Eyeball exam of our D...

Some non-statistical observations of our D:
  • I've noticed that both myself and CIS as a whole are complaining less about Blake. I don't want to read too much into this yet, but I hope this means that he is indeed getting better. Feels like he is.
  • It seems like we are trending in a positive direction for playmakers on the D.
    • Bubba has been playing at an elite level all season and if he keeps it up, he will be ALL ACC at a minimum and should get some AA attention as well. I haven't seen any safeties on other teams with his all-around game and as consistent.
    • It took him getting used to the new system and playing with our boys, but Roche really seems to be coming into his own. He is playing at an elite level.
    • Harrison-Hunte is truly taking off and I wouldn't be surprised if he is named the starter in the next game or two. If he continues trending and developing the way he has been thus far, this kid will be on Willis's level soon enough and possibly beyond, by the time he graduates.
    • Nesta has had a VERY solid year! I sure hope he isn't thinking of bouncing for the draft after this year. If he can come back for his senior season, assuming he keeps improving, he could become an elite player or close enough by next season.
    • Couch is thin, but that dude is our 1st, true shutdown corner since MJ. He has the speed, hips and quickness to be a top corner and if he continues working hard and developing, he really could become one of the top shutdown CB's in the country and just what we need when we're playing a top O and elite WR.
    • I know there's been a lot of back and forth about whether or not Flagg is fast enough to be effective for us, but I saw more of his tape and that kid is GOOD! If he doesn't become our MLB before the end of this season, he will definitely be our Mike going forward. He'll be a great "Quarterback" for the D.
    • Miller has always had the raw ability, but that kid is truly blossoming before our eyes. He keeps honing his body with Feeley and keeps working hard, he can play himself into an ALL ACC player.
    • Blades has been consistent all season and is our best all around corner. He can cover, he's physical in his tackling, he's smart and doesn't make a ton of mistakes and is a good leader.
    • Jaelean hustles as much or more than anyone on the team. His sheer athleticism and potential are limitless. He's had a good, but not dominating season.
    • I'm beginning to think maybe the rumors of Jennings demise might be a bit exaggerated. I'm not a game film wonk like some of you, so I could be missing somethings (I'm sure I am), but upon further review Jennings seems solid to me.
    • Ivey seemed like dead man walking according to this board earlier this season, but he has quietly put together a good season. Kid has improved.
    • Harvey makes a difference every time he's on the field and he's one of the twitchiest DE's in the country. That's right, not just our team, but in the country. Watch his tape some more and tell me I'm wrong. Kid needs more reps.
  • Things that are concerning and/or need improvement:
    • Jaelean is a good player, who has freaky athletic ability and great hustle, HOWEVER, he does not play with good technique. Watch Roche's technique and then watch JP's. No comparison. The great news is - that is all fixable stuff, but I'd prefer it get fixed this season while he's still with us, as opposed to him learning it for the 1st time by some NFL coach. With all of his other attributes, he could truly blow the roof off consistently if he improved his DE techniques: hand play, leverage & bend, reading the play, the right moves done effectively and used at the right times in the right situations, etc.
    • McCloud - I appreciate his time with the Canes, and I know we've beaten this to death on this board, but seriously, enough's enough. If he were going to grow into the position, it would've happened already. He's a senior, so give him some snaps, especially if he's blitzing the QB, but he is not an instinctive, "football smart" player and we need those on the field.
    • #26 - He needs to up his game. I believe he has the tools, but he needs to up his game, be consistent and make a difference in the game.
    • #5 - Buddy, we can't keep losing you to intentional targeting as well as the obligatory 15 yards it costs us. Someone else said he should move to LB and I think OLB is the perfect place for his level speed and physicality. He'll never play in the league as a DB, but he could possibly make it as an OLB.
    • Ford is grading out fine, but he's not a playmaker or difference maker. I understand the argument that we need one guy to eat up a couple of OL, so the 3-technique can go clean up, but he still should be making more plays and having more of an impact on the game. At this point, he should be replaced by HH and come in as a backup.
  • Overall, the the D seems to be improving, which needs to partially be attributed to the coaching staff, including Rumph. I know Rumph takes a lot of heat on this board, and it's well-deserved, but his CB's seem to be improving, so let's give credit where it's due.
If God forbid, we have to play Trevor again this season, I'd like to believe that we can progress to the point where we at least lose with dignity because our D holds up.

Anyway, thoughts, gentlemen?
Great breakdown. Hall maybe maxed put as a good tackling, fundamentally sound safety, but not a playmaker. He maybe the 2020 equivalent of Mo Sikes or James Lewis (I know they both made a few big interceptions) but they were really Robin to Sean and Ed's Batman. Which can work if you have a playmaker next to Hall like this year. But it won't work next year unless Avantae comes back strong or Kinchens or Williams take the spot as a freshman which is really tough.

I agree that Ford is a back-up but I think he really is a space eater, which is good to have next to an attacking d-tackle like Nesta or JHH. Nortan played this role next to McIntosh but he did make more plays than Ford.

Roche is the goods at d-end and with Phillips gives us maybe the best d-end tandem in the country.

I think Jennings is very limited. Basically a run stuffer inside the tackles. But he can't beat anyone to the sideline and he can't cover. He's a 1-2 down linebacker against an offense that isn't running outside zone, unlike Louisville.

IMO Ivey looks better because he is often responsible for an opponent's 3rd receiver. He was over matched against their top 2

?What are your thoughts on Brooks development?

Advertisement
Great breakdown. Hall maybe maxed put as a good tackling, fundamentally sound safety, but not a playmaker. He maybe the 2020 equivalent of Mo Sikes or James Lewis (I know they both made a few big interceptions) but they were really Robin to Sean and Ed's Batman. Which can work if you have a playmaker next to Hall like this year. But it won't work next year unless Avantae comes back strong or Kinchens or Williams take the spot as a freshman which is really tough.

I agree that Ford is a back-up but I think he really is a space eater, which is good to have next to an attacking d-tackle like Nesta or JHH. Nortan played this role next to McIntosh but he did make more plays than Ford.

Roche is the goods at d-end and with Phillips gives us maybe the best d-end tandem in the country.

I think Jennings is very limited. Basically a run stuffer inside the tackles. But he can't beat anyone to the sideline and he can't cover. He's a 1-2 down linebacker against an offense that isn't running outside zone, unlike Louisville.

IMO Ivey looks better because he is often responsible for an opponent's 3rd receiver. He was over matched against their top 2

?What are your thoughts on Brooks development?
I think we need to keep feeding Brooks more reps. If Flagg is going to play more, and he should, we need Brooks’ speed to erase and/or limit some plays.

The one thing on defense I see that I have become pretty attuned to after seeing you guys complain about it constantly, is the delayed blitz from 10 yards out. I'm looking for it all the time now, and am cringing every time I see it. It rarely seems to get home or disrupt a play, not even against green freshman QBs.

Other than that, so far I can't complain too much. Even the Clemson game, you can't really hope to get that much done on D against a guy like Lawrence if your offense is going 3 and out every time and constantly putting you in a bad spot. They came up with a big stop early that could have altered the game trajectory if they hadn't lined up offside.

Here's another "What if" scenario, but if Nesta stays for his senior season, JHH keeps improving, Miller keeps improving and LT is who we think he is, we could have the best DT play since 2017, and potentially as good as we've had it since 2003.

And, that doesn't even take into account kids with monster potential like Roberts and Holley.
Or a freshman 5 🌟

Advertisement
The Canes have the best DL in the country. Roche and Phillips had the highest PFF grades for DEs in the country last week, and Harvey wasn’t too far behind. Harrison-Hunte, Nesta, Ford and Miller all had some of the best PFF grades at DT. Our two deep DL has no match, and they all seem to be getting better and better every week. The Canes have a lot of DLs on this current roster who will likely play on Sundays some day.

Advertisement
I’m by no means a Blake Baker fan but he’s also a young coord so I guess he can improve I’m by no means saying I like him but I guess the d looks better and looks better schematically than last year. Still things I hate that he does. Bad and poorly timed blitzes soft press man if u want to call it that and him starting some bad Lbs

The Canes have the best DL in the country. Roche and Phillips had the highest PFF grades for DEs in the country last week, and Harvey wasn’t too far behind. Harrison-Hunte, Nesta, Ford and Miller all had some of the best PFF grades at DT. Our two deep DL has no match, and they all seem to be getting better and better every week. The Canes have a lot of DLs on this current roster who will likely play on Sundays some day.
We're not quite there yet, but we're certainly on our way. Even not including LT coming in next year, if JP stays one more year, Nesta stays and JHH continues developing at his current pace, we will finally be getting back to the Cane DL's of old. Man, do I miss those DLines.

When we're on D, I focus on the whole play and what the other O is doing, and if we contain them, etc., but with our old Cane DL's, I would literally focus on the DL's disruption until the camera would force the action down the field. It's been a while, but bretheren (and sisters) we were that good. We can be that good again and we could start seeing it by the end of this season if everyone keeps progressing and improving.

Thanks OP...solid commentary and agree with the majority. The only area of concern here is LB. I'm not seeing enough from Jennings and would like to see Brooks play more. I think, as do many, Brooks and Flagg will play more as the season continues. Perhaps even start. Either way, these two will be playing lots next year and hopefully along with Huff and Cave.

Advertisement
Thanks OP...solid commentary and agree with the majority. The only area of concern here is LB. I'm not seeing enough from Jennings and would like to see Brooks play more. I think, as do many, Brooks and Flagg will play more as the season continues. Perhaps even start. Either way, these two will be playing lots next year and hopefully along with Huff and Cave.
Agree 100%

On a related note, I just re-watched a play that wasn't spectacular, but showed you the difference having a savant at analyzing plays can do for you:

It was a simple run off tackle to the left, right before the snap, Flagg barks out to the DT's in front of him and waves his arm to the right. They couldn't see his wave, but they did hear his signal, so an instant before the ball was snapped, both Miller and JHH shift to the right, just as Flagg had signaled, they shoot the gap and stop the play for like one yard or so. If Flagg doesn't see it and barks the signal, the play goes for 4 or more yards, but Flagg's brain quickly saw where it was going and was able to QB the DT's into the right attack.

Not to over do it with praise for Flagg, but McCloud simply can't do that. Never has. For this very reason, Flagg should be starting.

Agree 100%

On a related note, I just re-watched a play that wasn't spectacular, but showed you the difference having a savant at analyzing plays can do for you:

It was a simple run off tackle to the left, right before the snap, Flagg barks out to the DT's in front of him and waves his arm to the right. They couldn't see his wave, but they did hear his signal, so an instant before the ball was snapped, both Miller and JHH shift to the right, just as Flagg had signaled, they shoot the gap and stop the play for like one yard or so. If Flagg doesn't see it and barks the signal, the play goes for 4 or more yards, but Flagg's brain quickly saw where it was going and was able to QB the DT's into the right attack.

Not to over do it with praise for Flagg, but McCloud simply can't do that. Never has. For this very reason, Flagg should be starting.
Good post and solid thread. I agree with everything in the OP except for Jennings. I prefer Flagg and Brooks out there together of all the combinations that I’ve seen. Flagg plays fast. He’s going to be a 3 year starter IMO.

One of the best threads on here in a while. I’ll say this as a businessman who moved back to Florida from Texas with a newborn and taking on a new, very demanding job the day I moved into a new home. It’s a lot to take on.

Blake moved across the country to an entirely new culture for him and his family with a newbie 👶 . There’s just no way to adjust to all of that as a family and be 100% effective as coach on this level. He’s just setting in psychology, give him a moment to take it all in an adjust. I think you will continue to see BB thrive and grow.

Most people don’t understand that Manny is a very cranial dude, he’s a manipulator and he’s farther ahead of the game than most people think. All of these coaches are setting this thing up quite nicely for the future. We only needed a 10 point differential to be undefeated last year. I told y’all at the end of the season last year,
DON’T BE SURPRISED IF MANNY TURNS THIS THING AROUND.

Advertisement
One of the best threads on here in a while. I’ll say this as a businessman who moved back to Florida from Texas with a newborn and taking on a new, very demanding job the day I moved into a new home. It’s a lot to take on.

Blake moved across the country to an entirely new culture for him and his family with a newbie 👶 . There’s just no way to adjust to all of that as a family and be 100% effective as coach on this level. He’s just setting in psychology, give him a moment to take it all in an adjust. I think you will continue to see BB thrive and grow.

Most people don’t understand that Manny is a very cranial dude, he’s a manipulator and he’s farther ahead of the game than most people think. All of these coaches are setting this thing up quite nicely for the future. We only needed a 10 point differential to be undefeated last year. I told y’all at the end of the season last year,
DON’T BE SURPRISED IF MANNY TURNS THIS THING AROUND.
Strong post! I agree about Manny - until I become convinced that he is unwilling to see what is wrong and then lack the strength to fix it, I will continue to ride with him as our HC.

OP, well reasoned thoughts. I can't argue with anything you wrote. I am surprised to hear that Ford is grading out well. As you stated: "he is not a playmaker". I would go further and say he needs to be a " Playmaker Reliever ."

I’ve enjoyed watching the defense since Manny got here. Then again, I’m not expecting zero points and yards every week. I love the risk taking because tfls kill drives.

A team could get 3 first downs but we guess right on a stunt and all of sudden they are behind the chains and we are getting off the field with a punt or a field goal.

Over the past few year we have had a gang of dominating performances. light years better than No’d and his bend definitely break defense.

Advertisement
Back