoming before our eyes. He keeps honing his body with Feeley and keeps working hard, he can play himself into an ALL ACC player.
    • Blades has been consistent all season and is our best all around corner. He can cover, he's physical in his tackling, he's smart and doesn't make a ton of mistakes and is a good leader.
    • Jaelean hustles as much or more than anyone on the team. His sheer athleticism and potential are limitless. He's had a good, but not dominating season.
    • I'm beginning to think maybe the rumors of Jennings demise might be a bit exaggerated. I'm not a game film wonk like some of you, so I could be missing somethings (I'm sure I am), but upon further review Jennings seems solid to me.
    • Ivey seemed like dead man walking according to this board earlier this season, but he has quietly put together a good season. Kid has improved.
    • Harvey makes a difference every time he's on the field and he's one of the twitchiest DE's in the country. That's right, not just our team, but in the country. Watch his tape some more and tell me I'm wrong. Kid needs more reps.
  • Things that are concerning and/or need improvement:
    • Jaelean is a good player, who has freaky athletic ability and great hustle, HOWEVER, he does not play with good technique. Watch Roche's technique and then watch JP's. No comparison. The great news is - that is all fixable stuff, but I'd prefer it get fixed this season while he's still with us, as opposed to him learning it for the 1st time by some NFL coach. With all of his other attributes, he could truly blow the roof off consistently if he improved his DE techniques: hand play, leverage & bend, reading the play, the right moves done effectively and used at the right times in the right situations, etc.
    • McCloud - I appreciate his time with the Canes, and I know we've beaten this to death on this board, but seriously, enough's enough. If he were going to grow into the position, it would've happened already. He's a senior, so give him some snaps, especially if he's blitzing the QB, but he is not an instinctive, "football smart" player and we need those on the field.
    • #26 - He needs to up his game. I believe he has the tools, but he needs to up his game, be consistent and make a difference in the game.
    • #5 - Buddy, we can't keep losing you to intentional targeting as well as the obligatory 15 yards it costs us. Someone else said he should move to LB and I think OLB is the perfect place for his level speed and physicality. He'll never play in the league as a DB, but he could possibly make it as an OLB.
    • Ford is grading out fine, but he's not a playmaker or difference maker. I understand the argument that we need one guy to eat up a couple of OL, so the 3-technique can go clean up, but he still should be making more plays and having more of an impact on the game. At this point, he should be replaced by HH and come in as a backup.
  • Overall, the the D seems to be improving, which needs to partially be attributed to the coaching staff, including Rumph. I know Rumph takes a lot of heat on this board, and it's well-deserved, but his CB's seem to be improving, so let's give credit where it's due.
If God forbid, we have to play Trevor again this season, I'd like to believe that we can progress to the point where we at least lose with dignity because our D holds up.

Anyway, thoughts, gentlemen?

This may seem harsh, take most of McCloud's snaps away, and this defense gets better immediately. His lack of instincts, feel and anticipation is glaring. And Jennings for that matter....

I thought the defense fought their asses off against Clemson and the offense left them on the field the entire game, we knew what they were going to do and had no answer for Etienne.
they fought hard but couldn't get off the field : the second Clemson drive 79 yards 19 plays : I think we had the ball one time in the 1st quarter : plus they were so pumped they couldn't stopped committing penalties :

Advertisement
Back