Eye opening article about Richt calling plays at Georgia

Obviously I don't have proof of anyone paying players or I'd be sharing it with everyone I could find. This is one of those things where there's too much smoke to be completely wrong. Too many ex players talk about having gotten paid, and too many current players have too much cash and expensive stuff. Too many rich uncles leasing cars for them to be believable. Not to mention that when people care as much as they do about football and there's as much money and prestige to be had, there's no chance they'll stop at breaking some ncaa rules. Do you really think Adidas is paying basketball players but not football players? Or that Nike is letting Adidas have that kind of advantage?

And nobody said anything about every player Miami doesn't get being paid by another school. But watch recruiting. Watch the visits. Watch the kids who just can't seem to make up their minds until the last second. It's not all the kids, but there are quite a few who aren't so subtle about it. Every year a kid saban wants is about to visit another school, has a sit down with saban and commits to bama the next day. What do you think saban's saying to the kid in January that he hasn't already said in August? Seriously, what's he selling that he hasn't already tried?

Whatever the case, it's not an excuse/justification, just a realistic view of the playing field. Maybe saban could recruit top 5 classes at Miami every year, but maybe not. Maybe without bama's booster network he'd have to settle for top 15 classes. He'd still do well with that, as you said he's the best. But maybe part of his success is the specific situation he's got at bama. One way or another, when you change the situation, you just might change the results that coach is able to produce.

Like when you cite Richt's performance at Georgia and try to extrapolate that to Miami, years later?

Not trying to be a ****, but this works both ways, right? You argue that Saban's success at Alabama would not necessarily translate to anywhere else, but that Richt's "success" at Georgia will occur at Miami.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Whatever the case, it's getting old that everyone starts a new thread every time they find a "new" piece of info that they can use to reinforce Richt's suckage. Dude is stinking up the place, nobody here needs convincing.

If you don't like it ..... don't read it

From 247 Article--
Miami’s defense currently ranks fourth in the country in total defense while allowing 268 yards per game. The Hurricanes rank third in the country in yards per play. UM’s scoring defense ranks 20th in the country while allowing 20.1 points per game.

The past four weeks, opponents have started drives on Miami’s side of the field 14 times. The Hurricanes have allowed a total of 36 points on those drives—a very impressive number in that context.

Advertisement
I am going to keep this very simple before my post. You're wrong. Hiring Richt was a bad idea and we had all the info before he was hired. This doesn't mean that Richt wouldn't do a better job (perhaps) than a prior coach at Miami or some chitty coaches on an atrocious list. It just means there was no logical reason to think Richt could achieve our goals.

The reason we hired Richt was because our decision makers have consistently failed us and they continue to fail us today.

Name a coach, and somebody's got a reason why they won't work out.

You're right. Everyone has a "flaw" but everyone didn't fail over such a long period like Richt.

UGA deemed him a failure and said goodbye. UGA had every right to send him packing as he wasn't achieving their goals.

But what is that saying about trash and treasure?

On paper there were as many reasons to hire Richt as anyone else, and more than most.

Sure there were reasons like:

1. You don't desire to win it all,
2. You want a coach who had their best years a long time ago,
3. You don't desire to win your conference, and
4. You prefer a coach who wins less than 10 per season, who consistently lost to ranked opponents and better teams.

-----------------------

I have some questions for you, since "On paper there were as many reasons to hire Richt as anyone else, and more than most."

1. Over the last 25 years, how many P5 HCs, with such a large sample of coaching experience (10 years or more), are able to out perform their prior tenures?

2. Was Richt's failed experiment as OC HC known before he was hired at Miami?

3. Was Richt's record against his rivals known before he was hired at Miami (see below)?

Answer to Question 1: Mack Brown. Keep in mind he went from an inferior UNC to Texas.

Answer to Question 2: Yes

Average with Richt as the OC (2001-2006)

Total Offense (avg): 384
Scoring Offense (avg): 28.5

Average with Bobo as the OC (2007-2015)

Total Offense (avg): 421
Scoring Offense (avg): 34.1

Answer to Question 3: Yes. Also, look at the coaches he beat to get those wins.

Against UF:

2001: Spurrier 0-1
2002-04: Zook 1-2
2005-10: Meyer 1-5
2011-15: Muschump 3-1

Against LSU:

2001-04: Saban 1-1 (Doesn't play against LSU in 2001 and 2002)
2005-15: Miles 3-2 (Doesn't play against LSU in 2006, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2014 and 2015)

Alabama

2001-02: Franchione 1-0 (Doesn't play against Bama in 2001)
2003-06: Shula 1-0 (Doesn't play against Bama in 2004, 2005 and 2006)
2006-15: Saban 1-3 (Doesn't play against Bama in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014

Like when you cite Richt's performance at Georgia and try to extrapolate that to Miami, years later?

Not trying to be a ****, but this works both ways, right? You argue that Saban's success at Alabama would not necessarily translate to anywhere else, but that Richt's "success" at Georgia will occur at Miami.

That's the opposite of what I did. I pointed out that from his uga time you would have thought he couldn't possibly do this bad, but here we are. That supports my idea that you can't always use success at one place to predict success at another.

Forklift-warehouse-accident.gif

Good thing he wasn't wearing his safety harness. Knowing some stupid companies, he probably got fired for not wearing his belt instead of knocking down all the racks. Kind of how the NCAA looks at things now.

I am going to keep this very simple before my post. You're wrong. Hiring Richt was a bad idea and we had all the info before he was hired. This doesn't mean that Richt wouldn't do a better job (perhaps) than a prior coach at Miami or some chitty coaches on an atrocious list. It just means there was no logical reason to think Richt could achieve our goals.

The reason we hired Richt was because our decision makers have consistently failed us and they continue to fail us today.

You're right. Everyone has a "flaw" but everyone didn't fail over such a long period like Richt.

UGA deemed him a failure and said goodbye. UGA had every right to send him packing as he wasn't achieving their goals.

But what is that saying about trash and treasure?

Sure there were reasons like:

1. You don't desire to win it all,
2. You want a coach who had their best years a long time ago,
3. You don't desire to win your conference, and
4. You prefer a coach who wins less than 10 per season, who consistently lost to ranked opponents and better teams.

-----------------------

I have some questions for you, since "On paper there were as many reasons to hire Richt as anyone else, and more than most."

1. Over the last 25 years, how many P5 HCs, with such a large sample of coaching experience (10 years or more), are able to out perform their prior tenures?

2. Was Richt's failed experiment as OC HC known before he was hired at Miami?

3. Was Richt's record against his rivals known before he was hired at Miami (see below)?

Answer to Question 1: Mack Brown. Keep in mind he went from an inferior UNC to Texas.

Answer to Question 2: Yes

Average with Richt as the OC (2001-2006)

Total Offense (avg): 384
Scoring Offense (avg): 28.5

Average with Bobo as the OC (2007-2015)

Total Offense (avg): 421
Scoring Offense (avg): 34.1

Answer to Question 3: Yes. Also, look at the coaches he beat to get those wins.

Against UF:

2001: Spurrier 0-1
2002-04: Zook 1-2
2005-10: Meyer 1-5
2011-15: Muschump 3-1

Against LSU:

2001-04: Saban 1-1 (Doesn't play against LSU in 2001 and 2002)
2005-15: Miles 3-2 (Doesn't play against LSU in 2006, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2014 and 2015)

Alabama

2001-02: Franchione 1-0 (Doesn't play against Bama in 2001)
2003-06: Shula 1-0 (Doesn't play against Bama in 2004, 2005 and 2006)
2006-15: Saban 1-3 (Doesn't play against Bama in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014

I appreciate the work.

I'm not denying any of those points, and I'm not saying there was no reason for concern. I'm asking who else was there? Who was sitting around waiting for our call who looked better? People are all sprung on Butch, but he's got baggage and his record has as many holes with fewer wins than Richt. Leach? Same thing, he doesn't win his conference, loses a few every year. Mario? Did some winning (not a lot) at FIU, but that just gets him into al golden territory, there's no reason to think he can handle the Miami job. Honestly I'm not familiar with the specifics of the other names that were on our list, but I'd bet their records are all full of holes too.

I'm not arguing for Richt, I'm just saying all this hindsight is annoying. All of a sudden everybody knew he sucked the whole time or at least should have, like he had nothing going for him. And like there was somebody better. Not better in hindsight, but at the moment, there was a better candidate.

Was I delusional to think he'd have us winning 10+ games every year? That he'd make Miami look tempting to a great coach by showing how easy it was to win here? I see your argument, but can you really say those were crazy things to expect from him? Is it so clear I should have known better?

Advertisement
I appreciate the work.

I'm not denying any of those points, and I'm not saying there was no reason for concern. I'm asking who else was there? Who was sitting around waiting for our call who looked better? People are all sprung on Butch, but he's got baggage and his record has as many holes with fewer wins than Richt. Leach? Same thing, he doesn't win his conference, loses a few every year. Mario? Did some winning (not a lot) at FIU, but that just gets him into al golden territory, there's no reason to think he can handle the Miami job. Honestly I'm not familiar with the specifics of the other names that were on our list, but I'd bet their records are all full of holes too.

I'm not arguing for Richt, I'm just saying all this hindsight is annoying. All of a sudden everybody knew he sucked the whole time or at least should have, like he had nothing going for him. And like there was somebody better. Not better in hindsight, but at the moment, there was a better candidate.

Was I delusional to think he'd have us winning 10+ games every year? That he'd make Miami look tempting to a great coach by showing how easy it was to win here? I see your argument, but can you really say those were crazy things to expect from him? Is it so clear I should have known better?

Stop. Please stop. You’re not seeing the obvious. You’re too smart to not see it.

The issue lies with incompetence. There are names available, there will always be names available and said names may have “knocks” on them too because nobody is “perfect”. There is no guarantee that any of these names will get us to a championship but we know Richt had an insane amount of time and didn’t do it. In fact he stopped winning the conference a long time ago too...we knew all of this and the sample size was tremendous (15 years).

But we said, hire the retread. Not only hire him, let him call plays (which he failed at already as HC) and hire his dipchit offspring.

The problem has and is our decision makers. Our decision makers have been nothing but consistent...

1. 4 straight unnecessary extensions,
2. 3 straight atrocious hires,
3. 3 straight buyouts (each too late) and we wait for number 4,
4. Our current AD ***s trannys, needed 5 years to graduate Minnesota State Mankato, and fell a$s backwards into the position, and
5. It has been ~15 years from our last truly relevant season.

How do people not understand this by now? We love apathy. We have no accountability. We love the self-inflicted cancer approach.

Nothing likely will change until the whole process changes. It starts with bringing in a competent, passionate AD with autonomy.

Advertisement
Stop. Please stop. You’re not seeing the obvious. You’re too smart to not see it.

The issue lies with incompetence. There are names available, there will always be names available and said names may have “knocks” on them too because nobody is “perfect”. There is no guarantee that any of these names will get us to a championship but we know Richt had an insane amount of time and didn’t do it. In fact he stopped winning the conference a long time ago too...we knew all of this and the sample size was tremendous (15 years).

But we said, hire the retread. Not only hire him, let him call plays (which he failed at already as HC) and hire his dipchit offspring.

The problem has and is our decision makers. Our decision makers have been nothing but consistent...

1. 4 straight unnecessary extensions,
2. 3 straight atrocious hires,
3. 3 straight buyouts (each too late) and we wait for number 4,
4. Our current AD ***s trannys, needed 5 years to graduate Minnesota State Mankato, and fell a$s backwards into the position, and
5. It has been ~15 years from our last truly relevant season.

How do people not understand this by now? We love apathy. We have no accountability. We love the self-inflicted cancer approach.

Nothing likely will change until the whole process changes. It starts with bringing in a competent, passionate AD with autonomy.
This guy gets it.

Read an article on TOS and it’s very eye opening. Makes me want to puke. His best teams at Georgia he didn’t call plays. He had the easiest, cushiest job in America and actually ****ed it up. Look at all
the talent at GA last year and all of them were his guys, and I guarantee you if he was still there he would’ve had multiple losses. He had no one to compete against in recruiting. The more and more we read and what transpires on the field, and for that matter off the field, there really is only one solution. Unfortunately it will not happen this year. I never hated Golden this much, he had that cloud for years. Richt on the other hand, what excuse could you possibly make? It’s pathetic.

His gig at the U included being able to call plays. What a terrible mistake!!!

His gig at the U included being able to call plays. What a terrible mistake!!!
Exactly. What AD would do this? The same AD who prematurely extended his contract. The same AD who extended Al Golden. The very same AD who has absolutely no business being in the position. We will NEVER be back with his this AD. EVER.

Advertisement
I wasn't crying about anything, I was calling your thread stupid.
Considering the article was written yesterday that is considered new material. It was a good read so I shared my thoughts. This is a sports forum about Canes football and that’s a current event with this team. What else would you like to talk about since your the MOD of this board. If you don’t want to talk Canes football that’s fine you can walk down the street and kick rocks for all I care about. But please don’t comment in my thread again.

Considering the article was written yesterday that is considered new material. It was a good read so I shared my thoughts. This is a sports forum about Canes football and that’s a current event with this team. What else would you like to talk about since your the MOD of this board. If you don’t want to talk Canes football that’s fine you can walk down the street and kick rocks for all I care about. But please don’t comment in my thread again.

No more commenting on your thread, got it.

Advertisement
Back