Explain This Corching Mindset To Me

Tad Footeball

1996 Interim Big East Conference Commissioner
Premium
And not necessarily even specific only to Manny but:

- If you're a heralded coordinator that gets the promotion to head coach then why do you ever give up play calling duties?

- Why do you do this if your career has been essentially on one side of the ball so your influence/time spent on the other side of the ball will not be that great?

- Why do you do this if you don't have an actual protege that has been with you for years that you can/should trust to handle your old coordinator duties?

- Are you in such a rush to appear as the CEO that can successfully delegate authority while appearing to have a grasp of BOTH offense and defense yourself? Why does that matter? You already got the head coaching job. Other head coaching "greats" still handle play calling.

Advertisement
Saban does

- If you're a heralded coordinator that gets the promotion to head coach then why do you ever give up play calling duties?

- Why do you do this if your career has been essentially on one side of the ball so your influence/time spent on the other side of the ball will not be that great?

- Why do you do this if you don't have an actual protege that has been with you for years that you can/should trust to handle your old coordinator duties?

- Are you in such a rush to appear as the CEO that can successfully delegate authority while appearing to have a grasp of BOTH offense and defense yourself? Why does that matter? You already got the head coaching job. Other head coaching "greats" still handle play calling.
Saban doesn’t call the defense..bill doesn’t call the D..HC usually want to be involved with the whole team. Most great coaches take a CEO type approach so they can know what’s going on throughout the team

I am guessing their mindset is that as a 1st time head coach that they will still be learning how to do the head coach things and won't have enough time to give to the side of the ball they came from.

As for trying to be more involved on the other side - at least in this case - I think Manny thought that it was an attitude issue as much if not more than a schematics issue.

As for the protege, Blake did work for him before so he must have thought that he could run it.

I'll caveat it with obviously things have not gone as we (and I am sure Manny) expected, just guessing what his line of thinking was/is.

It happens everywhere in football.

You succeed enough at one Co-ordinator position to warrant HC consideration, only to hand over play calling duties to someone else. I've always been baffled by that.

Rivera in Carolina has taken over play calling duties on defence (because his job is on the line) and it's night and day from last year.

Pete Carroll called tha D while USC

Advertisement
Pete Carroll called tha D while USC

CIS favorites Lincoln Riley and Mike Leach both still call plays too.

Obviously not all (or even the majority) still do but if you know it's a strength of your team and your only "heir apparent" at that coordinator spot is someone with the resume of a Blake Baker then I still don't understand the rush to be CEO- especially when you're not even taking on the typical head corch pet project of special teams.

A little bit of personal PTSD on my part too as I'm also a Steelers fan that has been screaming the same at Mike Tomlin for years as well.

Explain this to me fellas ...... How do you not pull a player out of the game when he was ruled for targeting this almost cost us??? This was my final straw when I saw this. God bless Coach Manny but he is not it. We can't afford to have a leader in charge that is learning while being on the go.

Amateur Hour Coaches and I stand by this now !

Glad we pulled the W.
Go Canes!

Advertisement
Back